Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?

I picked up a used asym spinnaker a few months ago. I hooked up the tackline (downhaul) at the bow, sort of like this: Asymmetrical Spinnaker

except that the tackline is in FRONT of the forestay, to allow outside jibes. ( also have hank-on jibs so the tack of the asym is just hooked to the forestay with a carabiner). My tackline is led back to a camcleat in the cockpit (this line was formerly the downhaul for the symmetrical kite).

Hoisting and dousing in light air was cake a few days ago, but I'm a little perplexed about how to do so in breeze. Since the tack of the asym is attached to the forestay it's not really possible to "blow the tack" the way you would blow the guy, for dousing. So how do you douse in breeze without shrimping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?

We have a sock, which makes it pretty trivial.

Blanket it with the main is the other common approach that I've seen recommended.

I did also see one asym with a belly button line that could be used to invert and depower it. That seems like it would be hard on the sail.
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Don't attach the tack to the forestay... it actually allows you to sail deeper as the whole sail will 'roll' around and the tack moves off center to stay out of the lee of the main. Then you can blow the tack from the tack line and haul sheet.

Sailing higher angles just pull the tack line down more so the tack can't blow too far off to leeward.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-12-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Don't attach the tack to the forestay... it actually allows you to sail deeper as the whole sail will 'roll' around and the tack moves off center to stay out of the lee of the main. Then you can blow the tack from the tack line and haul sheet.

Sailing higher angles just pull the tack line down more so the tack can't blow too far off to leeward.
I am a fan of tack straps and tack hanks. I find I get better control especially when reaching. The luff will still come around when sailing at deeper angles.
CS Cruiser likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 04-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

If you run the tack line thruough A block you can release the tack line It is close to blowing the guy.
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I am a fan of tack stray and tack hanks. I find I get better control especially when reaching. The luff will still come around when sailing at deeper angles.
Understandable... and I agree that it's 'better' reaching with the tack 'fixed' but if you don't have a sock being able to blow the tack and retrieve the sail under the boom makes life a lot easier on windy takedowns.

We have used A sail that came of a Farrier Tri.. it has no tack hank but we've managed alright without ti.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-12-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Understandable... and I agree that it's 'better' reaching with the tack 'fixed' but if you don't have a sock being able to blow the tack and retrieve the sail under the boom makes life a lot easier on windy takedowns.

We have used A sail that came of a Farrier Tri.. it has no tack hank but we've managed alright without ti.

On a gennaker without a dousing bag I like the snap shackle spliced onto the tackline and the hank for the forestay attached to the spliced loop. The snap shackle then allows you to blow the tack when needed.

Lately all of the gennakers I have used had dousing bags.
Faster and kellysails like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-12-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

How many people do you have on board? if only one or two, a sock is best and easiest. If you have 3+, then you raise the jib, pull down behind the jib letting the halyard down as you might a sym spin. Yeah we will let the tack lose, but not a lot! most is down by letting the halyard down using the jib/genoa as a blanket. I think Ihave some pics somewhere. Altho I am thinking it might be dousing with out the jib......hmmmmm.....need to find them pics dodenja took at the end of a race with my kids/crew sailing the boat. I was rc in the major regatta we do........

I also agree, that an actual tack line attached forward of the forestay makes things MUCH easier. THen run that line to the cockpit.

Marty
flo617 likes this.
Old 04-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
On a gennaker without a dousing bag I like the snap shackle spliced onto the tackline and the hank for the forestay attached to the spliced loop. The snap shackle then allows you to blow the tack when needed.

Lately all of the gennakers I have used had dousing bags.
Could u explain this a little more? What splice loop are u referring to and how do u release the snap shackle without having to go forward to the bow?
Old 04-12-2013

Quote:

To think about it, sport boats flying the kite off a sprit don't have a forestay to attach the tack to...

So why do all the cruising asym setups seem to hank the tack to the guy? To keep the kite off the bow pulpit maybe?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.