Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA)

I want to take a moment and put a plug in for SSCA.

I am a new member, though I have browsed through it on-off for years. It is a bit different than many organizations and has a nice heritage. It is focused on cruising - whether sail or motor. THey put together a lot of seminars and meets and greets. It is not unusual to be anchored in a bay, someone see your SSCA flag, and come approach you and introduce themselves.

THeir forum needs some work which I have discused with Dave (our own SV Auspicious who is the president). But overall, it is a great organization and I would point others who are serious about cruising, or one day cruising, to consider becoming a member.

The membership runs $55 or so. I tried to get them to give me mine for free since I was the best looking and smartest moderator on Sailnet, at which point they charged me even more money!! Just kidding, of course.

What are others' experiences and thoughts about SSCA? I am sure Dave and other members would love to hear them too.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA)

We have been members for a couple years now. We have not pushed off just yet but the info we have found on their website is usually helpful. The Seminars are the best. Have not attended a GAM yet as the ones in Maine are usually more than a weekend sail away.

There is certainly some polarized opinions about this organization. Lots of discussion over on cruisers forum about it.

We feel SSCA fits us well as we definitely do not fit in with the Bob Bitchen crowd.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-04-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Yup,
Very good group. Been a member for a couple of years now.
Old 04-04-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

They're a non-profit, which is good. But I'd like to see their budget published, or even better, their their tax returns before I kick them funds to join up. I want to know if there is some kind of executive with an outside compensation package that gobbles up much of their dues.

Hate to be so cynical, but I've been burned so many times in the past 10 years by people "acting in my interest" that I cast a wary eye on everyone.
ftldiver likes this.
Old 04-04-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I joined SSCA when I bought my 22 footer 6+ years ago. I certainly wasn't doing any cruising on it, but membership gave me insight into what types of boats were out there and working (or not), a peek into whether cruising was something that I'd want to do, and I appreciated the absence of non-related noise in its forum.

Since then I've become an SSCA volunteer, moved up to a boat that I'm still not going to cruise on, and met face to face some wonderful people who are out there cruising.

When I first joined the value was the monthly bulletin written by members and sent to members. Each article was about a different location in which someone was cruising and it included the type of boat they were on. Now you can get that information on any number of blogs. The value to me now is the face to face interaction with those same people, the gams that provide the chance to meet or hear in person icons such as the Pardys or Nigel Calder and the opportunity to give back in a small way to the sailing community.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are members also and have been for a few years and fly their burgee.

Probably wont surprise you that a number of us here in the Chesapeake have been brought into the organization by Dave as well as Jaye ( wingnwing)

They have a great Gam here every year which is well attended although it always seems to be a weekend we cant get there.\

Welcome aboard

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-04-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We have belonged for several years and it is great for people either dreaming about extended cruising or actually doing it. The Bulletins have info that would be hard to find elsewhere. We went to one of the Annapolis Gams and it was very worthwhile. They also have online courses but have not done one so can't comment. Overall, very much recommended.
Old 04-04-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I've got nothing, but good to say for the SSCA. Most the members I've met have been a joy to know. During my 42 years and many thousands of miles of liveaboard/cruising I'm always meeting knowledgeable and friendly cruisers and I'm never short of opportunity to learn more. I'm just not accustomed to paying for what comes free.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 04-04-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Scca= crispy cruisers ;-)
Old 04-04-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I have been a member of SSCA since at least 1992. That's as far back as we have been able to document. Three years ago a friend of mine was approached by the nominating committee to run for the Board of Directors. The only way he could get out of it was to talk me into running in his place. I was elected to the Board and due to an inopportune visit to the restroom was elected Treasurer as well. *grin*. Last year I applied for Commodore (a status that requires a demonstrated commitment to cruising and some seamanship experience) specifically to make room for another Associate on the Board. For my trouble my colleagues made me President.

Regular members are Associates. The two member classes have their roots in our beginnings but the short version is that having lots of Commodores was a way to thumb noses at the social yacht clubs in San Diego where we were founded.

I participated in the discussion on CF and look forward to participating here. I'm happy to respond to any questions. If I don't have an answer to a particular question I'll get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
They're a non-profit, which is good. But I'd like to see their budget published, or even better, their their tax returns before I kick them funds to join up. I want to know if there is some kind of executive with an outside compensation package that gobbles up much of their dues.
SSCA is a 501c7. We have a 501c3 Foundation as well but that's just getting off the ground.

Our budget is available to members online and is discussed in person at our Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in concert with the Melbourne Gam. We don't generally publish our tax returns although we would certainly send them to any member that asked.

We have a small paid staff - an Association Director who is responsible for day to day operations, a part-time bookkeeper who also does fulfillment and logistics, and an editor who takes care of getting the Bulletin out, our bimonthly Coconut Telegraph, content support for our website, and support for Seven Seas U.

The Board and other critical functions including our Government Affairs group and Cruising Station operation are all performed by volunteers.

If sending you a copy of our budget is all it takes to bring you on board nightOwl get me your e-mail address and I'll get you a copy.

Comments and questions are welcome. I'm always happy to hear from contented members. Comments from those who choose not to join, or have been members and left are very useful as well. Some patterns from other venues that the discussion on CF reinforced have led to some serious discussion among our Board and staff.

I'm not big on extended PM discussions so send me an e-mail address if you want to engage off SN. Otherwise I'm happy to address any SSCA topic here.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
SSCA President
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 04-04-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.