SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Zebra Mussels - Lakes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98136-zebra-mussels-lakes.html)

Jurgy 04-04-2013 02:24 PM

Zebra Mussels - Lakes

Zebra mussels made it into the lake last year. Other than keeping the bottom paint fresh, is there anything we should do proactively to protect the Yanmar or head?

Thanks in Advance
Jurgy
S/V Lazy D II

Oaksail 04-04-2013 03:01 PM

Re: Zebra Mussels - Lakes

We've had zebra mussels in Lake Ontario for something like 20 years. In the 2 years we have had our first boat i have seen no effect to the boat other than a little cluster stuck to the bottom of the wing keel. i haven't seen any sign of them at the thru hulls or engine intake.
They do make the water nice and clear though.

Siamese 04-04-2013 03:07 PM

We've had the little buggers for decades here on Lake Michigan. I've had them take up residence in the intake on my Catalina 309, but never approaching the point where they might impede the flow of water to the heat exchanger. When I see that they're present, I just clear them out. Swabbing a little bottom paint in there couldn't hurt, but they have not really been a problem.

Jurgy 04-04-2013 03:23 PM

Thanks Folks -

Its been a concern. Good to know it won't be a huge issue. And the clear water will be a bonus!

Jurgy
S/V Lazy D II

travlineasy 04-04-2013 04:03 PM

Take one look at the waters of Chesapeake Bay and it will make you wish the zebra mussels would hurry up and get here. Fifty years ago I was scuba diving for oysters during October near the Bay Bridges at Kent Island. The underwater visibility was nearly 20 feet. Today, in the dead of winter, when the water is clearest, 6-inch visibility is considered good to excellent.

C'mon zebra mussels,

Gary :cool:

Oaksail 04-04-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 1012197)
Take one look at the waters of Chesapeake Bay and it will make you wish the zebra mussels would hurry up and get here. Fifty years ago I was scuba diving for oysters during October near the Bay Bridges at Kent Island. The underwater visibility was nearly 20 feet. Today, in the dead of winter, when the water is clearest, 6-inch visibility is considered good to excellent.

C'mon zebra mussels,

Gary :cool:

20 years ago Lake Ontario was viewed by many to be grossly polluted, they wouldn't go any where near it. Now when we have non boat friends out on the boat they are amazed how beautiful the water is.

Greenflash35 04-04-2013 04:57 PM

Once as a lad an old salt told me it only takes three days until barnacles start. Since then i've cleaned the hull once a week. It's quick and easy if you get there before the zebra mussels start to mature. Just put a sock over your hand and poke a finger into the through hull.

Minnewaska 04-04-2013 07:52 PM

Before you beg for having zebra muscles, try walking on them.

mrslubrdink 04-04-2013 08:15 PM

They arrived at our lake 3 years ago. We had 5 on the rudder when we pulled the boat this year. We haven't had problems with them getting into the engine intake.

benesailor 04-04-2013 08:51 PM

I've been on Lake Ontario for 3 years now and haven't seen one on the boat yet. I still have my hi-power florida ablative. I think that may have an affect.
They definitely are not fun to walk on. You should see what the canal looks like when they drain it for winter. They cover everything! If a tree branch dips in the water; they cover every square inch.