SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

newbe question about freshwater tanks

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
I will be purchasing a older sailboat very shortly. The owner and myself are still negotiating a price but all looks good. The plywood interior is rotten and will need to be replaced. Since this will be done I figured its a good time to upgrade plumbing and electrical as well. I'm confused on the fresh water tank. Why do I need it? This boat is 26 ft long. I live in illinois. It will never be on an ocean. I plan on sailing lake Michigan. Could I pull water from the lake with a screen then use a filter system to make water?

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to sailnet Mike!
How much is the owner paying you to take the boat away? rotten interior....

You could pull lake water but you would need special filters like those used by survivalists, I still have them from when I was into backpacking.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Water-Filter-Reviews
You will be able to carry more then enough water on the boat. and it's easy to refill when you go into marinas and other places boaters go.

Suggestion; keep and or upgrade the systems on any boat you get.

#4 ·
Mike - While Lake Michigan water is drinkable as-is in an emergency situation, filtration/purification will be necessary using either a purpose-built water filter or iodine tablets, etc to avoid bacteria. Given the ease of carrying potable water (bottles, jugs, etc.), I really don't think using lake water is necessary.

We have a 70 gallon freshwater tank aboard our boat that we keep partially full with hose water from the dock. We only use it for washing dishes and our hands. We carry bottled water (or larger jugs if cruising) for drinking.

#5 ·
I agree with Denise; keep it. The next buyer may REALLY want it, and if you don't have it, you won't get the sale.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever drink the water in my FW system (at least, not until I pull out the tank and disinfect it, and replace all the hoses). But I have friends and family aboard, and sometimes it is nice to be able to wash your hands.

#7 ·
Thanks for your responses.

My thought was gut the tank and use lake water for hand washing and head. Then install a ro system for drinking water with a uv light. I just thought this made more sense than leaving a tank onboard that needs cleaning and smells If you neglect it and it sounds like most won't drink it anyway.

Ok more about the boat. Cabinets, teak, cushions, sails, are in good shape the boat has been stored indoors for 5 years. Unfortunately water got inside. The floor is built up with plywood and carpeted. The floor is mushy in spots I expect it will all need replacing and carpet.

My purchase price is swapping for a job I did. My out of pocket expense is around $800.00. Now for the kicker. This boat is 1976 reinnall 26 foot.

Through my research reinnall is not looked at highly. Its not to late for me to walk on this deal but I fealt the price is right and I have the ability to undertake this project. Keep in mind this my first sailboat. I have owned power boats in the past.

#8 ·
I'd walk... these are not good boats, and taking on that kind of issue is not necessary in today's market.

Unless you're truly hankering for a project, you'll be out a lot more than $800 and still have a boat that's not worth much at all...

#9 ·
Oh, a 1976 reinnall 26 foot, hopefully on a trailer that has good tires and springs.
Well, good luck and welcome to Sailnet.

#11 ·
For $800 you can low ball someone and get a fair-condition, ready to sail 22-25' sailboat that has a better reputation and doesn't look so weird.

To each their own, though. Good luck - I'd keep the water tank if you get the boat, it doesn't hurt anything being there and empty, and people like to wash their hands with fresh(ish) water more than lake water.

#12 ·
How clean is the lake water? A filter will remove biological contaminants, but it won't remove hydrocarbons (fuel) or pesticides. I filter a lot of water from back-country ponds and lakes, but typically won't filter from large bodies of water with lots of motor traffic and runoff.

If the water is safe after filtering then I'd recommend a gravity filter (MSR and Platypus make good ones). They will filter about a gallon of water in 5 minutes with no work on your part. A pump style backpacking filter is slightly smaller but will filter a gallon of water with 5 minutes of continuous pumping.

#17 ·
Reinell 26 has some fans. The boat is not a total dog but I would not call her pretty.......
The hull is actually a Gary Mull design and ought to be similar to the California Ranger 26.. but the deck and, I think, the execution is sup par, esp the finish materials used below (IIRC a mohair style of headliner.. carpet everywhere (agree with miataPaul about that).. again, better boats are easily available, ultimately cheaper than what this one is likely to end up at.

#16 ·
If the boat requires new bulkheads then there is a fair investment and work effort before you can even sail it. Not having a good interior will make it harder to sell when you out grow it. Those are good reasons to look for a better boat.

"Free" boats rarely seem to be really free. I think most are probably more expensive than decently cared for but simple $5000 boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.