Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

If you have at least one other person with you, my route would be:

Annapolis to Norfolk - overnight
Norfolk - Elizabeth City (ICW and free dock)
Elizabeth City to South End of Alligator River (anchor)
Alligator R to Oriental - Free dock if available, if not stay at the hotel dock for showers and Tiki Bar (long day)
Oriental to Morehead City Yacht Basin - top off fuel, courtesy car if you need supplies
Morehead City, outside (weather permitting) to north end of Hilton Head Island (marina available or anchor), two nights
From there, you can hit St Augustine on an overnight, or two nights to Fort Pierce.

I've done these, so I know they're doable. It was mostly motoring though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
If you're gonna be going outside, I'd recommend picking up Steve Dodge's guide to inlets along the SE coast, invaluable for someone doing the trip for the first time:
Jon and I must have been typing at the same time.

I strongly endorse his recommendation of Dodge's Inlet Guide. I have a copy on Auspicious and another in my delivery go-bag.

Heading to Florida from the Chesapeake I usually plan to head offshore from Norfolk/Little Creek and go straight through to my destination. Weather may dictate otherwise but that is my base plan.

Regardless, once offshore whether from Norfolk or Beaufort I stay offshore unless weather or the boat dictate otherwise. Interpret all my guidance in that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
In that section, if you carefully plan your stops (using Skipper Bob's ICW guide, etc.) you can usually make 60-70+ statute miles per day at that time of year.
There are lots of good guides. A lot depends on you and how you interpret the layout. Doyles, Kettlewell, Waterway Guides, Skipper Bobs all have different formats for fundamentally the same information. I have Kettlewell and Skipper Bob's aboard and usually use Kettlewell although I've been leaning toward the Doyle's guide to give it a try - I like their format.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-04-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

The answer might be, it will have to be decided when you get there. Even in the time frame you plan, weather will dictate inside or outside. If the weather isn't conducive to an outside run, do you sit and wait until it is or continue south on the inside. We have lost count on how many trips we have done on the ICW from NJ to Key West. There were years when we couldn't get a break and had to do every mile on the inside. There were years when we cruised long stretches on the outside. So you will need to plan for both or one or the other. That's the nature of the trip. Weather, break downs, bridges closed for repairs, will all affect your time in transit. It's a great trip. Too bad you need to do it in such a hurry. Running from sun up to sun down will get tiring very fast. Chuck

Old 04-04-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I haven't done the number of trips south that many here have. But, chucks post above is pretty indicative of how my last trip down to Fla. Went.

Annapolis to Portsmith overnight. The weather outside was frightful..( just a play on xmas song) So we stayed inside and made very good time heading south in the ICW. I think our 1st anchorage was behind Kitty Hawk after pushing a long day. The next day was Ocracoke after a pre-dawn start. We kept checking weather and ocean conditions and didn't get outside until we reached the Cape Fear River. Then 36 hours straight to Jacksonville. We had following seas..and fresh north winds the whole ocean trip ( it was fall)
I don't know if I would have wanted to beat into a SW wind with 8 ft seas.. having it all behind us, was pretty managable though. I had a little jib out and didn't touch it for 24 hours.

So weather and conditions really dictated our route and decision making, and we had plan A, B, and C.. ready to deploy.

So, I think my suggestion would be to be flexible..and keep all your options open, re-evaluate your plan every day..based on the conditions, the crew and the vessel.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by Tempest; 04-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road

All - some great advice.

Jon, your awesome article was one of the ones I found in my search of info recently, it was very helpful.

Also I had read travlineasy thread on his experience on the ICW (which gave me some pause due to the risks eg. Powerboaters wake, running aground, etc)

I must took my distance figures from the coast pilot charts wrong, I believe its in nautical mileage. But total distance is about the same

SVAuspicious is correct we were going to bring some additional fuel cans, to extend the stops. However I had calculated GPH at 1.5 based on the engine HP rating. So that would give me 24 hours running under motor. Not 54-60, I am hoping his number is correct, that would be a major improvement.

I had already decided that I would take the ICW at least to Beaufort for the reasons listed, even with a some pre-sailing experience I would rather play it safe around Hatteras. And nice to hear, that this is a sound option.

Post that assuming all is good, ill look to take outside route at Beaufort down, and will have a look at some of the guides etc.

And, yes true, any plan needs to adjust according to the conditions on the day, I have been caught times before in very changeable conditions in NZ.

Keep in mind, the trip won't be for a few months and in the interim Ill be taking the boat out as much as possible so should be familiar with her after a few solid months of sailing, plus will give me the time to work out any kinks on the boat.

All thanks for the great input, really helps.