Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004

nthompson is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

We are having to dock Hunter 19 with stern backed into u-shaped floating dock. The floating dock is secured into a large 20x35 fixed concrete/steel pier on 3 sides, and a steel post on the port bow side. I have heard both sides of whether it is proper to moor a sailboat facing away from slip. Any suggestions I appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

With a boat that size, it might be really easy to go in bow first, tie up briefly while you neaten up the boat, and then when you''re ready just push the boat back out and spin it around using bow & stern lines. You have to take wind & current into effect when you do this, of course, or you become the afternoon''s entertainment. If you''ve got an engine, (probably an outbboard?) backing in depends upon how maneuverable you are in that mode, what side of the rudder the engine is, the "prop-walk" factor, and a bunch of other stuff. You might want to practice out in the open -slowly- to get a feel for how your boat behaves before the "real thing". Ours goes backwards really nicely, but we have a keel to keep us going straight and a spade rudder attached to a BIG wheel so we don''t worry about the tiller getting pinned to the side in reverse. Have fun!
Old 05-31-2004

oz_hole is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

I "read a story somewhere" and the idea was that you should always have the boat facing the direction you''d like to go, in case you need to move quickly.
But of course the wind, tide and amount of people gathered to watch the docking might warrant an easier bow-in approach.
Oz
Old 05-31-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

One of the things I love about sailing is that I pretty much get to decide what is proper on my own boat.
<P>Is the docking manuever performed in a safe manner? Does it result in a well-secured vessel? Are you saitisfied with the way it''s being done? Then it''s proper.
<P>Many times <em>proper</em> is just a synonym for accepted practice and tradition. Great things, those two, but not written in stone.

Jeff C
Old 06-01-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

If you hang out in your cockpit and want to be social with the others in your marina; stern to. If not, bow to.
Old 06-01-2004

eric97217 is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

My boat is moored stern in with the bow facing out due to the current on the river I sail but I become use to it and prefer mooring that way. I can steer with the rudder and outboard to get it lined up, I can see how much space I have to the dock and if I find I am approaching to fast, put in forward and give some gas, since you can go a lot faster in first than reverse with an outboard motor. I have seen some folks misjudge their distance and/or speed and bump the dock with the bow of there boat. And with 19 foot day sailer, it should be a piece of cake to moore it
Old 06-03-2004

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

I used to dock a 22-foot boat bow in only because I didn''t want my outboard coming in contact with the dock at high tide. I now have a 35-foot boat that I always dock stern in. I do this primarily because it is much easier to board and load the boat, and hook up to shore power. However, I also do it because it is more difficult than docking bow in; it tests my skills more and thus gives me more satisfaction when I do it well. I agree with Eric--docking a 19-foot boat stern in should be easy.
Old 07-31-2004

elhanley is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

If it is not proper, then all the yacht owners in Europe will have to go out and turn their boats around. Just suit yourself. One other factor is the prevailing wind. I like an upwind slip for ease of sailing into, but mainly so I can regulate the breeze blowing through from the forward hatch. Stern-to a good wind is a pain below - add rain, well you get the idea.
Old 08-04-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Stern docking

Ahoy Me Matey, strange ye should ask considering that after me latest blockade of Cape Coral, dis ere old Pirate sailed down river and slipped into an impossibly narrow (35''), mile and a half long canal deep into the heart of Pine Island under full sail,( no motor). At the point where de canal takes a hard turn to starboard me Pirates lair (three slips) to Port face out de canal , so I throw de helm over hard and den backs me mizzen and wit one foot on de tiller and me hands holding de mizzen boom I back into me slip like a ghost from hell. T''was a neat bit of sail handling for sure and I''s would not reccomend dat youse all try such a stunt but darn iffin it wasn''t a grand spectacle of seamenship. Aye me vessel always faces out iffin I''ve got to hoist me sails in a hurry to sally forth on another quest of Piracy I be ready. Pirate of Pine Island.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.