Boat recommendations for a Newbe - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 04-07-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,568
Thanks: 89
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

The small boat idea is a good one to learn how to sail. Even a Sunfish will do for starters. I learned on a Lightning which would IMO be a good choice: trailerable, a real sailboat with a headsail, not overly expensive. On the other hand, if you wanted to go right to a keelboat, an A30 or a Triton might be boats to think about. They would carry you south with no problem, eliminating the need to switch later.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 04-07-2013
Just another Moderator
 
Faster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 16,567
Thanks: 110
Thanked 320 Times in 305 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

An Aileron 28 would fit the bill.... at $50-70K

As would a Catalina 27 at $5-7K

See the problem? How much would you like to spend? How 'old' are you willing to go? How much space do you need? Daysailing or weekending to start? etc..etc...

More data!!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Faster is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 20 Old 04-07-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, Albany area
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Hi, I'm in the same area. Where you going to keep your boat? What marina in Great Sacandaga lake? What marina charges for storage and mooring? I think it's very important to know before you buy the boat.
Passat is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 20 Old 04-07-2013
Member
 
Boomberries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Personally, I find it interesting and a bit puzzling that people want to buy a sailboat to "learn" to sail on. Have you sailed on other boats at all? Have you taken a course?
I concur with what HardTAC says ... think about trying to get out on other people's boats, sailing on different designs, and determining what you do and don't want is helpful. Racing with others on thieir boats, is very helpful in accomplishing this .

Untill you have sailed a bit, you won`t really know enough to determine what you want and need in your own sail boat. Be prepared that it will most likely depreciate in value rather quickly after you buy it, so if you find that sailing is not what you enjoy or expect, that you need to be prepared to resell your boat at a loss.
Or adversely if you find you really enjoy it, you will likely likely be upgrading within seven years.

With very little info re: prize range ... a C & C 27, or a Catalina 27 are pretty forgiving, in a reasonable price range, are good basics boats for day and weekend sailing, and would likely meet most of your needs.

If you can`t sail with others on varioius designs - shop around, come up with three boats that you think meet your needs and price range, then come back here. It will be easier to narrow down the pros and cons of the designs.

Good luck in your search
scratchee likes this.
Boomberries is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 20 Old 04-07-2013
Senior Member
 
RocketScience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Home Port Seattle
Posts: 173
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomberries View Post
Personally, I find it interesting and a bit puzzling that people want to buy a sailboat to "learn" to sail on...
x2


John, Here's my five-step process to getting into (or bailing out if it ain't your thing) of sailing:

1) Befriend a competent person with a sailboat and have him teach you. If that isn't possible, join a sailing social group. These groups match-up people who own boats with people who either wanna crew, learn to sail, or just enjoy sailing in general. If any of these don't work, enlist in a ASA certified sailing school.

2) Next (if you still think sailing is your thang), go buy a sailing dinghy. Sailing a dinghy will REALLY hone your skills, and teach you a lot about the physics of sailing.

3) Next (if you still think sailing is your thang), Join a Sailing Club. Sailing clubs allow you to rent boats by the hour, by the day, or by the weekend. Here you can start out small (foot wise), and work your way up to the size of boat you think you may eventually wanna own. If cruising is your end game, this is where I see most newbies discover that they would have quickly outgrown that 20-something footer had they bought one.

4) Next, If you've come this far, I'll assume sailing is your thang, and the somewhat controversial portion of my advice: If you truly love sailing, and, cruising is indeed your end game, and you have the resources to do so, go buy the boat that will fit those needs, and carefully grow into it. You won't be sorry you did.

5) Go enjoy life on the water.

Rob
Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Last edited by RocketScience; 04-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.
RocketScience is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 20 Old 04-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
x2

John, Here's my five-step process to getting into (or bailing out if it ain't your thing) of sailing:

1) Befriend a competent person with a sailboat and have him teach you. If that isn't possible, join a sailing social group. These groups match-up people who own boats with people who either wanna crew, learn to sail, or just enjoy sailing in general. If any of these don't work, enlist in a ASA certified sailing school.

2) Next (if you still think sailing is your thang), go buy a sailing dinghy. Sailing a dinghy will REALLY hone your skills, and teach you a lot about the physics of sailing.

3) Next (if you still think sailing is your thang), Join a Sailing Club. Sailing clubs allow you to rent boats by the hour, by the day, or by the weekend. Here you can start out small (foot wise), and work your way up to the size of boat you think you may eventually wanna own. If cruising is your end game, this is where I see most newbies discover that they would have quickly outgrown that 20-something footer had they bought one.

4) Next, If you've come this far, I'll assume sailing is your thang, and the somewhat controversial portion of my advice: If you truly love sailing, and, cruising is indeed your end game, and you have the resources to do so, go buy the boat that will fit those needs, and carefully grow into it. You won't be sorry you did.

5) Go enjoy life on the water.
I'm somewhere around steps 2-3. I've been crewing on OPB (other people's boats) for a few years and really enjoy it. But only going out on race days is very limiting. Joining a sailing club sounds like a good idea, but seems expensive - at least where I am, or maybe I'm not looking right. Are you talking SailTime or similar? Or joining a "yacht club" that has boats available to members? Or something else?

I'm also seriously considering buying a beater dinghy (like a Snark) for <$500 to just get out on the water and get blown around. Moving up to ~$2000 the options open up, from nicer dinghies to ~22' trailer sailers to in-water boats. To me, it seems at that point you need to examine your monthly outlay: slip fee & other ongoing costs for an in-water boat vs. time, size limitations, and other hassles of a trailerable boat.

- Jasen.
jasenj1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 20 Old 04-08-2013
Senior Member
 
NewportNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 529
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

I bought a 30 ft boat, learned on it, and loved it! Now I got LUCKY. Original owner is a friend of the family, showed me a lot and crewed for me when I was sailing in rougher weather. He bought a great boat and now passed that on to me because he bought a bigger boat.

My advice, go down to the local yacht clubs and harbor and talk to people about boats. After doing lots of research there are only a few other boats I would even consider buying because of the tiller, performance, size and amenities.

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NewportNewbie is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 20 Old 04-09-2013
Senior Member
 
RocketScience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Home Port Seattle
Posts: 173
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post
...Joining a sailing club sounds like a good idea, but seems expensive - at least where I am, or maybe I'm not looking right. Are you talking SailTime or similar? Or joining a "yacht club" that has boats available to members? Or something else?...
Yes, SailTime is one, however many of ASA's schools are also tied to a sailing club that offer rental boats with a membership. I don't know where you live, but here's a link to the NY Sailing Center Club as an example.

Clubs may seem expensive, but after you factor in all the expenses you described (and there are many more you haven't), sailing clubs are a bargain, and they go a LONG WAY in helping eliminate a poor choice in buying that first boat for the newbie.

Rob
Wauquiez Pretorien 35
RocketScience is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 20 Old 04-09-2013 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Thanks for all of the Good advice. I would like to stay under 10K for my first boat. I have been looking at a few Catalinas and Bristols around the NY - New England area. It looks like it gets real expensive to have these boats transported.

Anyone recommend a Sailing Club in the NY area?
Adirondackman is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 20 Old 04-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,568
Thanks: 89
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Boat recommendations for a Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackman View Post
Thanks for all of the Good advice. I would like to stay under 10K for my first boat. I have been looking at a few Catalinas and Bristols around the NY - New England area. It looks like it gets real expensive to have these boats transported.

Anyone recommend a Sailing Club in the NY area?
I got prices to haul my A35 80 miles from Lake Champlain so I could work on it at home but the cost was absolutely ridiculous...$2000 each way.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbe with no experience buys big boat davidpm General Discussion (sailing related) 343 12-31-2014 02:56 PM
Newbe SKlem Introduce Yourself 4 09-22-2011 12:43 AM
Newbe casual11 Introduce Yourself 2 09-12-2011 08:28 PM
Newbe dluckie01 Introduce Yourself 1 03-29-2010 07:06 PM
newbe windhover Introduce Yourself 2 12-28-2009 09:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome