Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat... - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 228Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Tartan 27' owner
 
CalebD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,755
Thanks: 4
Thanked 107 Times in 99 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Hey, I just ordered $4,000 worth of parts for my volvo (turbo charger and exhaust elbow). Not fun, I get it. Still can't wait to get her sailing again.
Jimgo,

At least the engine in your Allmand isn't a Volvo!!!
Replacement parts prices for Volvo diesels are through the roof.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CalebD is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Member
 
JimMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnegat Bay, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Thanks: 61
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Jim,
Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear this, but as Capt. Aaron said earlier these things happen on a shakedown cruise. As I posted in your trip planning thread our delivery trip up the bay was far too interesting But it does get better.

Capt. Aaron, cut the poor guy some slack. You have more sea miles under your keel than Popeye. He's new to all this.

Jim, start with a couple of phone calls. If BoatUS is your insurance company call them and tell them what happened and that you suspect you may have hit something under water that caused the damage. Then find out what the real limits of unlimited towing are. Can they get you to Tall Oaks or get your to Winters Marina in Philadelphia (closer to home)? Or does the policy state closest marina for haul out? If it's closest marina talk it over with Chuckles and figure out where you really want to haul.

Then call Dave at Silver Cloud/Tall Oaks. Minnewaska was right, there is a huge difference in the competence of marine mechanics. Silver Cloud has an excellent reputation for quality work. They're not the cheapest around but they stand behind their work. My personal experience with them has been very positive.

Next pack up your coffee pot, a ceramic heater, a bottle of rum, a bottle of coke and a blanket. Friday night drive down and invite Chuckles on board for a few rum and cokes and laugh at your misfortune. The next morning make a pot of hot coffee and drink it in the cockpit. Watch the birds and the ducks playing in the water. You'll remember why you bought a boat in the first place and things won't seem quite as bad.

Jim
MedSailor, bljones and Capt.aaron like this.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
JimMcGee is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #63 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Transient
Posts: 158
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post

Next pack up your coffee pot, a ceramic heater, a bottle of rum, a bottle of coke and a blanket. Friday night drive down and invite Chuckles on board for a few rum and cokes and laugh at your misfortune. The next morning make a pot of hot coffee and drink it in the cockpit. Watch the birds and the ducks playing in the water. You'll remember why you bought a boat in the first place and things won't seem quite as bad.

Jim
Too bad it took as many pages to get some sound advice.
c. breeze is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #64 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Cruisingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 9,917
Thanks: 3
Thanked 124 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Very sorry to hear about all of this too. If you were to be rid of the boat and relace, you still would not know what you had. At least this way, when you are done, you will know. SO I too vote to rebuild the engine. It will be a great learning piece and you will know what you have.

Brian

Sailnet Moderator



1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cruisingdad is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #65 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN
 
Capt.aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Jim,
Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear this, but as Capt. Aaron said earlier these things happen on a shakedown cruise. As I posted in your trip planning thread our delivery trip up the bay was far too interesting But it does get better.

Capt. Aaron, cut the poor guy some slack. You have more sea miles under your keel than Popeye. He's new to all this.

Jim, start with a couple of phone calls. If BoatUS is your insurance company call them and tell them what happened and that you suspect you may have hit something under water that caused the damage. Then find out what the real limits of unlimited towing are. Can they get you to Tall Oaks or get your to Winters Marina in Philadelphia (closer to home)? Or does the policy state closest marina for haul out? If it's closest marina talk it over with Chuckles and figure out where you really want to haul.

Then call Dave at Silver Cloud/Tall Oaks. Minnewaska was right, there is a huge difference in the competence of marine mechanics. Silver Cloud has an excellent reputation for quality work. They're not the cheapest around but they stand behind their work. My personal experience with them has been very positive.

Next pack up your coffee pot, a ceramic heater, a bottle of rum, a bottle of coke and a blanket. Friday night drive down and invite Chuckles on board for a few rum and cokes and laugh at your misfortune. The next morning make a pot of hot coffee and drink it in the cockpit. Watch the birds and the ducks playing in the water. You'll remember why you bought a boat in the first place and things won't seem quite as bad.

Jim
Hey Hey, I told Chef I would stow it on the "sail it home" idea like 3 pages ago. Great advice on the rum, the coffee and the cockpit. It has been exactly these moments in the quiet morning that I have had my epiphany's. Bad advice on the coke, drink it out of the bottle man, what are we teenager's?
JimMcGee, MedSailor, jimgo and 1 others like this.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Capt.aaron is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #66 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Member
 
JimMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnegat Bay, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Thanks: 61
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Bad advice on the coke, drink it out of the bottle man, what are we teenager's?
C'mon man I want him to wake up with an epiphany not a hangover!
jimgo likes this.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
JimMcGee is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #67 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican
 
sww914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: La Cruz de Hunacaxtle, Mexico
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Sleep on it before you decide. Buy the book, gather your tools, and do the job. There isn't any rocket science involved, just a lot of righty-tighty and leftie-loosie.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sww914 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #68 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN
 
Capt.aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Exactly why I don't mix my rum with sugar juice. Clean booze clean buzz.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Capt.aaron is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #69 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Jim,

Bummer of a development, but like (almost) everyone's already stated it's not a death sentence.

Look at it this way -- if this hadn't happened now, it would certainly have happened within a couple of years. You would have had to address it anyway, so it's great to know right off the bat that you've got this part of the system squared away for many, many years to come (as long as you do your diligent preventive maintenance checks and services, which will be much more likely since you've got a lot of skin in the game.)

We're all rooting for you and your new baby.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #70 of 455 Old 04-04-2013
Senior Member
 
chucklesR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena Md - Magothy side
Posts: 5,979
Thanks: 10
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post

Next pack up your coffee pot, a ceramic heater, a bottle of rum, a bottle of coke and a blanket. Friday night drive down and invite Chuckles on board for a few rum and cokes and laugh at your misfortune. The next morning make a pot of hot coffee and drink it in the cockpit. Watch the birds and the ducks playing in the water. You'll remember why you bought a boat in the first place and things won't seem quite as bad.

Jim
I can work with that, provided we come up with a plan to move the boat soon. I've even got the rum and coke zero.
When you mix it, you can drink more (or at least not fall down as fast).

Ya'll have to understand the 'free' slip isn't free to me - I rent, and have a land lord that has problems with me having quests that are not actually here (i.e. using her dock as a marina). So it's costing me skin off my hind end, and the ability to do future invites.
Jim, I'll be here all weekend.

Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
chucklesR is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need an engine part that apparently doesnt exist anymore Soundtrackzz Gear & Maintenance 15 07-16-2012 12:36 PM
Summer in Southwest Florida meant for boating enthusiasts - The News-Press NewsReader News Feeds 0 06-14-2012 01:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome