Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: What made you buy your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I've always been a sucker for a pretty sheerline, and Brit Chance certainly knew how to draw one...

Couple that with a price that I - being of the belief that I never, ever want to finance a toy - could afford to write a check for, mine was a no-brainer...

Looks like Isle Au Haut...? Great shot...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

My ex-wife did everything she could to keep me from sailing...
So you Could say, my ex-wife made me buy this boat...

For the record my present wife handed me the cash for my last boat... She was also insanely supportive of my crazy 1200 mile trip to sell the old boat, and get this one. Yes I married up nicely. That and her hobbies account for 2 to 3 times more budget than my sailing
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 04-09-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

RE: S/V Tangerine, 1979 C&C24

She is a fine vessel and you have something to be proud of for sure. I just love the lines on this boat and the Orange is fantastic. It was a good choice for your needs. Mine is a bit larger but still manageable and long as the current is slow and the wind. After I am off the dock its all good.

You did good picking up that boat.

S/V East Coast Lady
Old 04-09-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
My ex-wife did everything she could to keep me from sailing...
So you Could say, my ex-wife made me buy this boat...

For the record my present wife handed me the cash for my last boat... She was also insanely supportive of my crazy 1200 mile trip to sell the old boat, and get this one. Yes I married up nicely. That and her hobbies account for 2 to 3 times more budget than my sailing
You can't leave us hanging...what are her hobbies?
Old 04-09-2013
First String

I like most people that have this sailing dream, something brought us all here. Some common thread. Mine was not to conquer the ocean or win all the PHFR races on the eastern seaboard. Mine was not to circle the globe in a small boat.
My goal was my freedom. I just turned 50 this year and I want my time.
I want to explore. I want to see places, to be challenged by the elements. I want to sleep in sometime. So, I began to read this and other sites about sailing and people that have made the transition from the rat-race.That's when I started researching what kind of boats sailors chose and why they chose them over the others. I thought " they cant all be wealthy" How can I enjoy this life style too?

That's when I put a plan together. "I will get one of the old boats hanging on to a mooring ball and petition the court to take Poisson". Then all I would have to do is bring it back to life. "hard work..."
the first step was to find one. it didn't take long before I found one in the local waters of Beaufort SC. "C&C30MK1 1981 model" Solid as a rock She was. just a little wet on the inside. With mold and dirt dobber nest everywhere.

1 year plan "Move to the cost"
5 year plan Get position of a free boat and learn to sail it
10 year plan downsize, sell off everything, Leave 5 to 6 month's each year.

It was my hope to find a free sailboat that would be able to handle short offshore hopes and big enough for my wife and I to cruse the eastern seaboard from the Chesapeake to St. Thomas, VI. I wanted:
1) Wheel Steering with auto steering
2) Pressure Water
3) good sail inventory
4) Stove
5) Head
6) 6' standing room
7) Strong Bones
She had all but a furling system and windless.

This past summer we put only 700 miles under her keel and I look forward to pushing harder this year to go harder and become with the boat. i hope to put 2500 miles on her this summer. I have worked on almost all systems to bring her back from the brink. I need to do some mast wiring yet. The steamer light don't work. other than that my water pump inlet hose on my yanmar is rubbing on the engine saddle wearing my hose out to the water pump. Not shure what to do there? I will have to move the engin over to stop this which will put the shaft out of align? I think she was a good choice at $2,500.00 bucks. and another 6 grand to bring her back. its fair to say i have been bitten. I will start sleeping with her this spring.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-09-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I had given up on trailer sailing (too many good weekends went by with my boat in the backyard) and rented a mooring at a boat club. This was on the Piscataqua River; saltwater leading to the mighty Atlantic; no more lake sailing for me!

I intended to keep the Capri 18 and the trailer, but only launch and retrieve once a year. I would get to enjoy the ocean and keep my maintenance and storage costs down. This was plan in November of 2011.

Well, January of 2012 I'm browsing YachtWorld (evil, evil people) and I see a Catalina 25 for sale an hour north of me asking $4,995. "That's nice," I think. "I'll go look at it when the weather warms up." I check next week (I can stop whenever I want, really) and now they're asking $4,200. So, I drive up that weekend to see why it is so cheap (you know the story, "the photo only shows the good side" or "it does have sails, but...") well, I'm still looking.

I managed to pick up the C25 for the proceeds of the C18 sale plus $350.

Then the work started. I had traded my well cared for 1988 boat with a 2002 engine for a near derelict 1982 with the original 1981 Evinrude. I was in the water on May 11, but didn't have the mast up until July 4th and didn't sail until mid September. Then I broke my foot (and broke my favorite sunglasses and lost my favorite hat) my first time out and had to take 2 more weeks off.

I only got out 2 more times before it was time to pull her for the season.

So the C25 cost me:
My old boat
$350
Thousands more to get her into shape
Pretty much a full season of sailing

But, this year I have a new (to me) Honda outboard and I'm building on last year's progress. Instead of looking at 8 expensive things I have to buy, I'm looking a few cool things I want to buy.

The cover is already off and I'm knocking things off my work list!

See you on the water,

Ken

P.S. The C25 was a good call, that C18 would have been lost in that busy river; the C25 bounces around enough!

Here's a photo I added after posting this; we'll see if it gets through:

sigh.

Well, here's link:

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CarbonSink62; 04-09-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: This thread is useless without pics!!!
Old 04-09-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

It's a love story, no other way to explain it.

I'd had other boats before and sailed on many smaller and larger. I had settled on a boat in the 30ft range as a good compromise between room and cost. Some things that I wanted in my boat:

- Comfortable accommodation for 2 that could stretch to 4 for short period.
- Skeg hung rudder
- Diesel engine

things I preferred:
- un-pressurized alcohol stove
- manual pump water
- no water heater

The first time I laid eyes on b29.9 I fell in love. Something about the proportions, the curves, the classic lines struck me. There were a few to choose from on the east coast. So I set off searching for my boat.

But instead she found me.

downeast450 and CarbonSink62 like this.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 04-09-2013
First String

Nice
Old 04-09-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Very nice BristolBob.

I looked at one a few weeks ago, I am also in love.

Take good care of her; they only made 217 of them!
bristol299bob likes this.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 04-09-2013

jim murdock is on a distinguished road

I wanted something 28' to 30', with room for the 2 of us w/standing headroom, Tartan or Pearson, well equipped and sound. Found a P-30 that is loaded with equipment has deck fittings potted (no wet core) and inexpensive. Does need deck paint now and topside paint in a couple of years.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.