Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Bubbles, thanks for the warning. I wasn't going to do anything before pulling the manual and seeing what was recommended.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Take any family photos, or are you waiting to get her 'out there'?
No family photos yet. I'm waiting 'til we at least leave the dock!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

No rush. Get her wrung out, get comfortable with her. We've been with you this long (in spirit), we will wait for you. Have fun!
jimgo likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I'm shooting for leaving Rock Hall on Aug. 18. Can't promise the HWH will be working. Anyone want to go along on what I hope will be a more sedate trip than Rock Dawg's?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Whoa, hang on shipmate. Make sure you carefully RTFM on that one. Many furler bearings or indeed, bearings in marine blocks and hardware, do not want any kind of lubricant. You simply flush them out with fresh water. Petroleum distillates may damage the bearings.

If you absolutely insist on squirting something in there, contrary to the manual, I recommend Sailkote by McLube. That stuff is safe to spray on nearly anything and provides amazing reduction in friction.
Is why I asked what kind of furling system. Some of the older ones like Good/ Profurl do have the bearings packed in a sealed lubricated area and do need to be repacked and sealed after time. It is a pain in the ass job with the little balls falling everywhere. They also get flat spotted after time. ( ask me how I know). Is why I went with the Harken when I replaced it.

My newer Harken !V just requires a good fresh water rinsing. What kind of furler system is it

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is the holding tank in the head? If not, the smell would not be from failing to pump it. If it is, they're usually not a permeable material, so its probably the hoses that stink, or possibly leaking connections. Permeated hoses and bad connections never get better and your wife may always turn her nose up....

I would replace them. Lousy job, not terribly expensive, but is DIY. Most people do not take proper care of onboard waste systems and cause odor. They should not smell. If you start over, you can insure they never do. Get Peggy Hall's book Get Rid of Boat Odors. It's the bible. Your wife will thank you and you won't be on the receiving end of criticism when you just want to go cruising.

Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owners Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor: Peggie Hall: 9781892399151: Amazon.com: Books

Then get Raritan K.O., which I think she invented and sold them the rights.

Minnie recommendation is spot on. Use the Trident green stripe sanitation hose ( comes in black and white). It is far superior to almost everything else.

I spent today putting another hole in Haleakulas hull. It was for a second holding tank vent. I put a 1 inch one right under the Rub rail and put drilled a new fitting into the holding tank ( it was gross, stunk and was done quickly)
I did this to give better aeration to the holding tank. The original C&C spec was a 1/2 inch vent hose. Just didn't seem to be enough. We didn't have a smell, but when it reached the 1/2 full point ( 12 gallons) to much pressure on the toilet handle IMHO. Now its a breeze. Peggy says the more aeration the better

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I bought her book and am working my way through it. Once the head is pumped out, I plan on rebuilding the head and replacing the hoses. Since I was going that far, I was planning on removing the macerateor pump and related hoses. I don't expect to be in a position to do overboard dumps any time soon, and the pump takes up some prime real estate. I also need to make sure the vent isn't clogged. I looked for it a few weeks ago, but didn't see it. I was perusing my online photos the other day and saw where it is, so that's a good start!

Regarding the furler, I am not sure of the brand. It uses a track with two slots (though the sail only goes in one of them) and the furling line wraps inside an enclosed drum. The job halyard attaches to a car that rides up the track and the head of the job is attached to the car. The car serves as the swivel. There is a picture of the furler in my gallery, but I can't link to it (typing on my phone).
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I bought her book and am working my way through it. Once the head is pumped out, I plan on rebuilding the head and replacing the hoses. Since I was going that far, I was planning on removing the macerateor pump and related hoses. I don't expect to be in a position to do overboard dumps any time soon, and the pump takes up some prime real estate. I also need to make sure the vent isn't clogged. I looked for it a few weeks ago, but didn't see it. I was perusing my online photos the other day and saw where it is, so that's a good start!

Regarding the furler, I am not sure of the brand. It uses a track with two slots (though the sail only goes in one of them) and the furling line wraps inside an enclosed drum. The job halyard attaches to a car that rides up the track and the head of the job is attached to the car. The car serves as the swivel. There is a picture of the furler in my gallery, but I can't link to it (typing on my phone).

Think about that since you are close to the ocean, and I can forsee ocean trips for you in the future in the Ocean . It's way easy to dump once out three miles. Nice to have the option. All it is is a y valve and either hand or mascerator pump. Can be a bitch if you re offshore looking for a pump out and I'd hate to come in an inlet just or that if I was full.

For someone inland I can understand. But a small pump and one hose to a thru hull isn't a big deal. Especially if its there already.

Jut think about it.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

You'll have to come see our set-up, Dave. We lose almost an entire locker under our starboard settee due to the pump.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

BTW, wasn't discounting the advice. Just thinking that it wouldn't be hard to put it back in in the future, and at this point we're probably going to be staying in the Bay at least into 2015. I expect/hope to be pumping out regularly, too.

But your point about "emergency" situations is well made.
1975 Albacore 15