Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chicago to South Manitou Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whovian58 View Post
Fantastic. Thank you, wuffiesails.

If there are any Chicagoans around: out of curiosity, what would you consider the best/worst aspects of sailing Lake Michigan?
Worst!, The winds can be flukey and on your little run from Chicago to South Manitou it is possible to be becalmed for a day or more sitting in the same spot for hours, we don't always have predictable winds. When it blows it can blow hard and when it doesn't, it doesn't.

More worst! when the winds don't blow and you are becalmed, you can rest assured that you will be attacked by biting black flies, blood sucking hungry, biting flies that hurt like hell when they stick you with that damned stinger and draw. I mean until you experience a swarm of black flies in the middle of the lake, you will never understand it. Hundreds, thousands of hungry biting horse flies in the MIDDLE of the damned lake! Miles from anything!
There is nothing I have experienced that can make a day on the water less enjoyable.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
black flies in the middle of the lake
There are days when I'd gladly trade all those biting flies for saltwater corrosion, jellyfish and toothy sharks.
Whovian58 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2013

wuffiesails is on a distinguished road

Best and worst. Great question. I love losing sight of land. Nothing but blue all around and the sky above you. Similarly, at night, while the glow of Chicago and Milwaukee are often visible far off in the distance, the light pollution disappates and can see thousands of stars that were invisible to you when you left port. If you are on the big lake at night in late July and early August, you'll no doubt be treated to a light show from the Perseids meteor shower. That always enlivens a night watch.

I think someone else mentioned the biting flies. When the come, they come in large numbers. Your legs will be mauled and there will be dead flies all over the cockpit. That's not so good. I could also do without the short period, flat-faced waves. You and your boat can take a real beating in waves of heights that on the open ocean would be nothing more than gentle swells.
Old 04-11-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
There are days when I'd gladly trade all those biting flies for saltwater corrosion, jellyfish and toothy sharks.
yes, of course go ahead and add me to the Fresh water is good part... Or, just ask my wife who is from Florida. First time out on a hot sunny sweltering day and I ask if she want to go for a swim. "You swim out here?" Of course we do, the water is beautiful.
After a while she exclaims, "I can wash my hair!" Of course you can, "It's FRESH water!"
Whovian58 likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-11-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whovian58 View Post
I'm grateful for all the input so far, guys!

For Readers of Nautical Tales: what annoys you the most about stories/novels written by authors who have never been on the water? Or nautical-themed movies, for that matter?
That's easy. Too many stories, novels and movies leave a bad impression due to the failure of the author to research terminology, common practices and simple reality.

You are moving in the right direction by asking questions here; you'll get lots of friendly (and mostly accurate) input. You can't go wrong by having someone with expertise do a bit of proofreading for you.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Whovian58 likes this.
Old 04-11-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
I mean until you experience a swarm of black flies in the middle of the lake, you will never understand it. Hundreds, thousands of hungry biting horse flies in the MIDDLE of the damned lake! Miles from anything!
There is nothing I have experienced that can make a day on the water less enjoyable.
Amen! And, they seem to have two, highly developed capabilities:

1. They are able to maintain exact ankle-biting altitude in the cockpit.
2. They can back up in mid-air and reisist effective swatting about 95% of the time. I can't tell you how many times I've screamed: Haaa, you bastard! when i was sucessfull in nailing one of the many that were tormeting me.

Murph

S/V Amailia
1965 Cal 30
Old 04-11-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Picking up on the black fly comments.... some "colour commentary". While this happened between Killarney and Bustard Islands on Georgian Bay, it applies here, equally.

Beautiful day, but not much wind, so I motorsail, in shorts, barefoot in boat shoes. Keep rubbing one leg/ankle over the other as the flies attack. When anchored at the Bustards I have to wash the cockpit floor where I stood while steering: it was entirely pink/red with (my) blood as I stood and crushed the flies that had been biting me.

As to your question about things that bother us when watching movies etc...

It is often too obvious when a scene is shot on a sailboat that is supposed to be under sail that, in quite a few cases, the director skips the sailing bit... The boat is virtually stationary, sometimes even with gently flapping sails, when the true professional would have the boat properly underway.

Anyway, since you say you know little about sailing, I would recommend that your editor (1) be familiar with sailing language/jargon etc... or (2) you submit your manuscript to a sailor with some writing skill to "vet" the accuracy of your language and the plausibility of your scenario(s).

Again, best of luck.
Old 04-11-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

How about in that erectile dysfuction med commercial where the guy fixes his broken mainsheet. The next picture shows him cruising home at sunset... only the jib is backwinded, and you can see a tow line. Poor guy has ED and doesn't know how to sail his boat!
Old 04-11-2013

Whovian58 is on a distinguished road

I just looked up those blackflies... that's just wrong. Guh-ross.
We've got mosquito swarms down South during summer, but I'll take skeeters over those blackflies. Any day. Sheesh.
Barquito's comment about the ED commercial made me laugh out loud. Niiiiice job, post-production team!

Tags
great lakes , overnight , racing , sail boats , tartan