Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I forgot to give a shout to North Sails. The UV cover on my jib was shot - the thread had been eaten by UV. I tried sewing it on my heavy-duty machine, but the foam in the luff made it too thick for my machine to handle. I called several local lofts, but they were all too busy to take me in any reasonable period of time (most said 3-6 weeks). So, I asked at Haven Harbour, and they said that they use North. North Sails even picks up sails from the marina, which saved me from having to drive to Stevensville or Annapolis. My sail was ready in only a few days, which is GREAT! I still haven't had a chance to hoist it (something about turning my boat into a "kite" while on jackstands didn't seem like a good idea), but I'm very happy with their turn-around time, and the people I talked to were very nice.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Do you have a "sail inventory" on the boat Jim?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

No. Just the furling jib/genoa, and the main. I'd like to add to the inventory for redundancy purposes, but for now, this will have to do.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

ck your pm Jim

my current "project"!
Old 07-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I spoke with the marina a little earlier this afternoon. The replacement transmission and damping plate have arrived, but they are still waiting on the heat exchanger and the rear seal. Those are expected any day now. I also asked them to paint the engine for me, if they thought it was necessary (and I suspect they will think so).
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-08-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Hang in there.
jimgo (07-08-2013)
Old 07-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

The suspense is killing me. I haven't heard from the marina, so I'm guessing that they are still waiting for parts. That being said, the way I found out the boat had been pulled from the water a few months ago was by driving down there and seeing another boat in her (temporary) slip. It's entirely possible that when I head down on Sunday, she'll be floating in the water somewhere.

I wish they had a webcam.

Actually, no I don't. Then my productivity would REALLY drop.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-12-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

The suspense is killing us too Jim! Here's hoping!
chef2sail and edguy3 like this.

my current "project"!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
jimgo (07-12-2013)
Old 07-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Well, no luck. Apparently they are having trouble finding the rear seal for the engine. As a Universal dealer, they have to work through the appropriate channels to find the parts, and that has been dragging on for a while. While I was there, I remembered about the engine being based on a Kubota engine, and asked if they would check with the Kubota dealer, which they agreed to do soon if the Universal distributor, or Universal/Westerbeke itself, can't help.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

More than once, I have sourced the part for the boat yard, when they have difficulty. Ironically, they are sometimes limited to certain distributors where they get wholesale pricing or have billing established. You can order retail on the internet anywhere.

They've typically been happy to allow it, because the few bucks they make on the single part is being eaten up with too much research and phone calls.

Once, I had a boat yard swear to me that a part was not in inventory in the entire country, but I was looking at it online, while on the phone. The manager swore the inventory was wrong, so I called the vendor and asked them to verify. Long story short, I had it drop shipped to the yard overnight the next day. It turns out that their outside electronic contractor told them it did not exist, but did not have access to this particular source.

The internet has become a great tool for dealing with misinformation from boat yards. I'm not saying yours is misleading. They did admit they have limited sources, which is common. Yours gets a gold star for being honest.
jimgo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.