Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

first time --age 7,, learned on a gaff-rigged sloop what BOOM! means...first ever concussion....lol
and on it goes until i broke my back in 2008 on the step between main saloon in a formosa 41 and dinette galley area-my feet slid out from under and ouch i went....
and minor stuff in between and always.; if you dont hurt self on a boat you aint gonna appreciate the boat for the fun you have later...is part of the b,s,and t one gives with ownership--call em boat bites. too many to count.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I say that trailerable boats are usually more painful! Occasionally that crazy Poseidon likes to collect more than winch handles, he wants blood!

Boom smacks - lumps (accidental jibes are part of shifty inland lake winds, you get good at avoiding them).
Rope burns (gloves help - usually).
trips... yep.
smashed fingers - yep.
Fortunately haven't had to be hospitalized for any of them. That's always scary when you are sailing solo.

Others are right as well... Much of the injury happens while anchored or docking. IN trailerables it's also when launching and retrieving. Lots of BAD things can happen when you get trucks, water, trailers and boats, together, they conspire to kill you!

Add a steep ramp, and finicky deep fin keel, super cold water (October), and an attempt at self-retrieval and you have the makings for ALL kinds of fun (not that I have any PERSONAL experience in this department)... 2 hours knee to chest deep in 55 degree water, struggling to get a boat to align on it's trailer is NO fun at all.

By the way, hypothermia ain't fun either.
Old 04-11-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
call em boat bites. too many to count.
Exactly, I should change the name of my boat to ' Jaws '
zeehag likes this.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-11-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

OUCH!!!! i actually destroyed one knee in my sleep here in zihuatenejo when swells were 2 meters in the bay and in my sleep i tried to remain stable in my bed....LOL..this is a tough life...
but someone has to do it--might a swell be me.....LOL

what is a lil pain in pair a dice, anyway....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-11-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I cant say I was never hurt while sailing BUT myself and friends worst stuff all happened at the dock or mooring involving slip and falls while boarding

The worst thing that ever happened to me was stumbling backwards while on the mooring and trying to avoid going overboard

It would have been much better to get wet as somehow I managed to snag a leg on a lifeline and stay onboard

About the worst bruise I ever got and kind of a miracle I did not break my leg in some horrible manner

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-11-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Nothing super serious while sailing, small things one hopefully learns from to prevent bigger things from happening. though was off ship at a friends house the other night and cracked a rib, have been reflecting on how difficult this would be to manage if I where out at sea, interesting timing with this thread. Seems a bit more perception and awareness is worth its weight in prevention or something like that..

cheers
Old 04-11-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

I'd be interested in hearing some common sense safety for windlass operations because I'm not equipped with one, and my windlass safety knowledge is limited. Anyone?
While single-handing I had a run in with a windlass. It was one those in which the the chain free-wheeled on the way down, I was easing off on the clutch when it loosened up faster than I thought. The chain flipped up and caught part of tip of my left thumb, taking out a fair chunk. My thought was to get anchored and then deal with my finger. There were no other boats around - one of my favourite anchorages.

I still have a small scar that I use as a teaching aid.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-11-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Described elsewhere on SN getting my hand caught between a rub rail and large tire and dock in South Africa in January. The recovery has been three months so far and I am guessing two more to come. Also cost us a year of sailing as we will likely leave SA in December rather than in January past. Without the injury would be in the Caribbean now rather than Toronto where spring most definitely has not sprung.
Old 04-11-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Never injured while sailing but you can trace the evolution of all my boat projects by following the blood stains in the bilge and storage areas. Friends from work can always tell on Mondays what I have been up to over the weekend by seeing how many bandages I am sporting. Not sure what that is all about but it needs to stop soon.
Old 04-11-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Three years ago I descended the companionway ladder of my new-to-me boat during a rainstorm (while in the slip). The fiberglass steps had very lightly textured treads, and everything was wet from the rain. My heel slipped off a step and I fell and got a black bruise on my butt. There was a numbness there that lasted over a year. My broker had fallen in a similar fashion when I bought the boat a few weeks before, but I did not realize that this was why. I immediately put black non-skid tape along the edges of each step, and the problem has not recurred.

I also once got my finger caught between a spring line and cleat as the boat was backing into the slip. I just missed the timing putting the loop on the cleat, and didn't have time to get my finger out. I opted not to risk ripping skin by pulling my finger out, and just went ahead and let my finger get squeezed. I got a red blood blister that disappeared in a couple weeks. Fortunately my boat is only 4500 lbs. or the finger would have been badly crushed. I modified the spring line to have a lazy end that goes beyond the bowline loop. If I miss the timing and there's a chance the loop could catch my finger, I let the loop go and instead wrap the lazy end around the cleat (or adjacent winch) until the boat stops and recoils, after which I'll have time and slack line to put the loop over the cleat.

I believe that every incident like this needs to be diagnosed and responded to with improvements that prevent a recurrence.
bristol299bob likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)