Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

What about replacing it with electric?

Not that I'm advocating that necessarily, I'm just curious how you think it would compare to putting another diesel in. We are in a similar situation, except we bought our boat that way.

I hate outboards....but it works (just barely)...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I hear ya, but keep in mind, I delivered a boat that broke down in Jamaica and sailed enginless off the dock, to Columbia, 450 miles south. If it were me, and I had a dock at home. I would hip or sail out to sea, sail north to the nearest inlet to my house and sail or hip tow it to my dock. I understand you not wanting to do this. Also, I haven't even had an engine for 20 years and thousands of miles sailed. This may be a good opportunity for you understand how much you don't need the engine.
Old 04-03-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Saddens me ta hear of this Jim.
As others have said; take a breath and look at it anew another day. Motor mounts and plates are replaceable. All else is reparable or maint items anyway. Do a self-survey of what'll be needed and shop it out.
I'm sure *someone* will be willing to bear a hand in the repairs
Old 04-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

OK, y'all are making me feel better about her, thanks! It was just SO frustrating to hear the marina guy say "well, I think the repair cost is going to be more than the value of the boat". Of course, that does include his labor.

I've asked the captain about any accidents and he says no, but I think he's afraid I'm going to come after him for the repair costs. I think I need to call my insurance company in the AM to find out more about what's covered. Then a call to the surveyor.

Is it possible that the prop tangled in something, then broke the "something" that tangled it? As I understand it, damping plates don't normally "just" fail, but if the shaft suddenly stops (e.g., the transmission seizes or the prop hits something/gets tangled) the centrifugal force can be enough to break the plate. I think that's what happened here. I don't think the transmission seized, unless it happened temporarily, because the shaft can be spun by hand and I believe the shaft is still attached to the transmission. That basically leaves the prop getting tangled in something at some point, but then it had to come free, or else the proop and shaft wouldn't spin (the mechanic was able to spin it by hand today).

If the shaft locked up, could that also have caused the engine mounts to break? I'm guessing they were probably original, so any major force would probably have done them in.

If the motor mounts broke, could have have lead to the misalignment in the shaft? I can understand the misalignment resulting in the shaft wearing into the hull in that area. I don't know how far/bad the wear is; could the shifting of the motor have caused some of that?

The cutlast bearing was great during the survey; it was super stable without any movement.

Sorry for all the questions; just trying to understand before I talk to the surveyor and the insurance company.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear about your troubles, Jim.

Given the situation you have, the outboard idea might be workable.

I just picked up an '04 Honda 9.9hp for $1,300; I had to jump as soon as I saw the ad on Craig's List, but the deals are out there.

IF your transom can accommodate a motor mount, the 9.9 with the extra long leg and 4 blade hi-thust prop would definitely move a 31 foot boat. Not against chop and wind, but it would move it. The control would be dicey during maneuvering, you'd need a dedicated engine man hangin' off the stern rail (and maybe an engine order telegraph! )

It's far from perfect, but I think it would get you home.*

I upgraded my engine mount, I'd be happy to give you a deal on the old one. It is plenty strong enough, it just doesn't have enough springs to pick up the new motor. If you do go this route, use a real motor mount and not some 2x6 contraption.

Good luck!

Email me if you want that mount, I can put it in the box from the new one, when it arrives. You have my address, I bought the spinnaker from Island Time II.

Ken

*I revise my opinion, it would get you a few hundred yards from home and then you'll need a hip tow to get into your marina.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Aaron, to clarify, the "home" slip isn't at my home; it's at a marina about an hour and a half from my house. But at least that's "free"!

