Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
What made you buy your boat?

I did a search and did not come with a thread about it.. so I thought I would ask: Why did you buy the boat you did?

In case anybody asks.. I am in the process of buying a shabby Sea Sprite 23. I adore full keels and classic looks. And this pocket cruiser has it in spades. However, it is only a stepping stone as I am looking further ahead to full time liveaboard/cruising on a larger boat.. so I am making the transition from a GP14 (racing/cruising dinghy) to a bigger boat in the hopes of not getting in over my head once I get my "big boat" (hopefully an alberg 37)

And I want to save this sprite.. it's solid but looks a lot worse for wear

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

I wanted something around the 24' size, something fairly quick, responsive, well built but with a decent amount of room below i.e. not a camper and not a full-keel "salty" looking thing.
Tangerine came up, looking rough but I saw the diamond underneath. Bought her, and with a lot of time, effort and probably too much money, took her from this:

to this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

The first boat I bought (Venture 2-22) because I wanted to learn how to sail as well as learn how to fix things myself. The boat was able to float and came with a set of sails and didn't cost too much so if I failed at teaching myself to fix things, I wouldn't be out too much money. It was also a manageable size for dealing with by myself.

The second boat we bought (two of us now) we bought after considerable research and looking at how we wanted to sail now and what we wanted to be different from the first boat. I am convinced that the right course for us is buying a boat for how we sail *now* and when we get to that other level, we'll buy a boat at that time for how we'll sail then.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-07-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

Oh I know the answer to this one......... Brain Damage!
Captainmeme and SolSailor like this.

Old 04-07-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

My wife's maiden name is Watkins. She turned 27 years-old this year.

Last month we bought a Watkins 27. You do the math.

Old 04-07-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I researched boats that could go anywhere and not too big for a first boat. I dreamed of escaping from my current routine to adventure, travel, and discovery.

I was about to look at a Cape Dory 27 but then a Norsea 27 came available near where I was moving to and decided to take a look. It needed some work and cleaning up (still does but not as much). I saw it looked to be a good boat and thought the asking price was reasonable so I went for it.

To get an idea of what it looked like when I got it, this first post in my blog could be a good start: Rhapsody: Things to do

Mainly, I had a bunch of cleaning to do because the previous owner had it stored on its trailer in Arizona and it got infested with bees. I had the (dis)pleasure of cleaning them up. The PO used a bug bomb and killed them all so I had a bunch of sticky bee bodies, wax and honeycomb to clean up. (Oh Joy!)

The mess from the bees:
Rhapsody: Bees!
Rhapsody: Beeswax

Also had other work like cleaning up the old varnish which is still in the works but stopping leaks were higher priority. I really like my little boat and I'm happy I got it.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 04-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

When it came time to retire, having not lived in a house since 1969, it seemed logical to buy another boat, after all, I didn't know squat about houses. I've always said a house is a poorly built boat that won't go anywhere.
I wanted 5 things on my "last" boat, not necessarily in this order.
1) a real bed, center line and walk around
2) an engine room; I'm just too old to crawl around in confined spaces
3) all roller furling; the bee's knees, in my opinion, especially because I was single handing
4) electric winches; single handing a 50' ketch, I can use all the help I can get
5) a bridge; a real, enclosed steering station w/ heat & air
I got 4 of the 5 on the Pearson; no bridge, woe is me, no just kidding.
Been constantly sailing her since purchase w/ 2 trips to the Caribbean and one north, 4 round trips to Grenada from St. Thomas and heading for Grenada again next month, for the hurricane season.
So this boat worked out very well for me and I'm not a single-hander any more, which I have to credit the boat for, because I'm sure nothing special.
Old 04-07-2013

Freerider is on a distinguished road

Excitement and impatience.......bad combo!
Old 04-07-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I wanted the most boat for the least money that met the following:
6' headroom.
Wheel steering.
Enclosed head.
Diesel inboard.
Dodger and bimini.
Decent sized v-berth.
Under 4' draft.

Found it in 2008.
been trying to find something better ever since. No luck.
We'd love to get just a little more room, just a little more speed, just a little more waterline, just a little more cockpit, a galley that could fit a stove, a cabin that could fit a bulkhead heater... but we don't want to have to leave our current idyllic Dock. We can't find the perfect boat, which is why I am (very slowly) building our perfect-to-us boat.

Old 04-07-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The first sailboat was a Catalina 27. Learned to sail on it, sailed around Chesapeake Bay for 5 years, then decided I needed something larger.

After lots of research, driving more than 5,000 miles looking at them, I found a 33 Morgan Out Island. It's big enough to live on, lots and lots of room, sails extremely well, and easily single handed. Morgan stopped making these boats many years ago, and finding one in decent shape was somewhat difficult, but I eventually found one just 50 miles from home in Rock Hall, MD.

Good luck on your search,

Gary