Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Are abandoned boats a big problem in the U.S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateCP16 View Post
The marinas can raise the price of the slip so that the calculation doesn't work out anymore. Or the federal reserve could drive interest rates to zero....
My Federal has no damb reserve. But thats a nother thread.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Are abandoned boats a big problem in the U.S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
but never had the gumption to do what you did. You make me wish I had.
Well it took very little time and energy to complete the process. "FOR ME" I was lucky in my search, that I found the owner.
One of the first steps in my process is to get the local law enforcement to do a search for the owner and if they find him, they give them an ultimatum to move their boat within a specified time or forfeit. In most cases this is the first big hurdle. Most owners will just move the boat a mile up the river and let it go again for years. This cost money at this point. So to keep from paying this $45.00 fee I do the research myself. If I can’t find the Owner the law can’t find the owner!! Then, and only then … I go the magistrates office and file the paper work. Then I take the signed copy to the Sheriff’s office. After they try to find the owner “ 3 to 6 weeks” They sign it and send it back to the magistrates office. They will get the judge to sign it “4 to 5 weeks” and it gets mailed to my house. At that point, I take it to DMV for a title change into my name. After I have position I file with the DNR and license it to me and the boat is mine. Or I can register it with the US Coast Guard instead if I want.
So, all that being said, I was able to contact the owner. When I found them, they almost gave me the boat. They wanted it gone so badly. I got a killer deal on the boat. My publisher thinks so as well. And thinks the book is coming along nicely. He hopes for my to complete it by late June 2013. We’ll see.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
abandoned boats