Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?

We haven't tried using the pole on the Asymm yet.. makes some sense as a way to improve the deeper angles - and if you're on a long reach/run then the complications of gybing don't really come into play. For max projection, though, you'll need a spinn pole track that goes fairly low on the mast. A penalty (or near penalty) pole will help too.

A couple of fellow boaters have opted for a deck mounted sprit - sort of like a reaching strut clipped to a deck padeye and fixed at the headstay somehow. Since we carry both we'll generally use the Symm if we expect to need to gybe, and the Asymm for what ought to be a long reaching leg... covers things quite well for us.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-15-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

When using the deck mounted sprit do they always keep the tack of the sail low to the sprit (more like a code zero)? Our gennakers seem to like to fly a little higher.

I have to add a spinnaker track to my mast to use this pole anyway. We may experiment first on the Catalina 25 which already has an eye for a spinnaker pole and is a little easier to make rigging changes on. The pole is 18" too long on that boat, but we don't do PHRF racing on it (yet) anyway.
Old 04-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Your chute looks good, and if you are on a long reaching leg that setup is great. Where the conventional pole setup fails is in situations where you need to gybe. That is when it becomes a royal PITA! Sure it can be done, but it is less than ideal. If you are going to run the pole you might as well fly a symetrical kite.
Yup, but I'm almost always flying a chute in open waters, and I will only gybe if I absolutely have to... Sure, it's a PITA, but really not that much more work than setting it to begin with, the pole is already up off the deck, and whatnot... I generally snuff it for gybing anyway ( I never use a lazy sheet), so it's really not that big a deal for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Jon--You might want to add a reaching strut to the after-guy in that shot. That life-line stanchion amidships will be glad you did by the look of it.
Good eye, but I'm generally pretty careful about those leads, that stanchion might not be as heavily loaded as it looks... No way I'm gonna bother with a reaching strut, too...

I believe on that particular day, I was getting ready to douse it, anyway (the conditions were getting a bit sportier than the photo appears to indicate) I think I had eased the pole forward, making it easier to work the sock, when I thought I should probably take a pic, before dropping it...

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it... (grin)
Old 04-15-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Agreed, I've never understood why so many assume an asymetrical cannot be flown from a pole, or carried DDW...
Gennaker DDW

Poled out

Flying free

But I do prefer to broad reach and gybe.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-15-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

DOne some wing on wing with a AS/genneker too, but helps to pole the clew like one would a jib to keep it that way, otherwise any slight variation of dead downwind makes the AS go tot he other side etc.

Marty
Old 04-16-2013
always busy with sailing

We had a pretty good run wing and wing a few weeks ago (click for larger):
Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?-gennaker-wing-wing.jpg

No pole, but it didn't seem to need it. We did have a preventer.

It was a little surprising that it worked out, this was sailing from Shilshole to Port Madison, and it's abnormal to have a ESE wind.

It seems like using the pole to move the tack left (relative to my photo), centering the sail, would generally be better than using the pole like whisker pole to stay out the sail.
Old 04-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Alex,

You would have been better off to use a pole to move the tack right, at least how I see your pic, with the clew to the left, ie opposite side. NOT wing on wing if you were to use a pole.

Marty
Old 05-31-2013
always busy with sailing

I'm bringing back this old thread.

I got a pole and have started rigging for it. When using the pole with the asym on the tack I assume it should be setup just a symmetrical spinnaker, with a topping lift, down haul and guys?

I'm starting to think that I should just get a symmetrical spinnaker as well for racing. Being able to use the lazy sheet as the after guy saves a fair amount of rigging, and jybes will be easier as well.
Old 05-31-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Alex W, in your previous photo you had the Asym winged out like genoa going wing-on-wing. Are you planning on doing this some more? Or are you planning on poling out the tack like a symmetric? If the latter, then yes, you will need a topper and fore/after guys to stabilize the pole tip. The advantage of poling out the tack is you can actually project the kite out to windward and get better drive out of the sail. From a competitive racing standpoint, you will pay a PHRF penalty for having an “articulating bowsprit” (but who said anything about racing). Akites are designed to be sailed at hotter wind angles of 150 -165 degrees. You can “cheat” on the angle by increasing the distance between the kite and main with a bowsprit. Projecting the luff to windward is even better. The boats that do better under akites are the lighter, (planing? Think the ones Paulo likes) faster boats that get better VMG at hotter angles. Our boats are best served with symmetrics so we can hold a deeper angle. But on the other hand, A-kites are simple to rig and are easy to use single or double handed.

In your previous picture whisker poling out the clew, your boat is forced to go DDW which is slow. Remember that even spinnakers have a luff and leach and the air flows in only that direction. Don’t think by whisker poling out the clew, you are reversing the airflow over the sail.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 05-31-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2013
always busy with sailing

That was someone else's photo where it was poled out. I've never used my pole before, I just got it about 5 or 6 weeks ago.

I was going to pole out the tack. I'm climbing the mast tonight to install a topping lift.

I have the asym and use it cruising. We occasionally race the boat and I'm trying to use the pole on the tack of the asym to bring it farther to windward and run deeper.