Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

mmazour is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailboat question

Find this book short sweet lot's of pictures with simple explanations.
Old 04-12-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
Also someone who wears a life jacket while underway is not a sissy. The smartest thing you can do is require everyone on board to wear one exspecially since your new to it.
This is really good advice, especially the first part. I am a pretty good sailor and an excellent swimmer, but I wear my auto-inflate most of the time, and always when single handing. And I always put it on before leaving the dock, and don't take it off until I am tied up again. This is a deal I made with myself and with my wife. Just as most car accidents happen while close to home, I imagine most boating accidents happen in that overly familiar/comfortable time close to home base. You'd feel really stupid drowning right beside your dock. For the second part, grownup passengers can make up their own minds, but ethically it would be good to strongly suggest wearing a jacket. With kids there simply is no discussion.
Old 04-12-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Welcome and congrats!!!
Screw the books, reading takes time. Youtube will have all you need to get familiar and then as has been said find and experienced pal and go sailing. Learning is over-rated, doing is much more fun
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA98272 View Post
I just bought a Cal29 and I'm m completely new to sailing and have a question. What is the difference between what a sheet does and what a traveller does?
the first thing is to have a beer....

Next, know that one transmits a load while the other controls the direction of strain.

...then have another beer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
the first thing is to have a beer....

Next, know that one transmits a load while the other controls the direction of strain.

...then have another beer.
Your posts tonight mostly refer to beer. I see a trend here.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-14-2013

BillA98272 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies, its still clear as Mud a little. I think some time under sail will clear it all up. I have a guy I work with that is going to help me get my sea legs under me. He has been sailing all his adult life and bought an Island Packet in San Fran and Sailed it to Seattle and Lives on it.

I do own a 21 foot power boat and have bombed around Admirilty Inlet and the San Juans so I'm not new to weather, VHF, CHarts, Etc... The Sailing part is new to me.

I bought the boat a Month ago and have also purchased a Complete Atomic 4 in parts in crates. I just got the engine back from machine shop and had a complete Valve grind done. I bought the engine and it had already been line honed, cyl honed, crank Polished, new Cam bearing and Cam. It also came with new motor mounts. I need to pull the old engine and clean and paint engine compartment. I cant remember the condition of old motor mounts, I will likely measure and record old mount positions then install new mounts and match the height and install new motor. I also need to add fresh water cooling setup to the new motor once it is in. I'm planning on using the new gortex style stuffing box seals. Not sure it I like the idea of a rubber boot the only thing between me and a ton of water quickly in the bilge.

Soon as the Weather breaks here in Everett WA, Bottom Paint and Engine install. And time to get her wet again since 2008
Old 04-14-2013

BillA98272 is on a distinguished road

Oh also the P.O. supplied me with a Ton of Books too... And I have been renting Sailing DVDs on NetFlix... Annapolis Book of seamanship Vol 1. has been about the best so far. Another one was this Lady from Austrailia or NZ... Basic Sailing something like that... pretty good for starters.