Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Chrisncate, that's basically the analysis I'm going through. So far, the local marina hasn't given me a written description of their findings, nor have they given me an estimate for the costs. We paid a nice price for teh boat, one where we could invest a few thousand and still have "equity" left in the boat. We had hoped not to make that investment SO soon.

Chuck, I've asked the local marina to pull the boat; haven't heard back from them. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Well, either way I hope it works out for you

Post some pics of the haul out when it happens?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Well, I have invested 10 grand in my 3 thousand dollar boat since christmas, and by the end of the month it will be at about 14 grand. You know why, because when you are 300 miles off shore, the ocean does'nt give a hoot what your boat yard bill was, it will chew you up and spit you out regardless. Am I emotionally attached to her, absolutly, I'm not however emotionally attached to the money I spent. I'm absorbed in restoring her and prepping her for another voyage. I worked my but off and spent the money with a smile. Most recently on my Capehorn self steering device. And I still don't have an engine! or any fancy electronics. I love my boat with all my heart, we've been through a lot together.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

With all due respect to Jeff H, He's dead wrong.
That is not my romantic side talking, but the pragmatic side.
the cost and time to repair known issues on a known boat is always, always, always less expensive and less time consuming than finding and buying a different unknown used boat and dealing with unknown issues.
It is also less time consuming than parting out a boat, then finding a new boat to replace the old boat. Add up all of the hidden costs- storage fees, dumpster fees, gas and meal costs while shopping for a new boat, the time it takes to sell the parts, etc.,...
... and then dealing with the new punchlist on the new boat.
If we all gave up on our boats because they were of marginal quality and inferior sailors, there would be a hell of a lot fewer sailors.
and a hell of a lot fewer grins.
and a hell of a lot fewer circumnavigations.
and a hell of a lot fewer great stories to tell.

Ferpetessake, it seems to me that the best adventures are had on inferior boats. "Spray" and "Dove" come to mind as examples of average, or worse, boats which more than did the job.
JimMcGee, TakeFive and Capt.aaron like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
with all due respect to jeff h, he's dead wrong.
That is not my romantic side talking, but the pragmatic side.
The cost and time to repair known issues on a known boat is always, always, always less expensive and less time consuming than finding and buying a different unknown used boat and dealing with unknown issues.
It is also less time consuming than parting out a boat, then finding a new boat to replace the old boat. Add up all of the hidden costs- storage fees, dumpster fees, gas and meal costs while shopping for a new boat, the time it takes to sell the parts, etc.,...
... And then dealing with the new punchlist on the new boat.
If we all gave up on our boats because they were of marginal quality and inferior sailors, there would be a @#!*% of a lot fewer sailors.
And a @#!*% of a lot fewer grins.
And a @#!*% of a lot fewer circumnavigations.
And a @#!*% of a lot fewer great stories to tell.
Ferpetessake, it seems to me that the best adventures are had on inferior boats. "spray" and "dove" come to mind as examples of average, or worse, boats which more than did the job.
amen.
Old 04-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I looked into having her towed to NJ and to the Sassafras. BoatUS considers this a "dock to dock" tow, which is only covered 50%. The move to NJ is $20-25,000. The move to the Sassafras was $3,000. A move over to Rock Hall is $1100 (all of those are pre-discount prices). Rock Hall would at least get me to a wider selection of marinas in a small area.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2013
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
I looked into having her towed to NJ and to the Sassafras. BoatUS considers this a "dock to dock" tow, which is only covered 50%. The move to NJ is $20-25,000. The move to the Sassafras was $3,000. A move over to Rock Hall is $1100 (all of those are pre-discount prices). Rock Hall would at least get me to a wider selection of marinas in a small area.
Huh, I used to be on the Magothy... have you considered Atlantic Marina to haul and work at?
Old 04-05-2013
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Well, I have invested 10 grand in my 3 thousand dollar boat since christmas, and by the end of the month it will be at about 14 grand. You know why, because when you are 300 miles off shore, the ocean does'nt give a hoot what your boat yard bill was, it will chew you up and spit you out regardless. Am I emotionally attached to her, absolutly, I'm not however emotionally attached to the money I spent. I'm absorbed in restoring her and prepping her for another voyage. I worked my but off and spent the money with a smile. Most recently on my Capehorn self steering device. And I still don't have an engine! or any fancy electronics. I love my boat with all my heart, we've been through a lot together.
The Cape Horn is impressive... call me when you install that Plath 7B though...
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 04-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have a storage unit with stuff in it that has become worth less than I've paid in storage. It's just an incredible pain to sell the stuff or even give it away. I have to drive there, show it to you, help you load it, match schedules, take pictures, advertise, deal with stupid scam replies, etc. Parting out a boat would be extremely time consuming. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but be realistic, if you consider it.

As for towing, you should definitely call around. That area is just staring to get busy, so you may find a tow company that would take a discounted big job, if you can be a little flexible. Shortly, they'll have no time.

The experience of getting a big scare from a marina, then nothing to back it up should concern you. I'm a huge critic of boat yards and could write a book on maladies over the years. There are fish in the sea of boaters that will just open the checkbook and authorize them to do whatever they think necessary. Boat yards are always trolling for that big fish. Don't bite.
c. breeze likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
The Cape Horn is impressive... call me when you install that Plath 7B though...
Is a Plath 7 b one of those winches made out of solid gold and runs on the blood of flightless dragons? I'll never be able to afford one of those. I am, How ever, in the Market for a single action windless that accepts 5/8 chain. If any body see's one at a flea market, pick one up for me would ya, I'm good for it.
The Capehorn, yes, the most impressive thing I've ever bought, well second to my wifes ring...no wait, I sold my boat once and bought it back, so after my wifes ring and the boat, the Capehorn self sterring device is the third most impressive thing I've bought......and my 1978 jeep J10m, midnight blue
(in a full moon) pick up truck with the original AM-CB radio and Levis seat covers. those, in order are the things I've most impressed my self with.
That Capehorn better thread my boat through a needle in either 30 knots or 3 of wind, up and or down it. I'm impressed with Yves, ( he actully answered the phone when I called to order) his voyage and his company service. The unit arrives the day I get off the tug next week. I have 2 weeks to install and shake down the boat and then back to sea. Worth every penny thus far.
Old 04-05-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Chrisncate, that's basically the analysis I'm going through. So far, the local marina hasn't given me a written description of their findings, nor have they given me an estimate for the costs. We paid a nice price for teh boat, one where we could invest a few thousand and still have "equity" left in the boat. We had hoped not to make that investment SO soon.

Chuck, I've asked the local marina to pull the boat; haven't heard back from them. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Thanks Jim.
Keep in mind if you come to work on it for over nighters you have a place to stay.
Do the 443#, I'll be moving about all day.