Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Hey, I just ordered $4,000 worth of parts for my volvo (turbo charger and exhaust elbow). Not fun, I get it. Still can't wait to get her sailing again.
Jimgo,

At least the engine in your Allmand isn't a Volvo!!!
Replacement parts prices for Volvo diesels are through the roof.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jim,
Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear this, but as Capt. Aaron said earlier these things happen on a shakedown cruise. As I posted in your trip planning thread our delivery trip up the bay was far too interesting But it does get better.

Capt. Aaron, cut the poor guy some slack. You have more sea miles under your keel than Popeye. He's new to all this.

Jim, start with a couple of phone calls. If BoatUS is your insurance company call them and tell them what happened and that you suspect you may have hit something under water that caused the damage. Then find out what the real limits of unlimited towing are. Can they get you to Tall Oaks or get your to Winters Marina in Philadelphia (closer to home)? Or does the policy state closest marina for haul out? If it's closest marina talk it over with Chuckles and figure out where you really want to haul.

Then call Dave at Silver Cloud/Tall Oaks. Minnewaska was right, there is a huge difference in the competence of marine mechanics. Silver Cloud has an excellent reputation for quality work. They're not the cheapest around but they stand behind their work. My personal experience with them has been very positive.

Next pack up your coffee pot, a ceramic heater, a bottle of rum, a bottle of coke and a blanket. Friday night drive down and invite Chuckles on board for a few rum and cokes and laugh at your misfortune. The next morning make a pot of hot coffee and drink it in the cockpit. Watch the birds and the ducks playing in the water. You'll remember why you bought a boat in the first place and things won't seem quite as bad.

Jim
MedSailor, bljones and Capt.aaron like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-04-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post

Next pack up your coffee pot, a ceramic heater, a bottle of rum, a bottle of coke and a blanket. Friday night drive down and invite Chuckles on board for a few rum and cokes and laugh at your misfortune. The next morning make a pot of hot coffee and drink it in the cockpit. Watch the birds and the ducks playing in the water. You'll remember why you bought a boat in the first place and things won't seem quite as bad.

Jim
Too bad it took as many pages to get some sound advice.
Old 04-04-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Very sorry to hear about all of this too. If you were to be rid of the boat and relace, you still would not know what you had. At least this way, when you are done, you will know. SO I too vote to rebuild the engine. It will be a great learning piece and you will know what you have.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jim,
Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear this, but as Capt. Aaron said earlier these things happen on a shakedown cruise. As I posted in your trip planning thread our delivery trip up the bay was far too interesting But it does get better.

Capt. Aaron, cut the poor guy some slack. You have more sea miles under your keel than Popeye. He's new to all this.

Jim, start with a couple of phone calls. If BoatUS is your insurance company call them and tell them what happened and that you suspect you may have hit something under water that caused the damage. Then find out what the real limits of unlimited towing are. Can they get you to Tall Oaks or get your to Winters Marina in Philadelphia (closer to home)? Or does the policy state closest marina for haul out? If it's closest marina talk it over with Chuckles and figure out where you really want to haul.

Then call Dave at Silver Cloud/Tall Oaks. Minnewaska was right, there is a huge difference in the competence of marine mechanics. Silver Cloud has an excellent reputation for quality work. They're not the cheapest around but they stand behind their work. My personal experience with them has been very positive.

Jim
Hey Hey, I told Chef I would stow it on the "sail it home" idea like 3 pages ago. Great advice on the rum, the coffee and the cockpit. It has been exactly these moments in the quiet morning that I have had my epiphany's. Bad advice on the coke, drink it out of the bottle man, what are we teenager's?
JimMcGee, MedSailor, jimgo and 1 others like this.
Old 04-04-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Bad advice on the coke, drink it out of the bottle man, what are we teenager's?
C'mon man I want him to wake up with an epiphany not a hangover!
jimgo likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-04-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Sleep on it before you decide. Buy the book, gather your tools, and do the job. There isn't any rocket science involved, just a lot of righty-tighty and leftie-loosie.

Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Exactly why I don't mix my rum with sugar juice. Clean booze clean buzz.
Old 04-04-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Bummer of a development, but like (almost) everyone's already stated it's not a death sentence.

Look at it this way -- if this hadn't happened now, it would certainly have happened within a couple of years. You would have had to address it anyway, so it's great to know right off the bat that you've got this part of the system squared away for many, many years to come (as long as you do your diligent preventive maintenance checks and services, which will be much more likely since you've got a lot of skin in the game.)

We're all rooting for you and your new baby.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 04-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Jim
I can work with that, provided we come up with a plan to move the boat soon. I've even got the rum and coke zero.
When you mix it, you can drink more (or at least not fall down as fast).

Ya'll have to understand the 'free' slip isn't free to me - I rent, and have a land lord that has problems with me having quests that are not actually here (i.e. using her dock as a marina). So it's costing me skin off my hind end, and the ability to do future invites.
Jim, I'll be here all weekend.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.