Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By killarney_sailor
  • 1 Post By SVAuspicious
  • 1 Post By hellosailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
How many SIM cards do you carry?

Roaming charge is killing me. Not able connect back to office every week is not an option. Sat Phone is not an answer either. From the Windward Islands to Mexico / Belize, what SIM cards are a must have.

Last trip going through Thorny Path in Bahamas, I was able to connect most of the time sailing through the islands, so I would like to get a card that will work in Bahamas.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How many SIM cards do you carry?

We buy a SIM card for any country we go to where we plan to stay for a time.. Generally the cost ranges from $1 to free when you buy air time. Generally they, and/or the air time expire after 30 days or 90 days. If you are in the same country you can top up your time, but once it expires it is time to start again. It has been our experience that you need a different card for each country even if the same company operates in both - for example, our Vodaphone card from Australia was useless in South Africa or was it NZ and Oz.

Anyway, to answer your question I have about 5 SIM cards but only because I haven't thrown them out.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 04-10-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Haha.... I thought you might have more since you guys have traveled more than most of us here.

For voice roaming, I assume they will give you a new phone number. Will your old number still work when someone call you?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-11-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

We carry two; one for the US which we use in the VI and a second one for the hurricane season in Grenada. We don't worry about the rest of the islands as we can use any local's phone for local island calls if the need arises, which is rare.
Internet is THE method of communication IMO for sailors today. Quite a difference from ham radio and phone patching of yesteryear!
Old 04-11-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We get SIM cards for anywhere we are going to be more than a couple of weeks. Right now we have 3 - Aruba, Bahamas, US - and as previous poster commented; you never know when they will expire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-12-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We have a different phone number in each country so we have to let people know the new number so they can call us. We also use Skype when it makes sense.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 04-12-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
We get SIM cards for anywhere we are going to be more than a couple of weeks. Right now we have 3 - Aruba, Bahamas, US - and as previous poster commented; you never know when they will expire.
Jaye is on track. The easy answer to "How many SIM cards do you carry?" is "As many as you use."

I have two or three from the Bahamas since sometimes it is cheaper to get a new number than reactivate an old card. I've got cards from LIME, Digicell, and Orange. There might be another odd one here or there.

My US phone is a quad-band AT&T iPhone 4 which works almost everywhere right off the boat. I also carry an old quad-band Razr for a local card.

The big usability factor has been a US Google Voice number. I use the Google Voice number to give to people that might call me from the US. It rings my AT&T phone, my SkypeIn number, and whatever local number I'm using. No one that needs to call me ever needs to worry about what my phone number is this week. Even better, voice mail on Google voice is available both as audio (on the phone and on-line) and as voice-to-text in an e-mail.

If I'm only going to be in a country for a couple of days I use my US AT&T phone and let everything roll to voice mail. When I have Internet I check messages and return what makes sense. Lots of people get e-mail messages in response to voice mail.
rockDAWG likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-12-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

dawg, if you want to give people just one phone number that can always reach you, try a Google Voice number. Free, US area codes, and as you hit port and buy a new SIM card you can also log into the GVoice account on the internet and change the number(s) it forwards to.

A caller just calls into GVoice, that's all they need to know. YOu can set up the rules for who gets forwarded, when they get forwarded, how many numbers they get forwarded to...very versatile. Yes, you will pay something for the international forwarding, but at VOIP rates it isn't much. And for the folks you don't want to pay for, you can always just put your new direct number on the voicemail message. ""Leave a message or call me at".

You can also pick up the voicemail over the web, or have it forwarded to your phone by text messaging. The "transcription" from voice to text sometimes is bafflingly hilarious.
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 04-12-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Excellent Gentlemen, sound likes an viable alternatives. I will implement this in for my travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The "transcription" from voice to text sometimes is bafflingly hilarious.
You meant the people with an accent. LOL.

Fine Print:
Old 04-12-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

No, even if you have Tom-Brokaw-air-controller perfect enunciation, the Google transcription can go wildly wrong. I think it is another one of those "We've got a great idea!" projects that they haven't done any work on in years. The "Tell Me" vr system from the mid to late 90's did better.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.