Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013
Rocket Scientist

Cap'n Russ is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

And quite frankly, with the weather we've been having lately, you wouldn't want to be on her anyway!
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

LOL...yes and no. It would have been nicer to do the work I've been doing if she was in the water where it was a little cooler! But I agree, late July and August aren't really my preferred times to be doing much of anything outside.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I spoke with the marina this morning, and Dragon Wing is in the slings and about to be launched. They still need to test the engine to make sure that she is working properly, but we're getting closer!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Good news!!!!!!
jimgo likes this.

Old 07-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Celebrate! Then shake her down well. She's undergone major surgery and its common to need a tweak. Hopefully, only a tweak.
jimgo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Thats great news Jim. We will be anchored in Swan Creek Friday night leaving for Worton for our clubs Mini Vous on Saturday night. Looks like great weather and swimming nettle free. GIve us a shout on the VHF or phone if you are out Saturday testing her.

I have to test out the time the trip to Worton takes as someone pulled DFerrons leg saying it took 8 hours for an IP from Rock Hall, I mean I know those IPs are famously slow, but 8 hours??????

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-27-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I headed to Haven Harbour today to check out their handiwork and to knock out a few more projects. Hearing that I was going to be within a half mile of him, Dave (Chef2Sail) was sure to high-tail it out of the area before I arrived.

When I got there, the CFO suggested that I take Dragon Wing for a test-spin with Haven Harbour's diesel mechanic. She started right up, sounded great, and roared along at the incredible speed at which these boats are capable. Ok, ok...she hit 3000 RPM and sounded good, no overheating, and no belching of antifreeze or oil. I was very pleased. I still don't know what the total cost will be, they need to "review" the charges, so my exact level of "pleasedness" may change!

The fuel dock had a waiting line, so I didn't do the pump-out that I wanted, but they will do it during the week.

During the repair, three small problems were noted: 1) the water heater wasn't connected properly and may have been sucking sea water for some time, so the mechanic disconnected it and recommended bench testing it at some point; 2) the temperature sender and gauge seem to be incompatible (gauge reads 200 degrees, but IR thermometer says 130 outside); and 3) the oil pressure alarm isn't hooked up. The previous owner had 2 gauges and 3 sensors/senders aboard, so I've asked the marina to see if any of the various permutations/combinations of the equipment might actually work properly. They are looking into the oil pressure alarm and getting me an estimate for that work.

When I spoke with them, they also recommended that I not leave quite yet. They want me to run the engine for a few hours, so we know everything is good. Initially, I was inclined to run out of there ASAP (i.e., Monday morning), but I think actually that their suggestion is a good one. So, I'm planning on staying there for a few more weekends, until things quiet down for me, then make the move up to Barnegat Bay. At this rate, I probably won't be moving her until close to the end of August.

While I was there, I re-fit the dodger, which I had adjusted last week to try to get a better fit. I decided to shock the fresh water system, and while I was letting the bleach do its thing, I started cleaning up and putting away a lot of "stuff". The floor still needs to be cleaned properly, but the cabin actually looks somewhat organized now. Well, more correctly, it doesn't look like a war zone.

The cabin also had lost most of the smell that had plagued it for much of the time I owned it. I had originally thought that it was head odor, and I'm sure that's contributing to it, but I now think it may have been bilge odor. Several weeks ago when I was there, I had spent a long time cleaning the headliner and other parts of the cabin, and the following week things actually smelled decent. After that, though, the cabin really had a weird, sickeningly sweet smell. In an effort to help get rid of it, last week I decided to put bilge cleaner in the bilge. If nothing else, I figured the orange scent might help mask things a bit. Well, today when I opened her up, I wasn't hit with a wall of nasty smell. The marina had apparently pumped out the bilge, and it looked much better, too. I'm sure the cooler temperature this week also helped, but I'm glad I tried the cleaner.

For the first time since we bought her, I left today feeling comfortable about having my kids aboard, so I may pack 'em up next weekend and bring them down and go for a ride.
T37Chef, blowinstink, MMR and 2 others like this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Great news Jim. Actually we left about 10 quickly as a huge PB dragged anchor and created mayhem in the anchorage. We were peacefully eating breakfast in the cockpit when we heard horns blowing and saw the idiot . He never Ike up despite having 15 boas pul anchor to get out of his way.

Had a great sail to the Chester River, Cackaway and are here for the night. Heing back across the Bay in the AM.

It's great news that the boat s nearing completion. I know it will be expensive, but considering wht you paid for her, and th impromptus you made while he was being fixed you make out with peace of mind with the new tranny and engine overhaul. Won't have to worry as much about hat the PO did now.

Hope the wife and kids like her.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-27-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks Dave! Sorry I missed you again. Hopefully one of these weekends!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Great news that you've got her running again! As I said above, you definitely want to stick around and shake her down. She will require tweaking after major surgery. If you get her home, you're not only going to the end of the line for maintenance, but you'll have to pay to fix any inadvertent mistakes. There are always a couple in such a larger job.

Plan to take a day sail or two, not just a 30 min run.
jimgo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.