Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Now THIS is an interesting sailboat. (TED video)

I like this guy.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Now THIS is an interesting sailboat. (TED video)

Interesting concept but fastest in the world? give me a break.

A Sydney harbour skiff would eat it for breakfast and I think a foiler moth might give it a run for it's money.

Certainly the moth would be faster in some conditions.
Old 04-10-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Way to go Vlad!
Interesting barely covers it.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

We have been following that in the interesting sailboat thread. They have a working prototype. I am not convinced. The prototype video is also posted there.

Old 04-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I think it is vital that people keep experimenting with basic design concepts, but some issues came to mind. How fast does the keel can't for tacking? Also, how do you tack if the water is 10' deep considering that the draft looks like 12'+? If you scale this to a 100 footer do you end up with a 50' keel or just an enormous bulb which would present major engineering challenges? He presented some cruising boat iterations, what the draft be when coming to anchor. Would this type of boat be significantly faster than a Class 40 type boat?
Old 04-10-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

TQA,

The goal is to build the fastest ocean going mono. So it's real competitors are the Open boats, not hydropter or the Moth. Think more the Mari-Cha IV.
Old 04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I think it is vital that people keep experimenting with basic design concepts, but some issues came to mind. How fast does the keel can't for tacking? Also, how do you tack if the water is 10' deep considering that the draft looks like 12'+? If you scale this to a 100 footer do you end up with a 50' keel or just an enormous bulb which would present major engineering challenges? He presented some cruising boat iterations, what the draft be when coming to anchor. Would this type of boat be significantly faster than a Class 40 type boat?
Killarney, a Forty class racer is not the fastest of the 40fts. That boat is a solo boat and as that it is a very fast boat, but boats more tricky to sail and demanding a crew are faster, like the Farr 400 or the ker 40. And we are not even talking about boats with a canting keel. Those (Open 40) will have the potential to be faster than all mentioned before.

I like new ideas but I am afraid this one will be a flop. This is a model of a bigger boat. On a bigger boat the weight of crew will have much less importance regarding creating additional RM with their weight on the right place. Notice on the movie below that the boat is sailing slowly and the crew has to move outside to balance the boat. The boat should have enough RM (power) to sustain much more wind without the need to the crew to move outside to create additional RM.

Remember that on a traditional sailboat when the boat heels considerably the RM is increasing. In most boats the max RM is obtained with about 60º of heel that means that when the boat is overpowered by a gust the boat heels, the wind passes over the sail and the boat comes back.

On this one with very little heel, maybe a bit less than 15º the boat reaches Max RM. When the boat is sailing at that heel with Max RM what happens when a gust hits the boat? Now you have the guys moving to the outside of the boat to pull it back... but on a big boat how they expect to do that?

I find highly suspicious that the boat went to the water in September and we did no have a single movie with the boat at speed. Maybe that's just me being suspicious

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2013

mgb69 is on a distinguished road
Now THIS is an interesting sailboat. (TED video)

First thought to me - why even bother having it as a keel?
You could easily have a weighted ballast that could slide out over the rail. None of the drag in the water. Extend the mass out as far as you want to give the boat increased righting moment.
Not all that practical, but if all you want is mass leveling out the boat and minimal drag - is it not more effective?
Mark
Old 04-10-2013

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...On this one with very little heel, maybe a bit less than 15º the boat reaches Max RM. When the boat is sailing at that heel with Max RM what happens when a gust hits the boat?...
Exactly.

Old 04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb69 View Post
First thought to me - why even bother having it as a keel?
You could easily have a weighted ballast that could slide out over the rail. None of the drag in the water. Extend the mass out as far as you want to give the boat increased righting moment.
Not all that practical, but if all you want is mass leveling out the boat and minimal drag - is it not more effective?
Mark
A guy on the Boat Design forum had a working model of one. It makes sense but it is kind of complicated and it will give the boat a very nasty rolling motion in waves.

The more innovative system and that in my opinion makes sense is the DSS, that works in conjunction with a normal keel increasing stability.

Dynamic Stability Systems

Imagine an airplane. The Air on the foil makes him go up. No imagine an wing on the water that makes force up opposing the heeling. That is a dynamic way to create RM. Faster, more RM generated.

At least this one sails at a decent speed

Regards

Paulo