Marine Gremlins? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barquito

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2013 Thread Starter
Reward for lost Kraken!

Marine Gremlins?

OK now, we all know that if some squeeling brat on an airplane gets too loud, the gremlins will hear the sound of fresh tender meat and tear into the plane in order to get it. Or, if the plane is too pretty, or the gremlins don't have cable tv, or any one of a hundred other reasons, they'll tear into a plane.

So when you see critical parts chewed off and odd things fail, you just know it was gremlins.

Now, what about boats? Gremlins mess up planes. Airboats, maybe, flying boats, maybe. After all, if it gets into the clouds who knows what might find it.

But boats? Sailboats? Just what DO we properly call those nasty critters that look and act just like gremlins, but obviously can't fly, don't live in the clouds, and like to mess up our boats instead of planes?

I know that tossing a goodly libation to Aeolus and Poseidon will usually keep the nasties off the boat, but if I knew better what to CALL them, I'm sure that would also help.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-10-2013

Re: Marine Gremlins?

Generally I call 'em rats.

something chewed a 3 inch hole in my RIB's tube over the winter and made a nest.

Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-10-2013
Barquito

If, for examle, you loose a servo rudder off your steering in the middle of the night, or there are mysterious scratches through your bottom paint, consider a kraken.
Whovian58 likes this.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2013
Master Mariner

Rats not withstanding, I think you've got it right; boat gremlins.
Warning; THERE IS NOT DEFENSE! They come and go as they please and seem to have a penchant for causing us stress.
I've tried garlic, prayers, pleading, deals, silver crucifixes and even have salt water (a salt circle?) surrounding the boat, to no avail. I once tried maintenance, but that was too much work.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2013

There was a troll lurking on Freya (as befitting a Norske boat) when we first took possession of her. We found that it loved to live in the most inaccessible parts imaginable. Occasionally it would create mischief like messing with the steering gear or playing with the electronics. Sometimes for spite, it would loosen the packing gland just enough to puddle up water under the companionway steps. For the better part of a year, we chased that troll from the extreme bow to stern and parts in between where it was almost impossible to get your hand into, let alone a wrench. We finally chased it off the boat and I am happy to say we’ve been troll free these past thirteen years. I just hope those fancy troll guards I got mail order from Norway for the mooring lines keep doing their job.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-11-2013

Don't feed them after midnight............really bad news
post #7 of 7 Old 04-12-2013

Ahhhh, those be snorkel snoids me thinks

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.