Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me. - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

While single-handing across Indian Ocean about 600nm south of Sri Lanka in about 25 knots but a big swell running, I gybed the boat and as the head-sail filled the boat fell off a wave and the combination slammed me hard into the wheel - broke 2 ribs. That makes for difficult sailing especially when you're alone. I was at sea for another two weeks before I got a break.

Two years ago, I got my hand caught in an out-of-control windlass that was reeling the chain in and fed my hand into the gypsy. Little finger was severed, finger next to it badly lacerated and the remains of the severed finger was pulled off the palm which split the flesh all around the finger,

Luckily I was able to get to a good hand surgeon within 24 hours and they re-attached the severed finger. It has no feeling and nail doesn't look great but the surgeon did a brilliant job and it is actually very hard to see where the join is. But I have pictures of the severed finger to show any non-believers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post

I was on a boat that had the traveler across the companionway. We were out in 15-20 knts, 2-3 ft high frequency chop (typical of the Neuse river). I was on the windward side, kneeling on the cockpit seat. I was focused on the main, considering trim changes. Just then the helmsman accidentally gybed.

I always think of the boom as the killer in an accidental gybe. Back then it ok didnt occur to me that along with the boom the main sheet also sweeps a portion of the cockpit (on some boats).

When the mainsheet swung over it caught me in the back. It tightened with a *snap*, and the force threw me against the cabin top. I was bloodied, punctured my lip, and sore. I looked (and was) pretty beat up.

I am (and was) grateful, it could have gone so much worse.
This just happened to my 1st mate as we were coming across the Neuse, she stuck her head out just as I was gybing. The main sheet caused a small gash on her temple creating a blood trail from the companion way to the head.

My only real injury was being hit by lightning last summer.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 04-12-2013

Rick486 is on a distinguished road

Good topic. What I do in order to try to avoid injury around the boat, heavily loaded lines, hot engines, bilge crawling, etc. is to carefully think through every evolution before attempting it, step by step, and order the process in my mind. Then I never try to rush anything. Just take my time. I scared myself once when we were anchored in about 25 kts and I went forward to ease out more rode and I stupidly ended up with the rode in my hand, off the cleat!! I really couldn't get it back on the cleat without help. Whew! That was a close call. After that I began the process described above. My advice is always think it through before attempting the task. This includes silly things like being sure all the needed tools are within easy reach when working on the engine, for instance.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 04-12-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Oh, and talk about injuries sailing... Have you seen the SA post? 2 broken legs, when he slipped between these boats racing... OUCH! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYwyUeX2Us
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 04-12-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Once as we were heading into an anchorage on the Chessy after a day fighing the chop, I foolishly went to the mast (barefoot) to lower the main. It was pretty choppy and with little way on the boat was bobbing around pretty vigorously. Still all was going fine until I noticed my toes were above the horizon and pirouetting to port. I landed full lenght on my left side which hurt so bad it momentarily immobilized me. Fortunately I wedged between the cabin top and shrouds rather than testing the lifelines. The hit took the wind out of me so bad all I could do was yell to my wife that I was OK and to just stay at the helm. It was probably a minute or more before the pain subsided enough for me to extricate myself and get the sail down so we could get in the anchorage where I could consider how stupid it was leaving the cockpit with no footware and how lucky I was I didn't break anything or end up stunned and overboard.
Old 04-12-2013

akavishon is on a distinguished road

Every spring, at the start of each season, my boat "beats me up" pretty badly .... there's plenty of blood, skin, tears and cursing. I like to imagine that she missed me and is punishing me for neglecting her through the winter

Anyhow, few years ago I was anchored in Great Salt Pond, Block Island (RI), some 3/4 nm away from the dighy dock. I had some weekend guests aboard, they were planning to catch a ferry back to the mainland on Sun pm, so we all hopped in my inflatable dinghy and I dropped them off at the dinghy dock.

As I was maneuvering around the dock I managed to flip my dinghy over my head (I'm not telling how ... outboard died instantly, me and my backpack went swimming (think laptop, phone, camera, vhf etc). I managed to right the dinghy and collect my stuff, then rowed back the 3/4 nm - against the wind/chop - to my boat. Only then I realized that my arm was hanging a bit limp, and I was unable to lift it over my head ... must have fractured my shoulder cap (still makes noises and occasionally hurts, years after).

I spent 3 days swinging around the anchor, literally just eating and sleeping, until my shoulder recovered enough so I was able to weigh my 35lb cqr with no windlass and singlehand back to Boston.

Last edited by akavishon; 04-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If I don't bleed while working on a project it's not done yet.
Old 04-12-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

if I don't bleed on a project I haven't started it yet :-)
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 04-12-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
if I don't bleed on a project I haven't started it yet :-)
Yeah, we kinda' have a similar tradition on Palmetto Moon. Its not a trip or a job completed until someone bleeds a bit.

The Sailing Gods demand blood sacrifice.
bristol299bob likes this.
Old 04-12-2013

sweetsailing is on a distinguished road

Yup, most accidents happen at the dock. A couple of years ago, I fell down the companionway stairs, fractured my shoulder blade. I violated the rule of one hand for me and one hand for the boat. My mistake was trying to negoitate the stairs in the dark with both hands full. Missed the first step and tumbled down without hitting the rest of the steps, so fell about 4 feet. Landed with my arm on the galley counter with the rest of me in a pile on the floor. Ouch!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.