Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks guys. The engine is a Universal 5416. Yes, I can DIY some of this, and that would be MUCH easier if I was at my home slip. Unfortunately, the boat is "en route" at ChucklesR's slip (bet he's sorry now! ). I can try to get her moved to a marina not far from there and (hopefully) be able to do the work there, but it's not exactly a convenient location for DIY (it's about 2.5 hours, each way, from home).
isn't there a rule about borrowing a slip, that says the slip owner must help in all repairs necessary to get his slip back, or was it, he has the right to slip the lines any time he wants you gone.
it's one of those rules
any thing on a boat can be fixed with enough sweat and some money
those are nice boats worth fixing
its a sail boat, sail it home
JimMcGee and jimgo like this.

Last edited by overbored; 04-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I am so sorry to hear this. Crushing, I'm sure.

Take a look at your survey agreement. They almost always exclude the motor or say something to the effect that they will note anything they notice, but suggest a mechanic look it over.

Take a deep breath and consider the plan. Is it insured? If not, I would probably rather fix it, than scrap it and start over. For one, scrapping it will be a huge pain. If she's insured and they'll give you your money back, its certainly not too late to find another.

The suggestion that the owner refund something is a stretch IMO. They may have had as little idea as you and you accepted her after having her surveyed. Not trying to rub it in, quite the opposite, just suggesting that the PO may not be a good direction, unless you really feel they pulled one over on you.

Again, we all feel for you right now. Lousy way to kick off the season.
Faster and JimMcGee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-03-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Put it down as, all apart of sailing. You'll be sailing a year later and know your boat much better. I don't know the waters your sailing on, but the dinghy, a few friends, and rising to the challenge, will get you some satisfaction.
Old 04-03-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If Keith hit something on delivery and that "caused" it then insurance should pick up damages.

The mouth of the Magothy (where the problem "suddenly" occurred) is indeed usually carpet bombed with crab pots, and a narrow channel through which debris flows. Perhaps a call to him and a detailed report on the circumstances of how and what happened is in order (hint hint).
Then a haul to prove it.

(Keith was Jim's delivery skipper)

Last edited by chucklesR; 04-03-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added Keith explaination
Old 04-03-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

The shaft misalignment didn't tear up the hull or present itself until the damping plate let go which was the final nail for the motor mounts as well. You're surveyor should have been able to say "these motor mounts are shot, and are prone to failure if stressed" so do get after him such as you can.

Last December in Nassau a guy let his former backstay (now a dink painter, made of Dyneema) wrap his prop up. It broke both cast motor mount brackets on the motor as well as his motor mounts and one fiberglass stringer that the mounts bolt through. This sat his motor down low enough where the shaft are up the shaft log etc and almost sank the boat. His barking dog below was his salvation- as it had him realize his floorboards were floating.

We were able to get the brackets rewelded- while we reglassed the stringer and made big backing plates for inside it on both sides. New mounts were ordered from the states. The shaft log was repaired with epoxy stick from the inside. The boat worked fine after.

Point is- frequently mechanical failures will have a dominoe effect- rather than a simple "weakest link revealing itself" effect. I wouldn't ever consider chain sawing a boat over this. Don't hate the surveyor because he didn't forsee the magnitude of the impending failure. He should have been able to warn against some aspects of it however. And yeah- should come off some money for you. A mechanical survey isn't neccssarrilly part of your marine survey however. As was alluded to a few posts back.

The other point is
All of this work can be done on the hook. Give chuckles back his slip- and make him drive you around to the parts dealers and hand you tools. Fix boat and go home. I've never had anything other than atomic 4s in a boat of my own- so believe me - I know exactly how demoralizing wrenching on an engine for days at a time- IN A SAILBOAT DAMNIT- can be. I will not tell you that it brings satisfaction when it's done the way installing a slick new traveler or self tailing winches etc is satisfying. I find I feel better about myself an my boat after replacing a flag halyard than I do after pulling an atomic four with my halyard and replacing the rings and bearings in it on the sole if my cabin. It sucks- but when it's over- you'll always remember to **** that motor down as soon as humanly possible- because you never know what's gonna go next... So you'll sail your ass off compared to people who think "motors in sailboats is fun!- it's easie than wind!"

If you want to chainsaw it- ill give you 500 usd toward an outboard and bracket to bring her to sav ga and do it here. I want a few parts, and I've never chainsawed a boat. I also think shooting one with a 12 gauge would be fun.

I think it's a bit premature however to kill her.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by c. breeze; 04-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

So sorry to hear this jimgo (& chuckles).
Chuck makes a convincing case that a crab pot line could have been the catalyst that caused most of your problems. If everything "suddenly" went to he11 then something caused it to occur. Your engine may have been just barely functional before the event but the damages went up your drive train, like a line of dominoes falling. Excessive force on the prop shaft from the wrong direction could do this.

Things may seem bleak now but do not throw in the towel just yet. Think of the positive things: Chuck & Mary have saved you storage fees for $$$45 days (great folks those two!), and now you know the weaknesses in your boat that need to be addressed. If you are new to the wrenching game the thought of doing these repairs yourself may seem daunting or insurmountable, but they are not. You can fix most of this yourself with some thought and consideration. You will also learn a he!! of a lot in the process.

I'd be looking for a relatively cheap diy yard I could haul the boat out in, then plan a few weekends you could go down and start repairing it.
- disconnect prop shaft coupling from output flange
- remove motor from mounts
- repair mounts
- bring shaft to prop shop, you might need a new shaft & coupling
- mechanic for damper plate or diy
- check Cutless bearing, shaft log hose and packing gland (all parts you needed to get familiar with anyway)
- reassemble and check shaft alignment

Still, it sucks that this happened when it did.
JimMcGee likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Caleb can tell ya all about my landlord Jim.
Old 04-03-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry for you Jim! What a setback.

Keep us posted as you work through this. I have nothing to offer besides moral support. Good luck, buddy.

Old 04-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

Caleb can tell ya all about my landlord Jim.
I'd rather not have to recount that tale...

Everybody has one:

Old 04-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Capt.Aaron, the boat is in Maryland, and the home slip will be in NJ. Hip tow wouldn't be a bad option for a short ride, but I'm not sure I want to move her through the C&D canal, down the Delaware, and up the NJ coast that way. May have to take Chuck's suggestion and move the boat to the Northern end of the Chesse and find a temporary home for her there.
1975 Albacore 15