SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Greek cruise (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98199-greek-cruise.html)

Spookee 04-06-2013 06:04 PM

Greek cruise

We are buying a yacht in Levkas, Greece and plan to cruise both the Ionion and the Aegean. We intend keeping her on the hard during the winter and use her every other month from May to October (flying from the UK for each cruise). We shouldn't have problem in finding hard standing near the final months destination (October). The problem we see is that there are not that many marinas in these waters, so that at the end of each months cruise we need to find a suitably safe swinging mooring or harbour berth. However, I understand that a harbour berth is perhaps not the best idea during the busy summer months.
We'd appreciate comments and guidance from others who have been in a similar predicument. Also, we are unsure of the most economical method of getting to the variety of destination where our boat will be moored at the end of each cruise. It it generally 'Athens and then the bus'? Thanks.

PCP 04-06-2013 07:20 PM

Re: Greek cruise

Hi,

I am finishing a 4 months cruising plan for Greece and I have made a lot of research. Not sure I can be of help since I am looking to stay out of marinas and not in, but then I will be sailing the boat all time.

With adequate planning I don't think you will have a problem. It will imply a careful planing regarding the points you are leaving the boat and careful planing to be at those spots in time to leave it. Then you will have to catch a boat to Athens to catch an airplane back home.

The problem with Greece is that the information is nor readily available and with all those Islands it is difficult to integrate all the information from a pilot Book in a coherent voyage plan. From my own experience, doing that will take a lot of time.

ScottUK 04-07-2013 02:10 AM

I think you should start with the places you can fly in and work from there. Since you would like to cruise both the Aegen and Ionian Seas I would say Aegina would be a good spot. Easy access to Athens and placed between both the Aegen and Ionian islands though you would have to go the canal for the Ionian islands.

Ithaca has a well protected harbour and I recall seeing a few boats on the hard. At the other end Rhodes and Kos have a marinas.

If going through the canal Itea has a fairly new marina and you can catch a bus to Delphi

Hope that helps.

Spookee 04-08-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCP (Post 1013074)
Hi,

I am finishing a 4 months cruising plan for Greece and I have made a lot of research. Not sure I can be of help since I am looking to stay out of marinas and not in, but then I will be sailing the boat all time.

With adequate planning I don't think you will have a problem. It will imply a careful planing regarding the points you are leaving the boat and careful planing to be at those spots in time to leave it. Then you will have to catch a boat to Athens to catch an airplane back home.

The problem with Greece is that the information is nor readily available and with all those Islands it is difficult to integrate all the information from a pilot Book in a coherent voyage plan. From my own experience, doing that will take a lot of time.

Firstly, I'm not sure if I'm replying in the correct 'box'. I'm a new user (if that's a good enough excuse).
Well PCP, many thanks for your helpful response. I am slowing coming to the conclusion, that the first cruises I make can only be planned in shortish hops. Thanks again.

Spookee 04-08-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottUK (Post 1013184)
I think you should start with the places you can fly in and work from there. Since you would like to cruise both the Aegen and Ionian Seas I would say Aegina would be a good spot. Easy access to Athens and placed between both the Aegen and Ionian islands though you would have to go the canal for the Ionian islands.

Ithaca has a well protected harbour and I recall seeing a few boats on the hard. At the other end Rhodes and Kos have a marinas.

If going through the canal Itea has a fairly new marina and you can catch a bus to Delphi

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I've got the feeling that we'll have to have a couple of trips out there to get to know the ropes. My experience is that once in a new place the 'old timers' will be more than happy to give us the benefit of their experience regarding the best way of getting to where the boats berthed and which anchorages/harbours/marinas to aim for . Thanks again.

Faster 04-08-2013 02:47 PM

I would think that during your first trip or two you will start making contact with locals and get better information at that point, esp if there are not good cruising guides.

Here's a Wiki link you may have already seen..

Greece - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Sailing Greece - free yachting and charter holiday guide to sail the Greek islands - yacht charters Greece

PCP 04-08-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookee (Post 1013722)
Thanks for your reply. I've got the feeling that we'll have to have a couple of trips out there to get to know the ropes. My experience is that once in a new place the 'old timers' will be more than happy to give us the benefit of their experience regarding the best way of getting to where the boats berthed and which anchorages/harbours/marinas to aim for . Thanks again.

Last Year I have cruised in the region where you have the boat now. If you are going to sail the boat intermittently during the season that region will be more than enough for a year (in my opinion). You have plenty British living and cruising there, specially in Gouvia Marina and in Cleopatra marina (a favorite).

On the area you have

Gouvia Marina | Corfu | A full guide to Gouvia Marina

Cleopatra Marina | Aktio - Preveza

and the one were you are, Lefkas marina.

The marina of Lefkas and Gouvia belongs to the KG group that has more marinas in Greece:

K&G Med. Marinas Management: Marinas in Greece - Moorings - Online Reservations - Greek Marinas - Harbours, Harbors - Creete, Zea Piraeus Athens, Kalamata, Lefkas, Corfu - Marinas Management

That is a great cruising area and Cleopatra Marina and the ones near by have great prices for having the boat on the hard.

http://www.sailingissues.com/yachtin...ineraries.html

Regards

Paulo