Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road
Bad things that happen at sea.

I am having trouble finding statistics that would tell me how many sailboats (30ft. and under) are lost at sea during any given year. I am interested in the East coast, and Northern Caribbean areas. Any ideas on where to look?
And for all of you with years of experience would you say these things usually happen because the people on board are reckless, given that today there is plenty of warnings with todays technology...etc. or, is it that the wheather can change that fast and the wheather people miss it that often?
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad things that happen at sea.

Not that many girl sailors and the you have them Mermaids out there! Who really knows? ...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 04-08-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Don't have ant stats, but the number of boats lost in these areas would be very small. Probably not weather related unless you are talking about something like Hurricane Sandy which destroyed many boats where they were moored.
Old 04-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Again, no data per se, but I think that the majority of losses are usually reported as rescues or attempted rescues. Very few people are so disconnected these days that they could disappear without anyone noticing and raising an alarm. Of course if they were and did they wouldn't show up in stats either.

Probably more cases of people (esp singlehanders) going overboard and the boat eventually drifting/sailing to a landfall where it's noticed...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-08-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Here are the SARSAT rescue statistics: NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Statistics

If you read these forums, you will discover there is a wide divergence in opinion on this subject. I believe common sense and problem solving play a large role in these incidents, much more than the boat or gear or training. Many seem to think if they only have the right boat, the gear, the right set up, the right training, they can ensure safety when they set off to sea. If you read these forums, you will discover incidents with all these factors, yet a lack of common sense and good judgment results in a disaster.

Why are you interested in this subject?
wannabsailor likes this.
Old 04-08-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

You may check into the CG at each location and do a survey.

Every boat that lose at sea has her own reasons with a collection of multiple bad things happen at the wrong time. Without knowing the specific, I would not so quickly saying the involved is reckless. It is a bad omen. With each tragedy happened at sea, I would rather learn as much the details and hopefully not let it happens again.

Because there is always dangerous elements at sea, that is why men attract to it.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-08-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Make sure you subtract the folks who want to stage their demise for one reason or another. 'Lost at sea' is one of the easier methods to do that.
Old 04-08-2013

P424 is on a distinguished road

I have seen 2 out of 4 boats lost in one group. We left with plenty of time to make the crossing. In fact even with slowing down so the others could catch up the ones that were lost were the late ones. One of the boats was relatively untried. They had been out a few times. Their rudder broke in the seas and had a leak they couldn't fix on an old steel boat. The other boat wouldn't listen when told they weren't prepared. They had a mechanical problem that would keep them home. I refused to help them with it . Some real nice guy who knew nothing of what was going on fixed it for them. It failed and after they did everything wrong they could they were drifting north in the gulf stream with no power or sails and a tropical storm bearing down on them. I did something I will never do again I put my boat and the other boat in danger to go back and try to help them. As it was we caught them as the coast guard helo had gotten there. Great People My hats off to them. Seems the crew in trouble had no safety equipment no flairs no offshore vest only ski vests. No EPIRB and hardly new how to use their GPS. Lots of bear wine and ice though. So God does look out for fools and others. No one was hurt. Never saw that couple again. Dont want to. I had told them before 2 words they need to look into. MOTOR HOME I herd they got one. I had know them from a trip I took with them to the Keys after that one I said never but got screwed by a good sameritin
Old 04-08-2013

HardTAC is on a distinguished road
Bad things that happen at sea.

Most boats are lost as a result of changing the boat's original name, and beginning a voyage on a Friday. ;-)
Old 04-08-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
You may check into the CG at each location and do a survey.

Every boat that lose at sea has her own reasons with a collection of multiple bad things happen at the wrong time. Without knowing the specific, I would not so quickly saying the involved is reckless. It is a bad omen. With each tragedy happened at sea, I would rather learn as much the details and hopefully not let it happens again.

Because there is always dangerous elements at sea, that is why men attract to it.
precisely