Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI to Panama Canal

The big wave action off the north coast of Columbia is exhilirating. it's like taking the double black diamond trail on a big sky mountain. it's can be as much as 200 miles across from north to south in the winter. It's serious and I have had some real neat sails across it. Last time was in a 27 foot Benny. Imagine a 20 foot swell with a 100 foot base, and a 4 foot swell in top of it like hershey kiss shape, and 2 foot of curling chop on top of that, just to give you a nice splash slam, and every fith set is just a big curing monster of all that combined. I kind of like it for some bizzar mascacistic reason, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-09-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I expect Cornell to give his honest assessment of any passage he's describing... What are you expecting him to say?
It is worth noting that Jimmy wrote World Cruising Routes (WCR) based on older Sailing Instructions. While he has sailed a lot he hasn't sailed everywhere. *grin* Like the products of most research projects it can indeed be a little dry. That doesn't make it less useful! I'm pretty sure I can tell from his comments when he has sailed a route, but even so one, two, or three trips on a route aren't statistically significant.

There are two reasons that references like WCR and pilot charts should be taken with a grain of salt. First, weather patterns have indeed changed over time. Second, Sailing Instructions and more recent weather observations from ships at sea understate historical conditions because ships try to avoid bad weather. Jimmy will be among the first to agree.

Jimmy Cornell and his son have collaborated on a massive new project, throwing away all the oldest data and compiling the information from visual, thermal, and radar overhead imagery to generate updated pilot charts for the planet.

You can get yours at Amazon (
Cornell's Ocean Atlas: Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World: Jimmy Cornell: 9780955639654: Amazon.com: Books Cornell's Ocean Atlas: Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World: Jimmy Cornell: 9780955639654: Amazon.com: Books

). Mine is signed. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Update:

I have committed to this voyage from BVI to Colon, Panama. If the wait is not too long for the crossing, I will stay on the boat until Panama City. From there, the Captain/owner will have his pre-arranged crews to sail her to Australia.

Leaving for BVI next Tuesday and sail out Wednesday weather permitting. It looks like wind will die down next week. Only two of us, my favorite number (2) for the long voyage. Last month, we have 5 of us in the boat doing the Thorny path. We had no place to go. In the mid-passage, the owner had to fire the acting captain. It ended up only 4 made it to Dominican Republic.

I am bringing my fishing gear and hope to get some good sushi on our way.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 04-18-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Update:

I have committed to this voyage from BVI to Colon, Panama. If the wait is not too long for the crossing, I will stay on the boat until Panama City. From there, the Captain/owner will have his pre-arranged crews to sail her to Australia.

Leaving for BVI next Tuesday and sail out Wednesday weather permitting. It looks like wind will die down next week. Only two of us, my favorite number (2) for the long voyage. Last month, we have 5 of us in the boat doing the Thorny path. We had no place to go. In the mid-passage, the owner had to fire the acting captain. It ended up only 4 made it to Dominican Republic.

I am bringing my fishing gear and hope to get some good sushi on our way.
Careful of the reef fish and ciguatera. Safe trip
rockDAWG likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I will avoid Barracuda and snapper this time.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-18-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=SVAuspicious;1014055Mine is signed. *grin*[/QUOTE]

Who signed it?