Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

My Grandad made me buy his boat from him. He said since I was 18 and not going to join the ARMY and I was, at best, going to turn out to be a professional boat bum, I would at least, have a place to live. He told me If he passed before I paid him off, than I would'nt have to pay him.
Old 04-07-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Not what...who. The answer is my wife. She simply fell in love with it. The boat is perfect for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I've always been a sucker for a pretty sheerline, and Brit Chance certainly knew how to draw one...

Couple that with a price that I - being of the belief that I never, ever want to finance a toy - could afford to write a check for, mine was a no-brainer...

capta likes this.
Old 04-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We had been up to 40 feet and were looking for a couples' boat in the 30 foot range.. Your perspectives shift a lot when you've had a 40 footer's space, and we couldn't find anything in budget at 30 feet that didn't feel small...

Ended up with a 'smallish' 35 footer with most of our 'wishlist' items, chief of which were fin keel/spade, two doubles w/o breaking down a dinette, fractional rig, and reasonable galley. Happily she'd been nicely cleaned up already, so it's been easier to keep her that way than make her that way. Of course we've way more into her now than she's worth, but that's the way it is....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-07-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Reputation, price and value for the money...Complete A30 for $4800, sailable, rebuild A4, good sails and solid foundation in which to build a small cruiser for wife and I.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 04-07-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

The biggest truly trailerable boat I could find that is fast and well designed, preferably with an inboard diesel in my price range. Something that would be fun to day sail and casually race while having enough room down below to accommodate two people for 1-2 week cruising trips. We ended up with a very nice S2 7.9, inboard diesel, on a trailer, with ten sails (4 mains, 3 155's, 1 105, and 2 spinnakers). She's sitting in the water at our sailing club now, and I have yet to see a boat in this size and price range I would rather own!

I mean, how could I pass THIS up!?

Last edited by Rhys05; 04-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

When I met my wife I had a Hotfoot 20 that we raced and camped out of, and we were ok with that. Once our son came along we weren't using the Hotfoot much because we weren't comfortable taking a baby/toddler on such a high strung, open transom boat, so we decided that we had to move into something more family friendly.

Our criteria, other than cost, was:

Decent performance -
-Fin keel
-good Sail area/displacement ratio
-not too heavy
-good quality rigging and hardware

Good sized berths.
-we both sprawl out when we sleep, so most v-berths are too small for us
-many dinette layouts in the 27-30' range are also small

Child Friendly decks and cockpit
-A cockpit free of hazards for little fingers
-A cockpit that has room enough for a toddler to move around, yet stay contained
- Side decks that are open and clear to move around without squeezing past rigging and obstacles. (That is my preference anyway!)

Enclosed head-The wife wasn't interested in a porta-pottie!

Inboard Diesel engine-A gas engine was a deal killer for me!

I also wanted something a little more unique. I really didn't want something that thousands of other people have.

We looked at alot of boats, and determined that the 27 footers were all too small, and we needed to go to 30'. Of course with our limited budget that narrowed our options. When a friend of mine showed me a Santana 30 I found that it filled our criteria quite well in all regards, and was within our price range. We got decent performance, yet still plenty of beautiful oiled teak in the cabin. With the parallel setee and fold up table I was able to design a bed that spanned the entire salon, giving us a near queen sized bed, and our son got the enclosed v-berth to keep him and all his stuff contained.

It's not perfect, but we have had many years of enjoyment out of her, and many great memories.

Of course after 9 years with this boat, we have a whole new list of prerequisites for our next boat, and many of those are going to require a MUCH larger budget!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
Hull#101
Old 04-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

First boat was a Hobie 16.

First keelboat was an Islander 28. Rare on the East Coasst. Nice lines. Perfect foe a family of three. Shoal draft. Great boat yo learn on. Beautiful teak interior with bambo inserts. Wheel steering, hank on sails, good build quilty. Ad her for 10 years and sailed her all over South Jersey, Barnegat Bay.

Current boat of 15 years is a C&C 35 MKIII. Great combo of a cruiser with real speed. Tradition build with stiffness added through balsa core above the waterline. Classic racing lines and performs well in light as well as med air. Comparable in speed to 40 ft modern production sailboats.
Sea kindly in larger seas
Pretty lines and my wife likes her

Rod rigged .
Inboard jib tracks for a high pointing ability.
Spinaker halyards and pole.
Large useable anchor locker.
Solid transom vs open.
Comfortable but safe smaller cockpit.
Wide gunwales for moving forward.
Engine power sufficient for size of the boat.
Spade rudder and fin keel for handling and speed.
Weighted heavy centerboard for pointing as well as higher winds.
Oversized winches and sailing equipment with multiple ST winches
Traveler on coach roof
Set up for singlehanding as well as for a couple
ICW friendly mast
Large holding tank
Large 8 foot V berth
Storage
Straight setees
Forward NAV station. Safe U galley with large refrigerator and 3burner Hillerange stove
No table in center of salon, but off to the side in a U
Handhold interior and exterior everywhere
Head with shower

Bought her t her 15 year mrk. like Jon said no payments. We have added davits, radar pole, lots of electronics tankage for cruising for one month at a time. Many of her upgraded systems are less than 5 years old.

Shortcoming
Shallow bilge
Med weight in large seas
Perfect size for couple cruising , small for more
Small head.
Tender till you learn how to handle her

She's has been a great boat for us nd our sailing style. We have put almost 30,000. NM on her he last ten years. We stay on her every weekend for 9 months and our friends have seen us in every nook and craney, river and creek in the northern and central Chessie averaging about 50 miles sailing a weekend. we also take a major 3 week coastal trip to NEngland or the LISound as well as a week in the Chesapeake vacation on her very year.

Looking for a final cruising boat in 42 ft range, but haven't pulled the trigger yet because we haven't found the right boat able to replace Haleakula. Will be a bittersweet moment when it happens

What made us buy her. Many memories for my wife and I to enjoy together.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-08-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

It's that darn C&C covestripe.
Old 04-08-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Our current boat, an I-28, a hurricane and a po with little interest and opportunity. While hauling our Marshal Cat one November I was approached at the town dock by a guy who had just sailed it up from Boston. He had flooded the a-4, scared himself out of his interest for sailing and had no place to put the boat. It was barely tied to one of the moorings that had been vacated for the season. At the time we were keeping an eye out for a small cruising boat to enjoy our coast. He offered me the boat, Avon, tools, Mustang gear, everything that was tied to the mooring for $1500.00. I told him I would move it to a safe mooring and secure it for the coming storm, which I did, and that I would take a look at it so I could consider his offer. It sounded fishy to me. I moved it using the Marshall and then hauled my little boat. After the blow I went aboard (by canoe) to inspect what was there. Everything was there from harnesses, Mustang suits, a 2 hp obm for the Avon. GPS, VHF, spin pole, whisker pole, sails in good condition, spares for the engine, etc. I did some checking into the boat and the po. He had purchased it from a school where it had been donated after spending 20 years on the hard. He had some work done in Boston and decided to start his adventure into sailing. He decided he preferred downhill skiing. I bought it and we have enjoyed sailing it for 6 years this year. (I replaced the A-4 with a Moyer rebuilt, fw cooled engine) The price was a factor. It turned out to be a great small cruiser. Perfect for short cruises here along the Maine coast. It isn't as painful to upgrade things given the starting point and the Admiral wants to keep it when we buy a larger boat? I don't think I am going to try to keep up with two!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.