Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me. - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

With respect to stairs, how many go up and down the companionway stairs facing the stairs?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

I do, while hanging on to both sides of the cabin.
jackdale likes this.
Old 04-12-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Windlass, that is my biggest fear on a sailboat, ouch. I tell everyone that's around the windlass that the only tool more dangerous than a windlass is a chainsaw. And the resulting injury's are nearly the same. A windlass deserves much much respect! I sincerely hope your recovery is complete. Very sorry this happened you, darn it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
While single-handing across Indian Ocean about 600nm south of Sri Lanka in about 25 knots but a big swell running, I gybed the boat and as the head-sail filled the boat fell off a wave and the combination slammed me hard into the wheel - broke 2 ribs. That makes for difficult sailing especially when you're alone. I was at sea for another two weeks before I got a break.

Two years ago, I got my hand caught in an out-of-control windlass that was reeling the chain in and fed my hand into the gypsy. Little finger was severed, finger next to it badly lacerated and the remains of the severed finger was pulled off the palm which split the flesh all around the finger,

Luckily I was able to get to a good hand surgeon within 24 hours and they re-attached the severed finger. It has no feeling and nail doesn't look great but the surgeon did a brilliant job and it is actually very hard to see where the join is. But I have pictures of the severed finger to show any non-believers
Old 04-12-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I am now always careful to step from the dock to the boat rather than making a hurried jump. Always landed on the boat however, one time I twisted my ankle. Thought it was no big deal and continued to leave the dock and spent several nights on the hook all the time the ankle was about twice its normal size. Hobbled around the boat and when we got back to the dock decided to go to the doctor. It was not broken, but was told that if it had broken it would heal faster than being severly sprained. Sure enough I could not put any weight on it and was on cruches for at least 6 weeks.
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I've lost flesh to a friend's windlass.. manual and freewheeling. Scary things, those....

On our own boat when it was relatively new to us I stepped onto the cockpit seat from the deck - the seats on this boat are much more rounded than our previous, and I got too close the edge and my foot slipped off - fell sideways and landed on top of a winch on my side just under the armpit.. pretty sure I cracked a couple of ribs. Painful for some time but was actually still able to hand bomb the anchor, surprisingly.. it was all I could to to lift a full beer for a couple of days. Different muscles, I guess.

Still manage to bleed on deck every once in a while, half the time I've no idea why/when that happened...

The worst, though, was in a rolly anchorage in Barbuda and I was making the morning pot of coffee... managed to dump the freshly filled coffee filter over my hand. Second day down there too.. massive blistering and had to keep that hand out of the water pretty much the remaining time of the trip.
kellysails likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'm not a big fan of the modern trend of mounting the windlass in a locker below deck level. I find many of them can be very awkward to reach if need be, which could contribute to a potential injury, especially in the event you're attempting to apply some leverage to free a jam, or whatever...

And, I long ago came to detest deck-mounted foot switches for windlasses. I'm amazed builders/owners continue to go that route... They live in an incredibly tough environment, are often poorly designed/cheaply made, and few things on a boat are more prone to failure or malfunction (of which sticking in an 'ON' position is the most hazardous, of course)... In addition, it's very easy to forget to turn the windlass breaker off when finished, so the possibility of accidentally activating a windlass is very real... I think a FAR better solution, is to use a hand-held corded remote control run from a plug inside the boat, out through a hatch or port... I don't like the idea of a wireless remote for this application, I'd suggest a hard-wired remote, instead...

Another modern trend on the rise which I think is a very poor practice, is the operation of a windlass using a remote mounted at the helm... You always need to be WATCHING your windlass in operation, in order to be able to anticipate a jam, or whatever... Leave that sort of lazy deployment and retrieval of your anchor from the cockpit to the Sea-Ray drivers... (grin)
All great advice! We have a remote switch in the cockpit but never ever use it. Someone mans the hand held corded remote from the bow.
Old 04-12-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
With respect to stairs, how many go up and down the companionway stairs facing the stairs?
Depends on the size of the boat. If it's deep, I do face the stairs. If it's a small Folkboat or similar with crouching headroom, I don't. I mean, in that case, my head is still up on deck when my feet is firmly planted on sole.
Old 04-12-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

My little boat has no windlass. I've chartered two boats with electric windlass, and they scare the crap out of me. After reading this thread I realize that my fear of them is not irrational.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-12-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
When I had a 27 Catalina I climbed to the cabin top to remove the ties from the main. I was so intent on doing this in a timely manner that I completely forgot I had not closed the hatch. I dropped through the hatch, fell 7 feet, hit the side of the salon bunk, broke two ribs, then motored back to the marina. My wife drove me to the emergency room, they took some X-rays, sent me home and told me to take it easy for a while. Needed some heavy medications for this one, though. The pain was pretty intense the following days.

Gary
I did essentially the same thing, only I stepped in our hatch over the head - too small for me to go through. Just one leg went in. Caused serious bruising.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-12-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

Getting in or out of a dinghy can be involved with alot of accidents.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.