Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
The Age of Fighting Sail----2013

In reality, most people think sailboat racing is akin to racing snails, "Dude, wake me from my coma when something happens", so I have a way to make it much more exciting and even non-racing boats could participate and we could dispense with all those silly phrf rules.

PAINTBALL SAILING

One single shot paintball gun/crew member. A gun is reloadable but can fire only one shot before being reloaded.

A hit crew member may not fire anymore. A hit helmsman may continue to steer.

A shot to the rudder and the hit boat has to make a full circle before taking any further actions.

A hit to the mast and the boat must drop her sails.

Once all crew members are hit, a boat must strike its colors and surrender.

Strategies would evolve very similar to those actually used by fighting sailing vessels such as Bow or stern raking an opponent, getting the "weather guage", crossing the T. large boats might become "Ships of the Line" because they have more people carrying more guns or they could have their paintball guns set at slightly higher speed for more range corresponding to heavier guns on larger fighting ships. Smaller vessels could be frigates, etc. One might even consider using smoke bombs to mimic the pall of smoke that caused so much confusion in actual battles.

Unfortunately, nobody in my sailing club liked my idea. They were afraid their sails or "brightwork" might get stained. Of course, my admonition of "Screw yer infernal brightwork, this is war" didn't change any minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Age of Fighting Sail----2013

Combine this with the "Does the US have an abandoned boat problem?" thread, and I think you've got the guts of a great idea! (seriously...sounds fun...just not with my boat!)
jimgo likes this.
Old 04-09-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

no paintballs on my new sails... water safe or not!
although it might make my decks look cleaner.
jimgo likes this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 04-09-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Seriously, find some decrepit Lasers, throw some worn out, but still serviceable, sails on them and go to town! I'd do it!
Old 04-09-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Different brands of paint will be made up of different substances, some of which will stain and some of which won't. Generally, you'll find most of the paint is made up of fish oil, vitamin e, or coconut oil, combined with some substances to give it color and sometimes detergent. The biggest concern I'd have with the paint itself would be stained lines, but I wouldn't worry about fiberglass or wood as long as you spray it off soon after. Most paints will stain or leave a mark if they sit on a surface for an extended period of time, depending on color and condition of the surface. Also keep in mind that as paint sits outside, it becomes softer and less likely to break (we kept a car running during our tournaments and left the paint inside to keep it from going soft), which may cause damage to glass or other potentially fragile surfaces (although unlikely).

You should buy a few types, test them on different surfaces and see what stains and what doesn't. In my experience, tournament grade paint and really cheap crap is more likely to stain than mid-level stuff, for different reasons.

You also need to keep safety in mind and that everyone should be wearing a mask, no excuses and no exceptions. I've seen several people come close to losing both eyes on more than one occasion. Also take into consideration that paintballs only have a certain velocity and range, you'll have to be fairly close to one another to hit, especially with any kind of wind. Anything over 300fps is unsafe, I don't care what anyone tells you. You'd also need to find a place fairly secluded with enough space to maneuver and not worry about hitting other boats or objects.

Personally, it sounds fun, but I can see a lot of risks involved with people trying to operate a sailboat, avoid collisions, and still get close enough to hit each other with paintballs.
Old 04-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: The Age of Fighting Sail----2013

It's funny that you should post this; just last night my son and I were joking about combining paintballing and sailboat racing!

I think to make it more realistic the guns would need to be mounted along the beam, with very limited range of motion. Then it would require a lot of maneuvering in order to bring your broadside to bear. Perhaps having to use a hand pump to re-preasurize the guns between shots would simulate the serving of the old cannons.

While the paint can be messy, it is non toxic and easily washed off with water. The bits of gelatin from the outer shell could clog up cockpit drains though.
Hull#101
Old 04-09-2013

Good god, if yer sails are so virgin lookin, yer not using your boat enough, get over their looks and use the boat and wash the stuff off, UV from the sun will break it down if you use the boat.
SAme thing goes for gelcoat. UV from just sitting at your slip will break down the paintball stuff. UV plays hell on everything else so I am sure it will break down paintball stuff too.

I do worry about the spent paintballs in the water. How easily do they break down and how fast?
Old 04-09-2013

lajimo is on a distinguished road
The Age of Fighting Sail----2013

Boarding nets? Nerf cutlasses and axes?
Old 04-09-2013

Schock:

Maybe mount the paintball guns on the stanchions with a limited swivel range.
During battle, everyone would wear a lifevest as protection and goggles of course.
Old 04-09-2013

Some things would be hard to replicate today. Nelsons "Go straight at em and board em in the smoke" won't work here so no boarding nets or nerf cutlasses.
Similarly, the Brit strategy of getting the weather guage and hitting "twixt wind and water", ie on the hull, wont work cuz hitting the hull cannot be verified easily.
The effect of heel on gunnery could be replicated via a limited vertical angle on the stanchion mounted guns.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.