Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Once I get her fixed and to her new "home", she'll be an hour and forty-five minutes from me. It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but that buys me almost an hour and a half more time "on the ground" at the marina, which is huge from a productivity perspective.

It wouldn't be so bad if she was in the water - at least then it would be more fun for my kids to come down with me. As it is now, I'd be too worried about them falling off an almost 10' high structure if they tried to move around!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Once I get her fixed and to her new "home", she'll be an hour and forty-five minutes from me. It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but that buys me almost an hour and a half more time "on the ground" at the marina, which is huge from a productivity perspective.

It wouldn't be so bad if she was in the water - at least then it would be more fun for my kids to come down with me. As it is now, I'd be too worried about them falling off an almost 10' high structure if they tried to move around!
Plus if it is in the water you can spend the night on board, so even if you are not going out you have a whole day to work on it. Not many yards will let you overnight and hotels get expensive!
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I went down again today. They cleaned off the engine, and it looks better. It still needs a paint job, but that's not happening at this point. The parts have been ordered, and should be in this week. I'm tied up over Independence Day, so I can't get there this weekend anyway, and they've added me to the calendar with the intention of having everything done by the following weekend.

I got there at about 11:00 AM, and the boat still had a smell to it. I'm guessing its the head, because short of ripping out the headliner, I don't know where the other odor could be coming from. So I stopped at West Marine and got some of their head odor stopper. I added that to the bowl and it foamed almost right away. I flushed it, and it made the head burp. It was kinda gross. So I flushed water (as per the directions), and it foamed and burped again. I wound up flushing almost an extra half gallon of water before things seemed to calm down some.

Then I hung the bimini again, and I brought the dodger with the intention of fitting it and adding the snaps so it would almost be done (still need to add the awning rope to the front). I got two snaps installed, and started to hear thunder. So, I packed up and headed home after only about an hour and a half. On the plus side, I should "just" need to install the snaps, then I will be done the bimini and dodger. With any luck, that means I should have a dodger to use on my trip "home" when the boat is ready.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Look familar? TheOP painted it white.

I have no proof but was told he replaced the original with the same. From knowing the old guy when buying the boat I do believe that he did.

I don't know why I've not taken more photos of my boat's innards LOL

Jim, a couple cans of Hi temp (of your color choice) they won't let you loose a couple of hrs to spray it?
That rear seal is impressive!

Looks like they are taking care of you in a very professional manner!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-30-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

The old paint is flaking pretty badly in places. I'd need a few hours just to knock it all down. If it stays fairly clean, I may paint it over the winter. Granted, it won't be as easy, but i dont expect to be back to HH before it is back in the boat.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-01-2013

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41

Jim why not wash the engine and paint it? I just washed my car engine to locate an oil leak and it looks good enough to paint. I used Gunk engine de-greaser and the power washer at the car wash. Looks great!
It's allot easier to clean and paint it out of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...-saab-pcv-rudder-unmolding-024.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It's an OCD thing, but I prefer engines are painted with their OEM color.

I'm betting its not going to drop back in the exact day they are done. You may get a small window to clean her up, if you coordinate and they cooperate.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-01-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I think some of the new engine paints may have some sort of better bonding then old oil based paints many of us have used.. Maybe those that have used them can chime in.

my current "project"!
Old 07-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Minne, you're probably right. But it will probably be reassembled some time next week, during the week. I won't be able to get there until the weekend, when the engine will likely be in the boat.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Minne, you're probably right. But it will probably be reassembled some time next week, during the week. I won't be able to get there until the weekend, when the engine will likely be in the boat.
That would mean they install it within a couple of days of finishing the repair. On one hand, that would be great. On the other, that would be surprising. These are the same guys that had trouble returning your calls.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.