As to sailing her home, I do understand that, at least in theory, that's an option. The sails haven't been used in several years and need to be more thoroughly inspected before I'd be comfortable relying on them.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-03-2013

glassdad is on a distinguished road

Are you sure that the "Marina Guy" is telling you the truth? Or that he is correct? He could be wrong on the severity of the problems.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 04-03-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I just looked at your album and have to say there is no way a boat like that goes to the dumpster. Looks like a really good design for the Barnegat Bay and a wonderful cruising boat. All things considered, you will make use of a dependable inboard diesel, so do some good fixing and get sailing. Caleb's suggestions about the shaft, cutlass and strut are right on and probably should be done anyway just to give you that peace of mind when running a channel or threading through an inlet.
Your new watch word: "Busted nuckles here I come".
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Aaron, to clarify, the "home" slip isn't at my home; it's at a marina about an hour and a half from my house. But at least that's "free"!

As to sailing her home, I do understand that, at least in theory, that's an option. The sails haven't been used in several years and need to be more thoroughly inspected before I'd be comfortable relying on them.
I dig it. Sounds like you'll be doing some driving. My boat was stored a 3 hour drive from my house in my family's back yard in Miami. I drove up every weekend, 52 weekends in a row, to restore it. Labour of love. I made an adventure out of it. Of course driving through the Key's is almost alway's pleasent.
Old 04-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Jim,

So sorry to hear about this. That sucks. Don't give in yet.

I was going to help Jim move the boat to Barnegat or at least Cape May. I am sad to see this otherwise nice looking and well made boat temporarily incapacitated. Jim don't give up on her. The thoughts of moving her north and having her pulled and having the work done properly are good ones. Maybe the money you would have spent on the marina this year would be wiser spent on repairing her on the hard to use next year. She is a well made boat and just needs a "heart repair".

For those of you who insist with the uniformed posts " just sail it", my thoughts are you need to just stow it. The boat is located in an area which will require a reliable engine for safety and at least for the movement part of the way including the C&D canal, the Delaware River and the Barnegat Inlet.

I highly doubt a crab line this time of the year was the culprit. The boat ( 16 hp 2 cylinder Universal) was motored extremely hard for 2+ days into winds of 25-35 mph and rough 4 foot Chesapeake Bay chop. Weighing 110000 lbs. plus the engine not having been used for over a year, probably contributed to the demise of the already old suspect connecting pieces. The days this boat traveled were rough conditions for any boat much less an unproved one.

Bad motor mounts, badly aligned shaft should have been issue picked up at the time of the survey inspection and I would be hammering at the inspector. Had the inspector found these you would have had to replace them anyway should you have bought this boat.

These are what I would consider normal expenses to be expected when buying a 30 year old boat. However they should have been identified. Hoses are the same issue. I would have expected to replace ALL of them on a boat this age when I bought it, if only for peace of mind. Buying an aged boat ( I did also) means you need to reset some of the maintenance items back to zero hour so you know what their expectancy is. Hoses, Transmission fluid, Filters, Starter, Engine mounts, Packing, impellers, alignment etc. all fall into this. I would also add that new injectors, water pumps, restoring thru hulls should be done in the first couple years of owning an older boat...again for peace of mind.

After talking to Jim on the phone a number of times I know he was aware of this and didn't have unrealistic expectations about these eventual expenses. But to be faced immediately right away is a bummer, but should not be the end of the world for this good boat. Jim try not to let this large disappointment make you throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sometime you have to take one step backwards to take two forwards.

Your boat is overall a sound one and in fairly good condition with years left of service. Moving her north through a tow like to the Sassafras would be a good idea. Have her pulled and worked on. Move her to an area you can do the work on her you can to save money, and have a professional do the tranny, shaft alignment and motor mounts all at the same time. Maybe have the engine given a once over would be good also.
Maryland Boat Dealers | Visit Our Maryland Marina | 410-275-8171
This is only 1.5 hours from your house.

The fix may not be as bad as you think. If it is a couple of thousand, which is what I would expect to have it up to snuff, then keep her on a mooring there for the summer. It would cost $1400. That plus the $2000 in repairs would be less than Tall Oaks for the season and you'd have a boat up to snuff.

Maybe Boat US will pay for your tow.

You can replace all the hoses, impeller, fuel filter, belts, and work on the cabin upgrades at the same time.

I and others will help you with whatever we can.

Don give up the ship here matey.
ccriders, jimgo and CarbonSink62 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner