Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
First time out today.

Got out on my boat for the first time today. It was hilarious, ridiculous, and awesome all at the same time. Got there about lunch time, took my time, made sure everything was set up and good to go, then motored out of the marina and up the channel. About halfway to the no wake markers I realized sailing is a lot like golf, in that the first pretty day of the year EVERYBODY is out on the course. I wasn't sure why, but there were 20 plus boats out in the area where our channel enters the lake proper. I realized later that the markers for the local races were above and below said spot and a lot of boats were going up and down, looked like possibly a few race crews practicing too. So my first mission was to get the hell away from there where I could trial and error my way around.

So I'm over by myself (mostly), according to WindFinder it's blowing about 13-15, got the main up, the outboard off, and I was sailing. Technically. Got so pumped I thought I'd be Billy Badass and use the jib too.

Oops.

Between not getting either sail trimmed at the same time, getting rounded up into the wind, and basically just getting blown wherever Mother Nature wanted to take me, it was fairly ridiculous. Bout all I could do was laugh and hope I could get the damn jib down before I got blown anywhere serious. (Note to self: rig up one of those deals in that thread about lashing the jib to the lifelines) I'm quite sure I provided plenty of entertainment for a rather large group of people for a bit.

After that, just had the main up, and it was glorious. Caught some nice wind, and according to my Navionics app hit 4-4.5 knots for a bit. Then got to moving around some islands and the wind got a little weird, but that's ok. A little lighter air was good at the time. I got to looking and thinking, "Man, if I had a traveler I could do this to the sail and- wait, hey dumbass, you might wanna be able to use both sails before you start perfecting trim." So I wandered around for a couple hours and headed in. About the time I hit the channel back to the marina, the previous owner called. He was out behind me in his new boat and said he just saw me and was glad to see me out there and was just saying hi. I thought that was cool.

So I got the main down, the outboard cranked, and putted back up to the marina. Started mentally going over my docking moves, which was probably the thing I was dreading most all day. But it went off virtually without a hitch. Was going so slow I stalled and had to kick it back in gear a few feet out, and was a little close and rubbed the edge of the slip coming in just a tad, but stepped right off and got the dock lines hooked right up.

From the cockpit:

Part of the crowd:

bljones, justflie and TheWollard like this.
Old 04-06-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: First time out today.

You made it out, flew some canvas, made it back in again and didn't sink, hit anything expensive or hurt anyone. That's a good sail in my book
Oh and congratulations!
utchuckd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PaulinVictoria; 04-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Good to hear.

I looked at the marina webcam where I plan on keeping my boat and saw a few people working on getting their boats ready.

I attempted some epoxy work installing a thru-hull and seacock. So I'll check on that some time to see how I did.

I'm looking forward to getting out on the water myself. With all those boats on the water, I would have tried to avoid them too.

Nice job!

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 04-06-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

It was truly a beautiful day today. Glad you got out and were able to enjoy it!
Old 04-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Got out, got under sail, didn't break anything, didn't hit anything, got back.
the rest is just technique and details.
congrats, utchuckd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Sounds a bit like our first sail on Friday on our new (to us...) S2 7.9. We weren't out nearly as long as we didn't get out to the boat until around five, and by the time we got the mainsail installed, the genoa hanked on, motored out from the sailing club where she is slipped, and were out in the lake it was getting late. That and we made the mistake of taking our dog who just sat below and screamed and whined (won't be taking him again for a while...) meant we only had probably 30-40 minutes on the water.. Hope to go out again tomorrow a bit earlier if the rain and thunderstorms forecasted wait until evening to show themselves..
Old 04-06-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Congrats!

I have been out in nearly 3 months but plan on getting out there tomorrow!

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 04-06-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
First Trip

Awesome. Great pictures sounds like you had a blast. I am heading out on mine in the morning for the first time. After daysailing the docks and currents worry me the most. I should be good there are a bunch of seasoned sailors there and they all like to talk.
Old 04-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

In most situations, if a sailboat is flying a spinnaker they are either in a race, practicing for a race or just trying to go all out, balls to the wall.
Watch out for sailboats flying a spinnaker as they can't usually douse it quickly and they definitely can't head back upwind to try to avoid you.
You did the right thing by staying clear of the rest of 'em.

Sounds like a good day out on the water to me.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-07-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

My first sail in my new (to me) boat will be at least a couple hour run from the storage marina to home after splashing. I hope that my day is a successful as yours...Congrats on a good day!!!

Bill