Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
My wife's maiden name is Watkins. She turned 27 years-old this year.

Last month we bought a Watkins 27. You do the math.

You're screwed when she turns 60...that will be an expensive birthday
Rhapsody-NS27 and TheWollard like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

It was late...I was surfing thru E-Bay...and I'd been drinking...
Old 04-08-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

On topic...
I wanted a wheel, diesel, and roller furler so when I saw this for short money and the PO included $700 worth of storage, launch, and spring commissioning assistance it was a no-brainer.

Old 04-08-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

We had some smaller boats before but I set myself a smallish list of non negotiables.

Had to be 40 feet or bigger
Had to be a sloop
Keel had to be encapsulated (not bolt on and the concept excludes fin keels)
Rudder had to be skeg hung - spade rudder would not do
Centre cockpit - yes I know all the reasons why some folks on this board won't have them - don't care.
Aft cabin with en-suite head and island bunk
A second double cabin and another head
Head room that would allow me (6'4") to stand up straight almost anywhere.
U shaped galley.
Had to be a passagemaker

Anything else I would live with or change.

It is remarkable how few designs contain all this stuff. Then I set about looking for one and found the Morgan 44 CC, watched several of them on the net for a year or more and finally singled out the one we have now. We have had her for 7 years and still have no reason to regret the decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-08-2013

timtim is on a distinguished road

My weakness for browsing Craigslist for things I don't really need but the price is right, I thought. Wanted a cheap place to stay at the water. Nope!
Bought a S2 8.0B, never sailed before and she is close to splashing soon. Sailboats are a lot of work. Sand, fill, fare, paint, polish, and hopefully a lot of beer in the icebox.
Need to name her "Gold Digger"
Old 04-08-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtim View Post
My weakness for browsing Craigslist for things I don't really need but the price is right, I thought. Wanted a cheap place to stay at the water. Nope!
Bought a S2 8.0B, never sailed before and she is close to splashing soon. Sailboats are a lot of work. Sand, fill, fare, paint, polish, and hopefully a lot of beer in the icebox.
Need to name her "Gold Digger"
LOL! Dude, you are only just getting started! So far you have done cosmetic stuff, wait until the real projects come up! The purchase price is just the price of admission. There is nothing cheap about owning boats.

The impulse buy has got to be the WORST way to get into boating, and is probably the single biggest source of all the abandoned and neglected boats we see. Having said that, I hope you stick with it long enough to reap the rewards that make it all worth it!
Hull#101
Old 04-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I bought my Catalina 25 because I wanted a boat that could let me try racing, cruising, and would be forgiving to my novice sailing skills. I looked at about a dozen boats and knew that I wanted an outboard and simple systems to keep the costs down. The Catalina 25 had the best bones of everything that I looked at and was a pretty good price. I learned a lot on it despite only owning it under a year and a few hundred hours of sailng. I still sail on it all the time since a friend bought it from me.

I bought my Pearson 28-2 because two weeks of cruising on the Catalina 25 made it feel too small and I got sick of not being able to stand up. I knew that I loved sailing from owning the Catalina and was willing to buy a much more expensive boat. However I hate high ongoing costs and in Seattle it is considerably cheaper to own a bit just under 30' than a 30' boat (due to how Shilshole Marina prices slips). I like the big open layout of the Pearson, the lack of interior bulkheads made it feel larger than any of the 30' boats that we looked at. A friend and good sailor had one so I got a personal opinion from a local as well as being able to go on internet reviews. It was also in much better condition than the dozen or so other 28-32' boats that we looked at and asking price was only a little more. Other leading contenders were an Islander 30 Bahama and C&C 30. Now that I've owned it for about 7 months and have sailed it quite a bit I think it was the right choice for us. It is a great boat for a cruising couple.

I've always been very interested in sailing, but finally got into it when I learned that I was going to get a long leave at work. I love "slow travel" where the method of travel is more than just getting to the destination. Sailing is really my new bike touring.
Old 04-08-2013

dinosdad is on a distinguished road

My wife and I had a few requirements, one , it had to have standing room in the cabin, second, it had to be big enough that we wouldn't " outgrow" it in a few years . Three, as this would be our first boat period we wanted a boat that if we decided this wasn't for us it we could discount it heavily if we decided to sell it rather than incur storage fees and without having a large amount invested in the boat. After looking at many boats the reasoning of buying our c&c30 was that it fit the above, and the attitude of the owner was really great, it was in a DIY friendly yard with good prices, and is located in a awesome slice of sailing heaven on the Connecticut coast....no regrets!
Old 04-08-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
What made you buy your boat?
Well, I was foolish and kids were growing up, I bought our first boat "Capri 14.2". My son and i sailed her hard. My wife kept staying from the boat after she learned that we often turtled the boat. I think she was on the boat just one time in the last 20 years. I still have the Capri and she is sitting in the warehouse for the last 5 years since I started sailed the keel boat. I have no reason to sail her, so she will sit.

I have not found any good reasons and the boat I really want to sail to the far away places. Without committing a full time sailing and staying on the boat, I can't justify buying one. While I am not using the boat, she is continue to deteriorate. Just go any marinas, there are so many boats that have never left the marina for years. If I buy one, I want to sail her hard.

Many buying a boat for many different reasons. My only reason to get a boat is to sail to the far away places. I enjoy mesh with the locals one port at a time. I don't like to use the word circumnavigate, but it will be close. Perhaps I will sail back to my birthplace.

I don't have a boat, but it does not mean I have to spend my life on Sailnet. Last years, I sailed more than 5,000 nm and the year before that I did about 3,500 nm. This year I expect I will log in about 6,500 nm. All these sea miles are coastal and off-shore. I served as first mate or captain and have learned a lot from others and experienced many rough water

What I am trying to say is you don't need to buy a boat to enjoy sailing.
Buying a boat is expensive and not an effective means to use your resources. But sailing other's boat is much less. Most of time you can get paid per Diem and your traveling expense too.

On the plus side, with you own boat, you can name you own boat, you can call the shot, you are a captain none the less, you can use the boat as a floating condo, you can motor around as your wish. You can spend every weekend with love ones on the boat. When you go to the Boat show, as you are boarding those mega yachts, the sale lady will ask you if you have a boat. You can say: Oh Yeah, we have been a boat owner for 10 years and looking for upgrade. .....LOL

Unfortunately, I don't have a boat, I can't do the above. Fortunately, those are not my objectives and not important for me.

Purchasing a boat is an emotional thing. With a clear and well defined objective, it will minimize the chance that the boat will become a burden later.

YMMV.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-08-2013

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

My wife and I agreed we wanted a larger boat but were going to wait until I retired. I love looking at boats and a 38 footer was for sale at our marina. I suggested we look at it just for the heck of it. Low and behold from the look on her face I could tell she was in love with it. Wasn't exactly what I had in mind for our next boat but after we discussed the pros and cons I too was sold. For us its a great choice.