SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98451-dousing-cruising-asym-without-blowing-tack.html)

peterchech 04-12-2013 06:11 PM

Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
I picked up a used asym spinnaker a few months ago. I hooked up the tackline (downhaul) at the bow, sort of like this: Asymmetrical Spinnaker

except that the tackline is in FRONT of the forestay, to allow outside jibes. ( also have hank-on jibs so the tack of the asym is just hooked to the forestay with a carabiner). My tackline is led back to a camcleat in the cockpit (this line was formerly the downhaul for the symmetrical kite).

Hoisting and dousing in light air was cake a few days ago, but I'm a little perplexed about how to do so in breeze. Since the tack of the asym is attached to the forestay it's not really possible to "blow the tack" the way you would blow the guy, for dousing. So how do you douse in breeze without shrimping?

Alex W 04-12-2013 06:15 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
We have a sock, which makes it pretty trivial.

Blanket it with the main is the other common approach that I've seen recommended.

I did also see one asym with a belly button line that could be used to invert and depower it. That seems like it would be hard on the sail.

Faster 04-12-2013 06:45 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
Don't attach the tack to the forestay... it actually allows you to sail deeper as the whole sail will 'roll' around and the tack moves off center to stay out of the lee of the main. Then you can blow the tack from the tack line and haul sheet.

Sailing higher angles just pull the tack line down more so the tack can't blow too far off to leeward.

jackdale 04-12-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1015878)
Don't attach the tack to the forestay... it actually allows you to sail deeper as the whole sail will 'roll' around and the tack moves off center to stay out of the lee of the main. Then you can blow the tack from the tack line and haul sheet.

Sailing higher angles just pull the tack line down more so the tack can't blow too far off to leeward.

I am a fan of tack straps and tack hanks. I find I get better control especially when reaching. The luff will still come around when sailing at deeper angles.

jsaronson 04-12-2013 07:25 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
If you run the tack line thruough A block you can release the tack line It is close to blowing the guy.

Faster 04-12-2013 07:32 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1015882)
I am a fan of tack stray and tack hanks. I find I get better control especially when reaching. The luff will still come around when sailing at deeper angles.

Understandable... and I agree that it's 'better' reaching with the tack 'fixed' but if you don't have a sock being able to blow the tack and retrieve the sail under the boom makes life a lot easier on windy takedowns.

We have used A sail that came of a Farrier Tri.. it has no tack hank but we've managed alright without ti.

jackdale 04-12-2013 07:42 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1015896)
Understandable... and I agree that it's 'better' reaching with the tack 'fixed' but if you don't have a sock being able to blow the tack and retrieve the sail under the boom makes life a lot easier on windy takedowns.

We have used A sail that came of a Farrier Tri.. it has no tack hank but we've managed alright without ti.


On a gennaker without a dousing bag I like the snap shackle spliced onto the tackline and the hank for the forestay attached to the spliced loop. The snap shackle then allows you to blow the tack when needed.

Lately all of the gennakers I have used had dousing bags. :)

blt2ski 04-12-2013 07:51 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
How many people do you have on board? if only one or two, a sock is best and easiest. If you have 3+, then you raise the jib, pull down behind the jib letting the halyard down as you might a sym spin. Yeah we will let the tack lose, but not a lot! most is down by letting the halyard down using the jib/genoa as a blanket. I think Ihave some pics somewhere. Altho I am thinking it might be dousing with out the jib......hmmmmm.....need to find them pics dodenja took at the end of a race with my kids/crew sailing the boat. I was rc in the major regatta we do........

I also agree, that an actual tack line attached forward of the forestay makes things MUCH easier. THen run that line to the cockpit.

Marty

peterchech 04-12-2013 08:32 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1015899)
On a gennaker without a dousing bag I like the snap shackle spliced onto the tackline and the hank for the forestay attached to the spliced loop. The snap shackle then allows you to blow the tack when needed.

Lately all of the gennakers I have used had dousing bags. :)

Could u explain this a little more? What splice loop are u referring to and how do u release the snap shackle without having to go forward to the bow?

peterchech 04-12-2013 08:35 PM

Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1015878)
Don't attach the tack to the forestay... it actually allows you to sail deeper as the whole sail will 'roll' around and the tack moves off center to stay out of the lee of the main. Then you can blow the tack from the tack line and haul sheet.

Sailing higher angles just pull the tack line down more so the tack can't blow too far off to leeward.

To think about it, sport boats flying the kite off a sprit don't have a forestay to attach the tack to...

So why do all the cruising asym setups seem to hank the tack to the guy? To keep the kite off the bow pulpit maybe?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012