Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Are abandoned boats a big problem in the U.S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post

I've thought about getting a project boat but a certain young lady is telling me otherwise.
This is my boat. I found it on a mooring ball. it had been there for 4.5 years with no one to mind her. the guy that owned her had Alzheimer's and had forgotten where is left it. After the 3 month chase just to find who owned it I was able to work with his family and legal team to pick up the boat for $2,500.00 dollars. After 5600 dollars I had it appraised for 31,000. that's $28'500.00 profit if I wanted to sell it. But I will not she is a fine boat. I will sail her until I can no more.
I had a plan to do just that, take it from someone that no longer wanted it. take it by legal force. But in my case I did not need to do that. in the due process phase of the process. I found the owner and the rest is history. Take a look and see what you think.
It will be nice if there were more people that wanted a free boat and would go thru the process to get one. I'm writhing a book to teach the process, in the hopes to clean up the waterways of the U.S

S/V East Coast Lady: Photos of the progress
Group9, Rhapsody-NS27 and Morild like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

We seem to get a Cat 3 hurricane here where I live about every five to ten years or so. Those are very good at taking care of the abandoned boat problem.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-09-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I got my current boat from a marina that had taken it for unpaid fees.

When I viewed it in February (northern hemisphere) the bilge water was an inch from the cockpit sole and frozen solid. The boat has a cabin liner; if the water/ice had lifted the sole, the boat would have been trash.

I often wonder about boats & cars I see abandoned. When they parked it there, did they know it would never move again?

There is a 16' daysailer at the end of my street that looks better every year!

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CarbonSink62; 04-09-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: OCD
Old 04-09-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
After the 3 month chase just to find who owned it I was able to work with his family and legal team to pick up the boat for $2,500.00 dollars. After 5600 dollars I had it appraised for 31,000. that's $28'500.00 profit if I wanted to sell it. But I will not she is a fine boat. I will sail her until I can no more.
Good for you, my friend... there is something very satisfying when you can restore something nice, and bring it back to useful life. Well done!
ltgoshen likes this.
Old 04-09-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Many years ago, I published an article in Ira Black's Noreaster Magazine about derelict boats. I think I also posted it on this forum as well, but alas, I cannot remember when.

The U.S. has a huge problem with derelict boats, more than anyone can possibly imagine. Some states have as many as 10,000 derelicts, many of which are fine, servicible boats. Of course, there are lots more that are well beyond repair and need to be scrapped.

The cost of scrapping a boat is outrageously high, and the process of obtaining a title on a derelict is long and complex in 99 percent of the states - in some instances, as long as six months. I'll try to dig up the old article and post it again on this thread, but it may take a couple days to find it.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 04-09-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for the information about this issue in the US.
I will be writing (well almost done) an article regarding this matter in Denmark, where we are just starting to see the problems.

If anyone has a picture that shows a bunch of aboned boats at your place, I would be happy to see it, and allow me to use it in the article.
Old 04-09-2013

NateCP16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
TQA,

....A simple spreadsheet showed they could take half the disposal cost, put it into low return US Savings bonds, and pay the slip rental off of the interest....

My thought is that marinas need a better way to get rid of these clunkers, so those rare slips can be put back on the market.
The marinas can raise the price of the slip so that the calculation doesn't work out anymore. Or the federal reserve could drive interest rates to zero....
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
not sure on the marinas around here (not too many "real marinas left.. most are condos with slips) but I know since Hurricane Sandy.. there are 4 small powerboats out in the marshes between Atlantic City and the Mainland that have just been left to die. There are probably a lot more, those are the ones I just see on my way to work
If things go like Katrina, the Coast Guard will eventually let contracts to gather them up.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-09-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

They could just hang a sign on it saying" Free gear ,free boat , help yourself". A lot of it would dissappear .
They have invented machines to grind up fibreglass boats, to make an addative for concrete, which increases its strength drastically.
Old 04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
This is my boat. I found it on a mooring ball. it had been there for 4.5 years with no one to mind her. the guy that owned her had Alzheimer's and had forgotten where is left it. After the 3 month chase just to find who owned it I was able to work with his family and legal team to pick up the boat for $2,500.00 dollars. After 5600 dollars I had it appraised for 31,000. that's $28'500.00 profit if I wanted to sell it. But I will not she is a fine boat. I will sail her until I can no more.
I had a plan to do just that, take it from someone that no longer wanted it. take it by legal force. But in my case I did not need to do that. in the due process phase of the process. I found the owner and the rest is history. Take a look and see what you think.
It will be nice if there were more people that wanted a free boat and would go thru the process to get one. I'm writhing a book to teach the process, in the hopes to clean up the waterways of the U.S

S/V East Coast Lady: Photos of the progress
I see some like that every once in a while and I admit I have thought about it, but never had the gumption to do what you did. You make me wish I had.

Tags
abandoned boats

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.