Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
It also moves the liability for parts selection, reliability, and replacement to you.

/ed
Each time I've done it, I went looking for the part number that my boat yard gave me. I suppose I would have a problem returning it, if they were wrong. But they would still be liable for being wrong.

Perhaps coincidental, but I've only ordered OEM parts this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
You rock Jim! thanks! Just checked on my boat. All is good, bilge smells a bit LOL engine starts with the new key switch, PSS seal still dry, All the rain cleaned allot of the deck mildew off somewhat. Also and; NO floating tree trunks under the boat! But know this; it IS deadly hot out there. (at least for me)
I agree about the heat. Yesterday was nasty! I installed my home-made dodger and put all the snaps in, which took almost 2 hours. Then I decided to take off some of the trim so I could rebed it (I think some of the water in my cabin was from there), and 1 of the 5 pieces gave me a REALLY hard time. That piece alone took over an hour. All told, I was out in the sun for almost 5 hours before I called it quits. I was exhausted and hot, and just needed to get into air conditioning!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Each time I've done it, I went looking for the part number that my boat yard gave me. I suppose I would have a problem returning it, if they were wrong. But they would still be liable for being wrong.

Perhaps coincidental, but I've only ordered OEM parts this way.
I talked to Torrensen, and they don't have any of my seals. Their quick search of other vendors also wasn't successful. They said they could order one, but it would be 2 weeks.

In the meantime, I double-checked Denise's Kubota part number and it does appear to be the same part. I found a (somewhat) local distributor who has one in stock, and told the marina that if they can't find the Universal part soon, I'll pay the $30 for the part and have it sent to them so they can confirm whether or not it is a match. I am tired of waiting, and don't want $30 to keep me from getting in the water 2+ weeks sooner.
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I was on ebay and sailrite.. More confused then ever! ARRRG $$$$$ looking for "fabric" sheese! Hundreds of choices! The Bim on my boat is a very light tan. "linen" color I think. The girl that made it bombed big time even though the bim itstelf is very well made. I can't get her back for anything. So Pat and me are going to "go for it" and start sewing. she's lots of sewing exp. me.. eh.. ok so I can't do everything! LOL
My boat has a dodger :P but it's blue I want to do it over in Tan or linen or what ever the $#%^& is. I would only use a dodger in cool or cold weather.. they really block air flow when underway, even with the roll up clear stuff.

Just get the seal sent Jim. a $10-30 item isn't going to P.... off the shop.. It didn't even look like your engine needed one.. which (I think) can be determined by bench running the engine. of that would mean more $
Hang on Jim! your almost there!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

You are lucky that Torreson does not have your rear seal.
They can charge up to 10 X the Kubota dealer price for the same parts.
Get used to sourcing your parts from Kubota instead.
T37Chef, deniseO30 and blowinstink like this.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Has this very strong feeling that universal engine part vendors are searching for parts the same way she did
jimgo likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 07-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
I was on ebay and sailrite.. More confused then ever! ARRRG $$$$$ looking for "fabric" sheese! Hundreds of choices! The Bim on my boat is a very light tan. "linen" color I think.
I think SailRite has a book of fabric samples that you can rent for a few dollars, and that could be a very good way to narrow it down. I didn't go that route - I found a few vendors on eBay who had fabrics that looked close to what I wanted and asked for samples, then we picked the one we liked.

Quote:
My boat has a dodger :P but it's blue I want to do it over in Tan or linen or what ever the $#%^& is. I would only use a dodger in cool or cold weather.. they really block air flow when underway, even with the roll up clear stuff.
Making the dodger was much harder than making the bimini. If you decide to go that route, get the SailRite DVD. If you want, I can lend you my copy.

Quote:
Just get the seal sent Jim. a $10-30 item isn't going to P.... off the shop.. It didn't even look like your engine needed one.. which (I think) can be determined by bench running the engine. of that would mean more $
The big problem is that bench testing would require reassembling everything and, if it fails, disassembling again. Plus, it's probably original to the engine. I'd rather not be 2 days out (halfway along my migration north) and have that fail.

In the end, you're probably right about just ordering the part!
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

PM Jim.

my current "project"!
Old 07-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I'm glad I held off. Just got an E-mail from the marina, the parts are on their way. Universal/Westerbeke shipped a seal, and everything should be here this week. That doesn't mean the boat will be ready before this weekend, but we're closer!
deniseO30, arf145 and utchuckd like this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Ah Ha!

my current "project"!