Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
How many people do you have on board? if only one or two, a sock is best and easiest. If you have 3+, then you raise the jib, pull down behind the jib letting the halyard down as you might a sym spin. Yeah we will let the tack lose, but not a lot! most is down by letting the halyard down using the jib/genoa as a blanket. I think Ihave some pics somewhere. Altho I am thinking it might be dousing with out the jib......hmmmmm.....need to find them pics dodenja took at the end of a race with my kids/crew sailing the boat. I was rc in the major regatta we do........

I also agree, that an actual tack line attached forward of the forestay makes things MUCH easier. THen run that line to the cockpit.

Marty
Usually two up

Outside the jib drop seems overboard no? I'm short handed and not racing, don't have enough hands I think...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Peter.. I think it's true that 'tacking' the tack to the forestay makes the sail more stable and is esp good when beam reaching. Jack's shackle idea is a good one, allowing you to blow the tack despite having the tack line attached/hanked to the forestay but it does require a crew to go forward to open the shackle - that may not fit into your scenario.

As I've said we do not attach the tack to the forestay and have been able to make good use of that sail, I do think you need to pay more attention to tack line tension, however, and ultimately it probably limits just how close to the wind we can get with it. But by then you're probably better off with a jib/genny anyhow.

Anyhow you might give it a try, make sure your tack line is long enough to get the foot of the sail back into the cockpit and simply stuff cloth down the companionway as you douse. We try to follow the same method we use for the Symm. i.e., blow the tack, gather the foot and lower the sail in the lee of the main under the boom in a 'tube', so to speak.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-12-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
If you run the tack line thruough A block you can release the tack line It is close to blowing the guy.
Ditto +1

Last edited by RichH; 04-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

What is a "guy" in the context of a aysm/cruising chute? There is only a halyard, a tack line and the sheets on an asym.

I'm only aware of the term "guy" as the lines that control the pole on a symmetrical spin set up.
Old 04-12-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
What is a "guy" in the context of a aysm/cruising chute? There is only a halyard, a tack line and the sheets on an asym.

I'm only aware of the term "guy" as the lines that control the pole on a symmetrical spin set up.
They were making a comparison to blowing the guy with a symmetrical.
Old 04-13-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Could u explain this a little more? What splice loop are u referring to and how do u release the snap shackle without having to go forward to the bow?
Peter

The a snap shackle is spliced into the tack line. The hank can be attached to the loop formed by the the splice or to the ring on the snap shackle.

I like my tack line led back to to cockpit. The best I have seen had a 2:1 purchase.

Remember that the gennaker is a light air sail; there should be no concerns about going forward. My rule for dousing a gennaker is the same as rule for reefing: when you think about it.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The tack line led back to the cockpit can be 1-1 or have a small purchase as Jack mentioned, ie 2-1,......Altho I think I have him beat, 1-1 with a 15-1 winch on the back end! makes tightening REALLY simple!

A sock for 2 folks is probably the easiest way to douse and set the AS frankly. One can douse it with two, using a jib to blanket the AS. I have to admit, the sock is easier for the most part.

Marty
Old 04-13-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

You are a cruiser right, then the answer comes in three words.

GET A SOCK!
jackdale likes this.
Old 04-14-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Well I had the kite up in 15 knots yesterday, tried it first without attaching the tack to the forestay but that didn't work well it was pretty unstable. The way I doused was the helmsman went ddw, collapsing the kite, then I unclipped from the forestay, helm blew the sheets and i blew the halyard at the mast, and I just collected it on the deck. It's actually much smaller than a symmetrical I think so I think I can get away with take downs this way on a small boat like mine at least.

Of course, after 6 flawless jibes and jinxing us by mentioning how easy theywere, I messed one up and ripped about 3 feet of the bottom panel lol
Old 04-14-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Though I had used a squeezer many times, when I bought my new boat I was still accustomed to launching from a bag. Fast and simple. However, with my new boat the chute is too large to fit in the forward hatch when bagged and there is no connection between the sail locker and the cabin (which is a pain anyway). However, using the squeezer as a bag it's easy to lower the sail into the hatch. So I use the squeezer.

Blanketing with the main has always worked.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.