Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

DalesStar is on a distinguished road
North Sails Direct fiasco

Just a heads up on North Sails sails. Besides burning us for about $400, they sold us a jib that was suppose to be a 135% for a 1973 Morgan OI33, we had a rigger install it all because I've been working on the boat for 12 years and never saw it up. So the sail we got when taken down and measured was only an 87% jib. Then North Sails tried to make it out as it was our fault. How can "Professional" sail makers make such a drastic mistake, and then put it on us. Like we were suppose to do their job. In 15 minutes online I found the appropriate sizes and dimensions, why couldn't they.
Then we wanted the sail here faster so we paid $550 for express shipping. When the box comes in from Sri Lanka, it wasn't our sail and they don't know where our is. We were trying to hit a window to take off sailing, and that delayed us a month. No compensation from them or apology. Just s**t happens. This saga goes on and on, small claims court etc, before we got most of our money back. I'd just advise against using them, or do so being forewarned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: North Sails Direct fiasco

It would be interesting to know the I J P E and other dimensions supplied on the form you filled out VS the dimensions on the sail you received ?

Or how the size was decided ?

There is no useful original number on my 1970 Cal 29 as the original headsail was on hanks and the mainsail track is different

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I am not sure I am understanding the situation. You have had the boat for 12 years, but had to pay someone to put your sail up? And then once you had it up, and presumably used it, you never noticed that it was a non-overlapping sail, a detail that would be hard to miss!

Shipping mistakes happen, and it sounds like they tried to make it right, but why should they be expected to eat an additional $500 in shipping because you don't want to wait?

Why do I have the feeling that there is more to the story than what you are telling us?

The thing about ordering sails online is that they are relying on measurements made by the consumer. Is it possible you made a mistake on the measurements? It's not like ordering parts for a car, where make and model is all the info you need!
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 04-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

I have bought four North Sails through their direct sails program in the past three years. I used their New Orleans rep. In every case we used a VERY detailed spec sheet to spec out the sail. In addition we emailed and talked on the phone as often as possible to make sure the specs were agreed then I signed the spec sheet to order the sail.

All four sails - loose footed main with triple reef points/storm jib/asymmetric spinnaker with dousing sock/trysail - are spot on with what I ordered. Three of the four were delivered early and the fourth was only a few days late...for orders that were agreed to be filled from six weeks to three months after I confirmed the orders. Packaging of the orders was superb. The agent followed up with me to make sure I was happy with the sails encouraging that I inspect each of them and rig them and sail with them to make sure they met my needs. I did that except for the trysail because I don't have my track installed for it yet.

You really have this sail for 12 years and never used it?
Old 04-08-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

And only three posts!
Old 04-08-2013

DalesStar is on a distinguished road

The boat was in my back yard getting worked on for 12 years. I got the sail just before we dropped it in so never to have sailed it nor seen it with the mast up I had no idea. Why would I second guess the "professionals"?
I paid $500 for fast shipping, they delivered the wrong sail, (it was not my sail), I'm suppose to eat that? Right like you would!! My sail showed up a week later via a boat.
Old 04-08-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Who put that one up?
Old 04-08-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesStar View Post
The boat was in my back yard getting worked on for 12 years. I got the sail just before we dropped it in so never to have sailed it nor seen it with the mast up I had no idea. Why would I second guess the "professionals"?
I paid $500 for fast shipping, they delivered the wrong sail, (it was not my sail), I'm suppose to eat that? Right like you would!! My sail showed up a week later via a boat.
Ok, so you paid $500 to get the sail quickly, they shipped the wrong one, found the right one, and got it to you in a week. I'm not sure how much quicker they could have corrected the mistake. They must have fast shipped the replacement sail to get it to you that quickly, and ate that cost. You must have really been in a hurry if you were willing to pay $500 to have the sail in less than a week!

Your shipping choices aside, how did you order a sail for a boat that you had never even seen the mast up, let alone measured the rig? Where did you get the rig dimensions from?

Clearly you are not satisfied with the service you got, but don't sign on to a site like this to vent about it and expect everyone to take what you say at face value. You should be able to make a stronger case than you have if are going to publicly attack a company.
Hull#101
Old 04-08-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Never order sails, shop for sails or let someone else tell you the dimensions you need. MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE, after 12 years you must know ever inch of the boat and you should know the sail and rig dimensions.
chef2sail and Cherp like this.

my current "project"!
Old 04-08-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

RIG DIMENSIONS KEY
I: 40.50' / 12.34m J: 13.50' / 4.11m
P: 35.50' / 10.82m E: 14.00' / 4.27m
PY: EY:
SPL: ISP:
SA(Fore.): 273.38 ft2 / 25.40 m2 SA(Main): 248.50 ft2 / 23.09 m2
Total(calc.)SA: 521.88 ft2 / 48.48 m2 DL ratio: 311.26
SA/Disp: 14.09 Est. Forestay Len.: 42.69' / 13.01m

my current "project"!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
sprega (2 Weeks Ago)

Tags
north sails