Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: North Sails Direct fiasco

I just outfitted my boat with a whole set of sails (used, in great condition) from Masthead Sailing Gear in st. pete. I took the measurements of my head stay, sail track and boom. picked out sails that basically fit out of their invetory. My loose footed main, $495, two reef points, (6 inches too short, big whoop) my 85% working jib $300, my 135% genny, $400 my A sym spin, $495., storm jib $ 50 bucks. all in like new condition and arrived in one week. A whole set for 1400 bucks! Highly recomend Masthead sailing gear, good prompt service, good selection. But it takes a wee bit of common sense on the customer end.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-08-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

ccher is on a distinguished road

North Sail Direct sent me a made in Sri Lanka sail that appears perfect in every dimension with construction quality equal or better than my old loft made North. Not clear whether the OP is just complaining about the initial mistake in delivery or that the 2nd sail was not right as well. Anyway North as do most reputable on line sail maker want a sign off on dimensions so I suspect something's going unsaid here.
Old 04-08-2013

troy2000 is on a distinguished road

Let's see... If I understand correctly, North Sails received an order that simply specified a '135% jib' for a particular model of boat. If they really accepted an order worded that vaguely instead of asking for specific dimensions, it was incumbent upon them to follow through and find out what the correct dimensions should be. There's a big difference between 135% and 87%.... sounds to me like they just screwed up, and looked up dimensions for the wrong sail.

And if the customer was charged an extra $500.00 for prompt delivery and they delivered someone else's sail instead, with the correct one showing up a week later by boat, I fail to see why he should pony up the money anyway -- regardless of how much it cost North Sail to straighten out their mistake, the guy didn't get what he paid them the $500.00 for.

Was the customer depending a little too much on the sail maker, instead of doing his own homework and doing a better job of scheduling? Probably; sounds like the new sail was kind of a last-minute afterthought. But that doesn't excuse North Sails' double screw-up.

Last edited by troy2000; 04-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Let's see... If I understand correctly, North Sails received an order that simply specified a '135% jib' for a particular model of boat. If they really accepted an order worded that vaguely instead of asking for specific dimensions, it was incumbent upon them to follow through and find out what the correct dimensions should be. There's a big difference between 135% and 87%.... sounds to me like they just screwed up, and looked up dimensions for the wrong sail.

And if the customer was charged an extra $500.00 for prompt delivery and they delivered someone else's sail instead, with the correct one showing up a week later by boat, I fail to see why he should pony up the money anyway -- regardless of how much it cost North Sail to straighten out their mistake, the guy didn't get what he paid them the $500.00 for.

Was the customer depending a little too much on the sail maker, instead of doing his own homework and doing a better job of scheduling? Probably; sounds like the new sail was kind of a last-minute afterthought. But that doesn't excuse North Sails' double screw-up.

So whats North Sails side?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Frankly, my experience with the non-mail order North loft was that not all that different from the OP. A few years back, I ordered two sails from them. The first was supposed to be an AP #2 and came in cut as a flat cut, heavy air #2. They stood behind that sail and replaced it with what was supposed to be the same size sail cut as an AP. That sail is way under reinforced and so is useless, being too small for light air and too stretchy for mid range. Frankly has been used 3 times and sits bagged and unused.

The second sail was an AP #3. The loft again measured my boat and insisted that I needed to add a new longer track, which I did. After the track was installed, they came out and remeasured. When the sail arrived the sheet lead did not even hit the track. We had weeks of discussion about how to adjust the sail to get it to hit the track without screwing up the sail. Then they ignored what was agreed to and did something completely different and unacceptable. When I complained, in fairness they did return my money and did tell me to go somewhere else.

So on one hand, I think they tried to do the right thing. On the other hand, their accuracy in making sails to the right size and shape sucks. And they left me with out an AP right at the start of the sailing season.

Quantum came in and made the sails I needed quickly, for less money and they have been brilliant sails with the kind or wide wind range I was looking for.

As a postscript, I did buy back the North #2 sail that was cut too flat for an AP, with the plan of using it as a heavier air #2, and have used it, but it has not stood up very well compared to the Quantum Jib which I bought to replace the jib that North never could get right. The Quantum sail has way more use, in way more wind than the North, yet the North is shot and the Quantum looks like new.

I think that the reality with North is if you are not a one design racer, or a rock star, but you care about your sails, they are the wrong place to go. North made me a big believer in Quantum.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Interesting Jeff. We started our circumnavigation with two new North sails, a #2 and an asymmetric and they have been terrific, especially the #2 which now had been used for more than 20,000 miles and still seems decent. The only repairs to the two sails have been for chafe issues at the corners and along the foot.
Old 04-08-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

A friend ordered a RF genny from the local North loft. They did the measuring and it was for a Catalina 30 (I think they must made a few sails for that boat over the years!!). TWICE they delivered a sail that was the wrong size. Took a year to get it right.
Old 04-08-2013

DalesStar is on a distinguished road

I WORKED ON THE BOAT FOR 12 YEARS IN MY BACK YARD. IT WAS NEVER IN THE WATER., (Personal attack removed per forum rules, Jeff H Sailnet Moderator). The sail took 4 weeks to make. I paid for fast shipping and they shipped the wrong one and shipped mine on the ship, which arrived a week later. Pay attention. Sail makers have the dimensions for every boat. There was nothing they said that I had to provide. I'm new at sailing so I believe them. My bust., not trying to win a court case, if you want to buy from the go ahead. I'll even insist that you do.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-08-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Personal attacks removed- Jeff H SailNet Moderator
Old 04-08-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Dales. it's understandable your angry but really, you should know the dimensions of your boats rig. My own boat calls for a 33.3 ft luff on the main.. I have a sail on her that is close to 35' and there is still room for the main halyard to give it tension.

Do you have photos of the project? 12 years! some people loose interest after 3! I have my eye on a Morgan at another YC where it's been sitting for years.

my current "project"!
Old 04-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesStar View Post
I WORKED ON THE BOAT FOR 12 YEARS IN MY BACK YARD. IT WAS NEVER IN THE WATER., (Personal attack removed per forum rules, Jeff H Sailnet Moderator). The sail took 4 weeks to make. I paid for fast shipping and they shipped the wrong one and shipped mine on the ship, which arrived a week later. Pay attention. Sail makers have the dimensions for every boat. There was nothing they said that I had to provide. I'm new at sailing so I believe them. My bust., not trying to win a court case, if you want to buy from the go ahead. I'll even insist that you do.
I am surprised that they didn't ask for any measurements. It is not always as simple as ordering a sail based on the model of the boat. My boat, for example, was a relatively limited production run. There were about 110 boats built over 8 years, and in that time there were 4 different rigs offered. I happen to have the dimensions for 3 of those rigs, but my sail maker still came down to measure everything when I ordered a sail.

We hear stories like yours fairly often, although usually the real horror stories are the small lofts, not usually the big guys like North and Quantum. In almost every case, when we dig a little deeper a more complete story comes out.

What was their reasoning for not reimbursing you for the express shipping? $500 seems a pretty steep price to pay to get your sail a few days earlier.
That must be a fair percentage of the cost of the sail!
Hull#101

Tags
north sails