Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me. - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

As I climbed aboard at the mooring I realized I had not tied the Avon to the boat. It was slowly drifting away and I decided I could still jump back into it and save myself a bit of work involving a hike from the town dock. Wearing Tevas I launched myself, prepared to absorb the landing with my 60+ year old knees and arrived squarely in the middle of the plywood floor. The knees were fine. I had not thought through how far it was to land flat footed on a sheet of plywood sitting on a non compressible fluid. It may as well have been concrete! The concern that flashed through my mind during my "flight" was that I would go through the floor. That would have been more comfortable. The soles of my feet were bruised for what seemed like weeks! I won't be doing that again.

Down
lancelot9898 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Aside from the usual small cuts and bruises, and one bout with blood poisoning from being punctured by a rusty bilge nail, I have not been hurt seriously on a boat. (knocking on wood) I've had commercial fishing boats, sailboats, and various stinkpots over the course of 40+ years. Probably the scariest and potentially lethal situation occurred just a couple of years ago. While below on a moderately rough day I lost handhold and was literally thrown port to starboard in a second, barely missing the deck overhang with my head. I'm convinced that if I were 2" higher, I would have fractured my friggin skull. Made me seriously consider putting on a helmet when it's bouncy. I now keep my whitewater helmet on the boat and think it's a good idea to wear one when the going gets rough.
downeast450 and One like this.
Old 04-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I now keep my whitewater helmet on the boat and think it's a good idea to wear one when the going gets rough.

A good plan!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook