SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98109-apparently-im-not-meant-have-boat.html)

jimgo 04-03-2013 12:24 PM

Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I'm crushed. The 1980 Allmand 31 we just purchased may be about to be parted out. The damping plate exploded in the engine when the boat was moved from VA to the Northern Chesepeake. The marina was just out to look at it, and they say that the motor mounts were shot, most of the hoses in the engine should have been replaced, the prop shaft was misaligned and cutting through the hull, and the transmission is likely shot. The cost to repair everything will likely exceed the value of the boat.

I had the boat surveyed by someone who was recommended by two different marinas in that area. I can't believe he missed some of these issues.

chuck53 04-03-2013 12:50 PM

Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I'd go back to your surveyor with a written report from your marina. I had an issue with a boat I had bought and the surveyor missed problems. He gave me back his fee plus $500. Didn't begin to cover my repair bill, but better than nothing.

Alex W 04-03-2013 12:53 PM

I'm sorry Jim, that's terrible.

Do you have an idea of how long it would take you to do those repairs yourself? Replacing hoses and motor mounts might be things that you can do yourself, while replacing the damping plate is more likely to be something that should be done by a mechanic.

Was the boat hauled during the survey? That level of prop shaft mis-alignment is probably easier to see out of the water than in.

Capt.aaron 04-03-2013 12:54 PM

Don't give up. The engine isn't the boat, it's a removeable peice of gear. I just spent $3500 on a piece of equipment for my $3000 boat. There is nothing on a glass boat hull that can't reglassed and beefed up.

ABH3 Boyer 04-03-2013 12:55 PM

you could always rip out the old inboard motor and patch the holes. Then install a good outboard motor.

TQA 04-03-2013 12:57 PM

OK life is not good just now but before you start up the chain saw lets inventory what you NEED to get things working again.

You need a damper plate, yup they break, you don't say what the engine and gearbox are but lets say its a Yanmar 2gm plate is about $160.

Most often you need to take the engine and gearbox out to work on it. It can be done afloat with a block and tackle off the boom but spread the load.

It has made it through 30 + years so it should be possible to put it back the way it was and get a few more. So think hard before making major and expensive changes.

REMEMBER IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

If the engine mounts have seperated they DO need to be replaced. A failed mount may also have caused the misalignment.

4 mounts are going to be around $600.

So parts less than $1k sweat and knuckle blood come free if you do the job. Capn Fatty managed it so can you.

PCP 04-03-2013 01:00 PM

Yes an outboard engine seems to be the best solution in what regards the use of the boat and boat value. After all it is a sailing boat isn't it?;)

rockDAWG 04-03-2013 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear that Jim.

Don't panic and just walk away for a few day to recompose. Get a couple second opinions and asses the damages. I am sure there are lot that your can DIY with some help. You are not that far from me so I can help too, just let me know.

Good luck. :)

ccriders 04-03-2013 01:16 PM

I have to disagree with the outboard option. It may not be the least expensive and certainly is not the best operational option. Remember, you have the motor mount, the control lines and the fuel lines and tank. If you settle for hand cranked, then you are going to be hanging over the stern trying to get a %%^^&* outboard started. But most importantly the time you will most depend on the engine is in foul weather and an outboard mounted on the stern of a sailboat is not a good situation as the propeller comes out of the water when bouncing over chop. And then the engine dies, and how do you restart it? By hanging over the stern in heavy chop. Do you single hand? If so this is a non-starter.
Take the above advice and determine what it takes to fix the inboard and make it dependable for the next ten years.
And don't assume you are not meant to sail. That's crazy talk. Go read Smackdaddy's ode to sailing on his BFS site and steele your nerves for the engine overhaul.

chuck53 04-03-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCP (Post 1011665)
Yes an outboard engine seems to be the best solution in what regards the use of the boat and boat value. After all it is a sailing boat isn't it?;)

outboard on a 31' sailboat....not a good idea.