Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me. - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algee View Post
Getting in or out of a dinghy can be involved with alot of accidents.
kellysails and carl762 like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013
C270 / FS 966

splastiko is on a distinguished road

I seem to find all the sharp edges of my Flying Scot when racing.
Old 04-12-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

While on a BVI charter my wife got her thumb caught between a hard dinghy and the transom as a wave pushed the dinghy into her thumb, the pain was soo bad that she passed out a few minutes latter. She had to spend the rest of the charter trip walking around with her thumb up like Fonzie. She took a lot of ribbing from everyone on the charter trip. HEY Fonz
Old 04-12-2013

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

I own an older Macgregor 25 with a drop down keel.... the winch never had a brake which I thought was a bad design... (but normal)... So sailing off of South beach on Savory Island when it was time to lower the keel I turned head to the wind and tied the rudder... went below and untied the winch handle... either a boat wake or a wind shift moved the bow off the wind ...boat layed over hard pulling the winch handle out of my hand...handle started to spin really fast...a whole lot of iron headed for the fiberglass bottom... I know it is going to hurt but the handle has to be stopped... four smacks to the hand and I got it under control...One of the hits tried to take the end off of my middle finger...finish lowering the keel and back up to resume sailing ...untie the rudder and ajust the sail...then dip my hand in the water and wrap with a towel...by then the cockpit looked like a murder scene...sail back to lund ...tie up...drive to Powell River and get stiches...still a little sensitive to cold...The keel winch now has a gear winch...stop turning ...the winch stops...

Any storm in a port...
Old 04-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I've drilled holes in my fingers, hand, arm and legs. Broken a finger in a electric winch. Cuts and scrapes I don't count anymore (I can literally see 8 scabs on my hands as I type this and it's only early April).
We won't even talk about strained muscles and Monday mornings and certainly not about banging heads, knees and toes on various hard things.

My wife just sprained her ankle 3 weeks ago.

Funny, never had a guest injure themselves, ever.
Old 04-13-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

A cockpit injury

I stepped on a cockpit cushion which slipped. I landed chest first on the binnacle, injuring a couple of ribs. This occurred at the dock.

I have banned cockpit cushions.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-13-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Sailing with ONE HAND. While I thought this video was a novelty at first, I realized that it has some real practical application. It would REALLY teach you the "one hand for the ship" rule, and it would help you figure out how to better set up your boat. Clearly it would also be good for the single handers to practice in case of injury.

Newport, glad you're okay!

MedSailor
bristol299bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A cockpit injury

I stepped on a cockpit cushion which slipped. I landed chest first on the binnacle, injuring a couple of ribs. This occurred at the dock.

I have banned cockpit cushions.
Good idea, I imagine cockpit cushions have contributed to a LOT of slips and falls...

Another REALLY bad idea, is the varnishing/Cetol-ing of the broad horizontal teak surfaces one sees on many cockpit coamings... Bare teak is one of the best non-skid surfaces there is, why anyone would finish a surface in such a critical location boggles the mind...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post

That small heading adjustment combined with an unfortunate wind shift (very common on our lake) and this was the result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYwyUeX2Us That's not me, I am just forward of the unfortunate crew member on the rail. He is usually the foredeck guy, but we decided not to fly the chute that race for technical reasons. He was a little loopy for a bit but came out fine.
The sound of that Is sickening! Seems it was the hollow part of the boom that caught him. Glad he is O.K.!

Helmets make some sense! At least when racing. Remember when no one skiing wore one? A toque was all we thought we needed.

Down
Old 04-13-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I once stepped on a sloped fiberglass deck that was soaped up while washing it. Thought that my non-skid boots would do the trick. My legs FLEW out from under me and I thought I'd ruined my back. Turned out to just be sore for a day.

By far though, the most harrowing sailing injury of my career is the carpal tunnel syndrome I have sustained while posting on SailNet in the winter. Man, sailing can be brutal!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.