Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013

mike130 is on a distinguished road
newbe question about freshwater tanks

I will be purchasing a older sailboat very shortly. The owner and myself are still negotiating a price but all looks good. The plywood interior is rotten and will need to be replaced. Since this will be done I figured its a good time to upgrade plumbing and electrical as well. I'm confused on the fresh water tank. Why do I need it? This boat is 26 ft long. I live in illinois. It will never be on an ocean. I plan on sailing lake Michigan. Could I pull water from the lake with a screen then use a filter system to make water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: newbe question about freshwater tanks

Welcome to sailnet Mike!
How much is the owner paying you to take the boat away? rotten interior....

You could pull lake water but you would need special filters like those used by survivalists, I still have them from when I was into backpacking.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...Filter-Reviews
You will be able to carry more then enough water on the boat. and it's easy to refill when you go into marinas and other places boaters go.

Suggestion; keep and or upgrade the systems on any boat you get.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 04-09-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Consider resale value. If the boat came standard with a freshwater tank, and you remove it, you will be seriously reducing the resale value of the boat.
Old 04-09-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Mike - While Lake Michigan water is drinkable as-is in an emergency situation, filtration/purification will be necessary using either a purpose-built water filter or iodine tablets, etc to avoid bacteria. Given the ease of carrying potable water (bottles, jugs, etc.), I really don't think using lake water is necessary.

We have a 70 gallon freshwater tank aboard our boat that we keep partially full with hose water from the dock. We only use it for washing dishes and our hands. We carry bottled water (or larger jugs if cruising) for drinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Denise; keep it. The next buyer may REALLY want it, and if you don't have it, you won't get the sale.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever drink the water in my FW system (at least, not until I pull out the tank and disinfect it, and replace all the hoses). But I have friends and family aboard, and sometimes it is nice to be able to wash your hands.
jameswilson29 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-09-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

You do realise that a boat that size with an interior that needs to be replaced has NEGATIVE VALUE IF THAT WORK INCLUDES BULKHEADS.

Anyway keep the tank.
Philzy3985 likes this.
Old 04-09-2013

mike130 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses.

My thought was gut the tank and use lake water for hand washing and head. Then install a ro system for drinking water with a uv light. I just thought this made more sense than leaving a tank onboard that needs cleaning and smells If you neglect it and it sounds like most won't drink it anyway.

Ok more about the boat. Cabinets, teak, cushions, sails, are in good shape the boat has been stored indoors for 5 years. Unfortunately water got inside. The floor is built up with plywood and carpeted. The floor is mushy in spots I expect it will all need replacing and carpet.

My purchase price is swapping for a job I did. My out of pocket expense is around $800.00. Now for the kicker. This boat is 1976 reinnall 26 foot.

Through my research reinnall is not looked at highly. Its not to late for me to walk on this deal but I fealt the price is right and I have the ability to undertake this project. Keep in mind this my first sailboat. I have owned power boats in the past.
Old 04-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I'd walk... these are not good boats, and taking on that kind of issue is not necessary in today's market.

Unless you're truly hankering for a project, you'll be out a lot more than $800 and still have a boat that's not worth much at all...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-09-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Oh, a 1976 reinnall 26 foot, hopefully on a trailer that has good tires and springs.
Well, good luck and welcome to Sailnet.
Old 04-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at the NADA/BoatUS listing on the value of the boat, and have you priced out the cost of the repairs you must undertake? I suspect that the cost of the repairs will far exceed the value of the boat once repaired.
Alex W likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.