Share/Partner With Your Boat - Western Long Island Sound or Jersey Shore - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

nysailor is on a distinguished road
[Edited] Share/Partner With Your Boat - Western Long Island Sound or Jersey Shore

Anyone interested in working out a share arrangement or taking on a partner for their cruising boat? Iím open as to the type of arrangement -- formal or informal, for this season or longer-term, 50% or less or just occasional use in exchange for assistance with slip fees and upkeep, even a temporary arrangement for a boat thatís on the market until it is sold. Could be a good alternative for someone who is otherwise planning to sell their boat due to limited time to use it or due to costs.

My wife and I have many years of cruising experience and are ASA-certified. We are responsible and very focused on the care and maintenance of the boats we sail on. Weíve done similar shares with two others who were quite happy with the arrangement and will certainly vouch for the care we gave their boats (one was on the Hudson River and one out of a Long Island Sound yacht club).

Interested in Western Long Island Sound or the Jersey Shore (as far south as Barnegat Bay). Email me at 718sailor at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Edited for some additional thoughts, based on the first couple of responses: Once I got out the facts in my post of last night, I figured I should add a little more color to my thinking on what it means to share a boat and to make it work. Having had two similar arrangements in the past, both of which worked out quite well, Iíve seen that sharing a boat is like a marriage, and itís only going to work if there is good agreement on issues such as maintenance, upkeep and use of the boat, and if you are able to gain confidence in my judgment and my abilities as a sailor. If there is a match on those points, then Iíve seen that a share can be a great way to soften the financial impact of owning a boat, while possibly offering some additional benefits, like getting an underutilized boat out on the water more often and, if desired, additional crew if youíre a racer or an occasional cruising partner.

I set a high bar for maintenance and upkeep, and Iím an experienced sailor and have a strong focus on safety of boat and crew, so I think I will satisfy most people on that score. Beyond that, thereís no way to know if it will work without a conversation. So if any interest, send me an email to the address above and weíll set up a time to talk. Based on that, weíll be able to figure out pretty quickly if there is enough of a fit to keep the conversation going.

Last edited by nysailor; 04-06-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts based on first replies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
partner , partnership , share