Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

Yes, it happens... more than once...

1.- Finger caught between chain and windlass as I accidentally stepped on the activation button... Minor "crush", fortunately no major damaged;
2.- Slipped and fell in cockpit while washing the cockpit (slippery). Turned completely around and hit head on coaming... Minor concussion...
3.- Slipped, fell and scraped leg on protruding bolt of cockpit bimini post (which should have been covered up). Deep scratch/cut that bled profusely and needed stitches at hospital. Still blood stains on dock, two years later...

I will omit minor scratches and hope that I can limit the injuries to those already suffered! Just as there is defensive driving, I try to practice "defensive sailing", but we do make mistakes!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Jon-

I hear you on the deck-mounted windlass switches. I was helping Estar dock Hawk when I stepped on the "retrieve" switch. Scared the crap out of me, and I was glad that I didn't step on the "deploy" switch, and end up dropping his anchor next to the dock.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-11-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

Nothing major for me, but at work we frequently get called out to meet an inbound boat with some kind of injury aboard. The one that sticks in my mind: the skipper of a 40+ foot sloop got his hand wrapped around a winch, as someone else here described. It was a pedestal driven winch, and he lost 2 fingers before the grinder realized and stopped.
Old 04-11-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Great thread, great war stories too!

Working in boatyards there are always cuts, bumps and close calls. Most have been through not being focused on the task at hand. Years back was running spar section through electric pipe saw and somehow right index finger got into the game. Lost the cushion down to the bone. Now I have a hooked nail that allows me to pick up lots of tiny objects.

Club racing aboard 40 footer and 6 year old crew fell off 30 footer nearby. Kids father jumped in. We were closest so our skipper manuvered for rescue. Meanwhile skipper on the 30 came about, leaving dad and son at risk between 2 rescuing boats. Boats were too close, it was hairy for sure & I can still see dad's panicked look while he was turning blue in the Lake Ontario in early June. We had the kid on the low side so I scooped him by the lifejacket loop and dragged him aboard. Only one chance to get it right, if our skipper had missed the connection, if the other boat didn't fall off . . . Kid is now grown up and dad is a grandfather, neither one of them is sailing.
Old 04-11-2013

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

I've never been hurt too badly yet (knock on wood). The worst incident I've witnessed so far was an accidental gybe while club racing this winter on another member's boat. We were in "B" fleet, which starts 5 minutes after the "A" fleet on a WLWL course. On the downwind leg, we were running dead downwind with an "A" fleet boat on a beat closing in about 11:00 off the bow. We thought we were clear, but they got knocked a bit while were weren't looking and the skipper had to veer to starboard a bit.

That small heading adjustment combined with an unfortunate wind shift (very common on our lake) and this was the result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYwyUeX2Us That's not me, I am just forward of the unfortunate crew member on the rail. He is usually the foredeck guy, but we decided not to fly the chute that race for technical reasons. He was a little loopy for a bit but came out fine.
Old 04-11-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

We were anchored up in small cove, about 10:00PM crunched a piece of ice in my cocktail & busted a molar. F_)()*()(*&&)( hurt so bad I couldn't even see straight. Glad I had a power boat with twin 270 hp crusaders in it.
Old 04-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Not while sailing, no, I haven't and I have been sailing off and on for 40 years. I am very alert and conscious on the boat and I plan ahead every move I make. I try not to rush to do anything. I hope I am never seriously injured on a boat. It is a bad place to need immediate help.
Old 04-11-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I've drawn a lot of blood, but havent broken anything yet. Closest I've come so far was falling face forward into the cockpit when a cushion slipped and turned my ankle. So now I resist cockpit cushions. I always wear gloves, except when I forget to. I also tell anyone on my boat "do not try to hold the line of a wind loaded sail, you will injur yourself." And, never put yourself between a moving boat and another object, you will injur yourself. And, never put your foot under a line like a spring line, step on it, not under it. I think this is important for novices when boarding and disembarking.
Old 04-11-2013

SolSailor is on a distinguished road

I had quite a few incidents last summer... first one thing broke and then another... before I knew it, my wallet was on life support and I was nearing the brink of signing a DNR (do not resuscitate) order. Good think there was some life support in the form a few beautiful sunsets, those perfect sailing days in 15kts of wind, and wonderful family moments.
Old 04-11-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Last year I was taking several medications. They were not agreeing with me, and most likely were fighting with each other. So, one day while stepping on the boat one fine Saturday morning, I woke up down on the cabin floor. No idea what happened. With the one foot on the rail, I must have passed out. During the fall I tore the swing stove out of the wall and found my head mere inches away from smashing into a bulkhead cabinet. That might have killed me. Lucky there.

I got off the meds that day, which wasn't fun.