Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?

Ripped the spin a couple oftime......altho yesterday the fitting that holds the sheave to the foredeck broke in 15-20 knots of wind at the start of the down wind. That were interesting getting it down with it out of control like that. Oh well, blinken $3 part is inthe tool box, so fix that and be off for another day! Still hit int he upper 8 knot range wing on wing with a 140 genoa up. Probably could have gottne another 1/4 -1/2 knot speed ea out of the 155 or the spin, so mid 9's for speed! not bad for a 6.6khull speed sb!

Good day on the water.

Marty
Old 04-14-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Well I had the kite up in 15 knots yesterday, tried it first without attaching the tack to the forestay but that didn't work well it was pretty unstable. The way I doused was the helmsman went ddw, collapsing the kite, then I unclipped from the forestay, helm blew the sheets and i blew the halyard at the mast, and I just collected it on the deck. It's actually much smaller than a symmetrical I think so I think I can get away with take downs this way on a small boat like mine at least.

Of course, after 6 flawless jibes and jinxing us by mentioning how easy theywere, I messed one up and ripped about 3 feet of the bottom panel lol
You definitely want to be careful if you are blowing both the tack and the sheet, because if it gets away on you while dousing you have a large flag streaming from your masthead with no way to get hold of it!

If it is windy I go to the bow, and blow the tack shackle. The sail will then stream harmlessly to leeward with no chance of re-filling. I then use the lazy sheet to pull the clew to me, and gather up the foot. Once I have the foot gathered in my wife eases the halyard, and I either feed the sail down the hatch, or just stuff it straight back into the bag on deck.

If the breeze is lighter, I don't bother blowing the tack shackle, and instead I just have it eased while I gather the foot. The tack line is long enough to reach all the way back to the cockpit.

I am curious how you managed to rip your chute on a gybe. Did it get snagged on something, or did you wrap the forestay?
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I found the fork on this thread that talked about pinning the tack to the forestay interesting. I've been wondering about this practice recently. We've always done it on the Catalina 25 (which has hank-on sails) and have tried doing it on the Pearson used parrel beads.

The problem with the beads is that they trap the lazy sheet and if the wind gets light they'll also roll over and trap the tack line. How do others handle this? Does the ATN Tacker do a better job?

I've tried running it free, theorizing that this is how it would be if the sail were on a bowsprit. However I've also found that it is less stable especially if approaching a beam reach. With the tack locked to the headstay the boat will sail on a beam pretty nicely in light air, but it will make a lot of leeway from the amount of lift on the sail.

Both boats have North Sails Direct cruising gennakers.
Old 04-15-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The problem with the beads is that they trap the lazy sheet and if the wind gets light they'll also roll over and trap the tack line. How do others handle this? Does the ATN Tacker do a better job?
I have not used parrel beads. I do like the Tacker.

After the sail is furled I run the sheets down the sail to the deck. Occasionally I will lightly tie them off. The tacker will move and down easily with the sheets inside.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-15-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Does it ever trap the lazy sheet on the spinnaker? Are you doing inside or outside jybes?
Old 04-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have not used parrel beads. I do like the Tacker.

After the sail is furled I run the sheets down the sail to the deck. Occasionally I will lightly tie them off. The tacker will move and down easily with the sheets inside.
I have used both. As for the jib sheets, use a strip of Velcro One-Wrap to fix them to the bottom of the furled jib. Usually a single wrap is all that is needed. With beads or a tacker, affix one end to the other around the head sail with a snap shackle with a second snap shackle snapped to the tack of the sail where a second snap shackle from the tack line is also connected. To "blow the tack" simply pop the snap shackle from the Tacker/Beads to the sail and let the tack, line run. The tack is freed but not out of control/reach. In our case we use a dousing sock with the up/down haul line led through a smaller snatch block on the foredeck. With that one can maintain tension on the down haul line as the sock is raised to afford a controlled release of the sail (and keep the lines orderly) and when it's time to douse, pulling "up" on the down haul line allows one to apply more force to the down haul line than just ones weight, if necessary, and, again, keeps the lines orderly. The only caveat is that if one is on the opposite gybe from the launch, one must free the snatch block and pass it around the head stay before dousing.

FWIW...
jackdale likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-15-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I've used a tacker, have not for a couple of years, been using a spin pole in place of. BUT, I usually have a race crew of 3-5 on board the boat to set this up. THis actually works better than a tacker IMHO. Especially if you want some serious dead down wind runs. Pull the tack to the opposite side of the main, that whole BIG side of the AS is now showing full bore to the wind. WOrks pretty well, THis can be set up with two, probably putting up like one would an SS......

Marty
Old 04-15-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

No one asks what kind/size of boat? How big is the chute?

Peter, from your other posts you claim it's a small boat, how small? Usually you can get away with blowing the tack to unload the chute, pull on the lazy sheet while on the foredeck, and stuff it below while someone blows the first 30% of the halyard, then eases the rest down. On other small (and big boats) more people are using takedown lines or foot lines to help drop the kite.

TP52s, Farr 400s, MC38, Colgate 26, and a number of sportboats like this approach b/c it keeps people off the foredeck. Will require some mods, but when they work, it's beautiful.
Old 04-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Does it ever trap the lazy sheet on the spinnaker? Are you doing inside or outside jybes?
It does occasionally trap the lazy sheet. With a spin halyard I do outside gybes, which means that I have to ensure that the lazy sheet ends up on the pulpit, rather than under the boat or trapped. Of the two alternatives, trapped is better.
Old 04-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The only caveat is that if one is on the opposite gybe from the launch, one must free the snatch block and pass it around the head stay before dousing.

FWIW...
Not sure I understand that. If I am dousing on the opposite tack I need to remember to pass the dousing line around the forestay.