Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I have a 5416 motor and trans we just pulled for my repower project. It's old but it runs and it is on a pallet.
dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I get it. But can't he go out in the Atlantic, sail north to N.J. and then Back in. I know sailboats that handle worse than a modern boat sailed these waters for hundreds of years before the eng. was invented. When my eng. died for good 20 years ago, I sailed it 400 miles home, through draw bridges, creeks strong tidals and learned how well I could get by with out it, I never put it back in. True I'm misinformed on the actual area, and I can take a "Stow it" comment, and I to respect your posts and oppinions, but I bet he could sail it from Maryland to N.J. Maybe not up through the way your say'n. He might have to back track, go out and .............aH @#!*% what do I know? He's probably 40 miles up river and and has to get 40 miles up another you're right I'll stow it.
Ha you make me chuckle. He's only 25 miles from the top of he Chessie. The 18 miles of narrow canal ( no sailing allowed) , then 48 miles in a nasty tidal river. I ave actually sailed some of the Delaware , but 90% of the sailboats motor it.

Now you are Cape May NJ and certainly sail able up the coast, but to Coe in he extreme dangerous inlet which is narrowed and no tacking you really need to motor in the Inlet at Barneget. Total trip 120 miles

Alternatively he could sail down he Cheesie (120 miles to the entrance to the Atlantic ) then up to Barnegat ( 192 Miles) but still need the motor to safely come in. Total is 310 miles vs 120.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Jim,

Don't give up. BL Jones is right. Glad we talked tonight. I know its frustrating. You got a good boat. She just needs heart bypass. The body is fine.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks again guys; the feedback has been very helpful. I broke the news to my wife earlier today, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by her reaction. We're still needing key pieces of information (e.g., worst-case and best-case estimates from the marina that include actual dollar figures, whether the insurance company will pick up any part of it, etc.), so we're not quite ready to take a shotgun or chainsaw to her yet. I have a few phone calls to make in the morning, then I should be in a better position to figure out the plan. I think the leading candidate is still to have the marina do the repairs, but to take the time pressure off of them. If they'll work a deal on storing her on land for me (they're dropping boats in the water now), I'm OK with waiting a few weeks for the repairs if necessary. If I'm not going to be doing the engine repairs (and I'd REALLY prefer not to), then I'm OK with her being 2.5 hours away. I can still go down and knock out a few things that I want done.

The next trick will be getting the parts for the engine. I've found a used transmission, but I'm leaning toward a new one, if I can find a direct drop-in for the HBW-5. The engine seemed to run OK, so I'm not inclined to replace that (unless I found a REALLY good deal on one that I knew was in great shape). I'll probably go ahead and replace the motor mounts if they really do appear to be shot, or even worn, and will need to find those, too. Then, of course, there's the damping plate itself.

One of my frustrations is that Silver Cloud Marina, where we're headed, is a Westerbeke dealer and authorized service center, where the local marina isn't. That means (at least in my mind) that our home marina would have been much better prepared to help fix the engine. I've E-mailed Silver Cloud to see if they might have in stock any of the parts I need. This way I can give them some business, too, and start a relationship there. The local marina needs to order the parts anyway, so this should be OK.

Anyway, that's the plan as of now. Once I have cost information and have a chance to talk to the insurance company, that may change a bit. But that's the current plan.
chef2sail likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If it's of any help (marginal at best), the quality and reliability of the work you have done will be most dependent on the individual that does it, not the marina's affiliation as an official vendor.

The "authorized" vendors may have better parts inventory, but I don't even find that all that competitive in the days of the internet. Customers can source parts as fast as boat yards. I even got one part faster than the authorized dealer could last year, because he didn't have a 'relationship' with the online source. Meaning he wasn't going to be able to buy it at wholesale. He was going to have to literally wait a month for the manufacturer, while I had it dropped shipped to him overnight mail the next day.

Try to get a feeling, if not references, for who is actually going to be touching your boat.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Hey, I just ordered $4,000 worth of parts for my volvo (turbo charger and exhaust elbow). Not fun, I get it. Still can't wait to get her sailing again.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-04-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Jim it all sounds terrible but the work is really not that hard to do. and it can be done with her in the water if the shaft seal is intact. flex plates just don't last imho. I won't be surprised when the one on my same engine/trans combination goes.

My boat is for sale.

Old 04-04-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Hmm

Quote:
The cutlast bearing was great during the survey; it was super stable without any movement.
That is not normal, a cutlass brg usually has some movement. That plus evidence of shaft tube wear due to misalignment strongly suggests a failed engine mount to me. If that evidence was present at the time of the survey then the surveyor should have caught it.
Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like the engine mounts where comprimised, the eng was jumping around on the dude delivering it and it wore down the cutlass. It took that first shake down for the problem to show itself. That's what shake downs do. You take an old boat out and see what breaks.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 04-04-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I may be completely out of step with everyone on this, but if the OP bought the boat cheaply enough that, as he suggests, it is economically viable to parts the boat out, then perhaps that may actually make some sense considering that these are boats which have comparatively low market value, and which are known for mediocre sailing ability and pretty shoddy construction.

To me this sounds like potentially a major money pit, which given the boat's pedigree may make more sense to part out than restore. Obviously, never having seen the boat I could be very wrong on this, and I acknowledge for example, I don't know what shape the sails, rigging, chain plates, rudder and steering gear, structural framing, electrical and plumbing systems, galley equipment, instrumentation and so on are in. But if the boat is so badly maintained that it is being used with a bent prop shaft and bad engine mounts, I can only imagine what other hidden major problems may be lurking below the surface and which would not have come up in a survey.

While there are cases where it may make sense to restore a boat even when it does not make economic sense, respectfully in my opinion that only makes sense on a comparatively rare boat (where you could not simply buy another one in great shape for less) and which has a particularly nice design with good quality construction. Iin other words, its only worth it if this is a boat with 'good bones' that would be a great boat to own once restored. Based on my experience with the Allmand 31's, that would not be the case here.

Jeff
chrisncate and Alex W like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-04-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

you LOVE the boat.
boat is worthy
you will find a way to repair without a smuch price as is quoted. find someon ewho knows how to do this work--any GOOD derelict sailor with a lot of experience should know how to do this --especially if he was a motor bike racer or a car racer or someone who played with engines a loong time and sails also.
you may even find someone here on forum who is in area and wants to help---
dont throw baby out with bath water.
btw--i need to do same work on mine but so far, i am still able to run..with hourly and as needed monitoring.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.