Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Real life playing out one of my ideas.

The couple who abducted their kids and then dissappeared on a small sailboat are playing out something I have long wondered about. "How long could a small sailboat dissapear in the Gulf of mexico given a 24 hour headstart? Consider that sailboats are notoriously poor radar targets and under sail will not show up much on IR imaging either.
In 24 hours, The radius of search from John's PAss is about 120 miles and expands 120 miles every day. by now, they could be anywhere from the Keys, to somewhere on Lake Okechobee or up in the Fl Panhandle or even as far as Lousiana. With Shoal draft, that boat could be far up a river with its mast down hiding under a camo tarp and brush. He could be up the Apalachicola river as far as Georgia. He could be up the Kissimee River. He could be hiding in the Thousand islands area of the Everglades. He could be hiding up some creek off Lake Wimico (one of the most isolated places in Fl or far up the New River near Carabelle so far up that nobody goes there.
Or, he could be in Cuba.
They are both engineers..............
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Real life playing out one of my ideas.

The US has an extradition treaty with every country in the western hemisphere, Cuba included. While politics might delay an extradition, it probably wouldn't stop it - even if they could make it across the Gulf or the Caribbean in a 40 year old, 25 foot sailboat that they have owned less than a month (per the news).

So the best guess is that they have set up a stateside hideout, probably somewhere rural and fairly close by - such as the big bend or panhandle areas of Florida. Another possibility - the drug bust that set this in motion was in Louisiana, so if they can get that far, maybe he has family or buddies in cajun country that will help him hide out.

Seems a fool's game, though, unless they can figure out a way to travel eventually to a country without an extradition treaty with the US (and have some money to spread around).

Other, very unlikely possibilities - find some international non-profit to take up their cause (and fight extradition), or - gulp - decide to go native on some small island in the Caribbean. Based on pix in the Tampa Bay Times, they'll need lots of sunscreen to go that route....
Old 04-08-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I also think they will eventually be caught. I just wonder how long "eventually" is. Maybe they intend to sell the movie rights...........
Old 04-08-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

I thought about the possibility that they might try to get to Cuba, The Bahamas, Jamaica, or where ever. Then I thought, did they plan this far enough ahead to have gotten passports for themselves and the kids? Probably not. So I think they are going to have a lot of trouble getting any other country to let them in. My guess is that they're up a river trying to hide somewhere.

Eventually they are going to get caught. I can only hope that the idiot parents don't do something to endanger the children when that time comes. But given their record so far, I'm afraid that they probably will.
Old 04-08-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

It's our civic duty to report any "Can I sail to Cuba with NO experience?" threads.
Old 04-08-2013

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road

May be much more to this than we will ever know. I know a few people who have messed up in the drug area and still have their children. I, for one, do not trust this government at all and would not report them, would not want to get caught helping them either. The media uses the anti-gov. tag as it seems to sell papers and news.
Old 04-08-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
It's our civic duty to report any "Can I sail to Cuba with NO experience?" threads.
Just as it was every German's "Civic Duty" in WW2, to report all jews to the Gestapo. I dont think I would fullfil my "Civic Duty"" unquestioningly, in that situation, or many others. Nice to be forewarned on who would .
You are in" interesting company".
Old 04-08-2013

lowtide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Yes, vee must report zee thought crime immediately!

Maybe, just maybe, it would be your "civic duty" to report someone who was known to be headed to Cuba, or on an illegal voyage, but to ask about it on an internet forum is not illegal.

At this point, the fear of Cuba and the commies is more than a little absurd.

Growing up in South Florida, one of the main topics of the evils of Communism was that the Party had a representative on every block to rat out anyone who didn't toe the party line, and how inherently evil that is. Such irony that someone would think that's the right thing to do to protect freedom.

'
Brent Swain and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 04-08-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Threads like this let you know who has their paranoia knob turned up to 11 with their sense of humour turned off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2013

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road

Froggy,
Give me a small sailboat and a 24 hour lead and lets play, 'find me if you can!'

all smiles,
Ron