SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   BVI to Annapolis (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98345-bvi-annapolis.html)

sailvi767 04-10-2013 08:58 AM

BVI to Annapolis

Everything has to come to a end and after 25 years of sailing in the BVI its time for a change. I am moving my boat from the BVI back to the US. It will go to Annapolis initially and then perhaps to the Bahamas for the winter. I have sailed various boats around many of the Caribbean islands but this will be a 1200 mile open water sail. Not quite the same as SXM to the BVI.
If anyone has made the sail from STT to the US mid atlantic I would love to hear of your experience and any advice you might have. There are lots of options and considerations. We will be leaving around 24 April.
Should we go just N of the Bahamas and pick up the gulf stream boost? Should we go direct for the shortest distance. Should we go to Bermuda and visit for a day or two and then head across?
Is there any essential equipment you wished you had or were glad you had onboard? I will have 3 GPS units, stocked ditch bag, satphone ect.. How did you handle sailing and night and set up watches? Did you use a professional weather planner or wing it? How long did the transit take and what type boat did you use. This will be on a 45 foot cat that makes good speed.
Any and all advice will be appreciated!!!

TQA 04-10-2013 10:48 AM

Re: BVI to Annapolis

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailvi767 (Post 1014608)
Everything has to come to a end and after 25 years of sailing in the BVI its time for a change. I am moving my boat from the BVI back to the US. It will go to Annapolis initially and then perhaps to the Bahamas for the winter. I have sailed various boats around many of the Caribbean islands but this will be a 1200 mile open water sail. Not quite the same as SXM to the BVI.
If anyone has made the sail from STT to the US mid atlantic I would love to hear of your experience and any advice you might have. There are lots of options and considerations. We will be leaving around 24 April.
Should we go just N of the Bahamas and pick up the gulf stream boost? Should we go direct for the shortest distance. Should we go to Bermuda and visit for a day or two and then head across?
Is there any essential equipment you wished you had or were glad you had onboard? I will have 3 GPS units, stocked ditch bag, satphone ect.. How did you handle sailing and night and set up watches? Did you use a professional weather planner or wing it? How long did the transit take and what type boat did you use. This will be on a 45 foot cat that makes good speed.

Well when I did it I was firmly in cruise mode and gunk holed my way along the south coast of PR, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas then Florida. In and out of the ICW as I coast hopped North. Took me about 6 months. Great fun.

hallucination 04-10-2013 06:46 PM

What is the reverse of the carib1500? I thought there was a BVI to VA/annap flotilla?

https://www.facebook.com/carib1500

anybody?

Zanshin 04-10-2013 06:51 PM

It is called the "Atlantic Cup". The ARC, World ARC, Caribbean 1500 and Atlantic Cup are all organized by the same group. See Atlantic Cup for details.

hallucination 04-10-2013 06:59 PM

Good to know, I will be going down this path next year+6 months. The ARC does a REALLY good job of pre-breifing,safety checking etc. My money broker did the canary ARC for the last three years on a Oyster 82, last year was a little dicey however.

Sanduskysailor 04-11-2013 09:01 AM

The offshore route from the BVI to Annapolis can be dangerous. Especially in April, early May. Cold fronts coming of the US East cost can be very unpredictable causing extremely rough conditions as waves pile up against the eddies east of the gulf stream. Weather forecasts in this area are good for about 3 days which is not always enough. It took us 8 days on a 55 foot sloop with a hull speed of 10+ knots. We sat for 1 day of that 8 mid ocean waiting for some weather to clear. We also had 240 gallons of diesel so motoring was never a problem.

First off, you need good communications. A SSB is a must for this trip. A sat phone is a definite plus. Radar helps especially in skirting passing squalls and when traveling from the lower Chesapeake to Hampton Roads. Those military vessels and car carriers can be downright frightening at night. Since you will be out of the range of CG helos for most of the trip an offshore liferaft would be prudent.

We used Southbound 2 (Herb Hilgenberg) for our weather routing. He is excellent and has tons of experience. Additionally we downloaded real time gribs and forecasts through our sat phone which overlayed on our Maxsea charting software.

Bottom line is that it can be a pleasant trip if everything goes right and you get a good weather window. The problem is that you are mid ocean and you have no bail out options if the weather changes from your 5 day forecast. Because of the gulf stream and it's meanders and eddies, the waves in this area can be very steep and confused. We got caught out in a 3 day gale. Our bailout option was Bermuda which we chose not to take because it would have only reduced our exposure to the storm for a day and we would not have arrived in daylight causing further delay. 25 foot breaking waves with the sporadic 40 degree off angle wave thrown in. I'm not sure a catamaran would be the right pick if you encounter that.

If it were me I would island hop up to the Bahamas then cross over to Florida and wait for the right timing to to take the up elevator to the Chesapeake. Lots more relaxed and could be a fun trip.

rockDAWG 04-11-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailvi767 (Post 1014608)

It will be a great trip either the direct or the scenic routes. Knowing you have sailed your boat for 25 years, I am sure you will be fine. Recheck your riggings and all critical components, carry your common sense and check weather window, and GO.

If you want to add more comfort in your head, get an experienced crew with you, so you can sleep nite.

Good luck, and the crab cake is waiting for you. If hot crabs and cold beers are your thing, there are plenty when you arrive too. LOL :D

svzephyr44 04-12-2013 10:38 AM

I am curious why one goes along the south coast of Puerto Rico rather than heading direct from the BVI USVI to the Turks

capta 04-12-2013 01:04 PM

My preference in that voyage is to sail toward the Northeast/Northwest Providence channel in the Bahamas, then through it and ride the stream north. On my last voyage in 2010, VI to Charleston direct, I was a bit too far east and we had no wind at all for the entire voyage.
By sailing just east of the Bahamas you can pick up a bit of "local affect" wind, which is caused by the shallows in the Bahamas heating up, creating a bit more breeze. However, this route does run one very close to if not over Silver Bank and quite near the T&C. This isn't so much a problem today, with GPS, but in the days of celestial navigation, it was of some concern.
Riding the stream around Hatteras can be a blast or a horror, depending on your luck, but again, today accurate weather forecasting is widely available, and there are plenty of places to wait out a northerly on the US coast.